OEM / FZ1 Mirror Comparison

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use those 2" round convex accessory stick-on mirrors from any auto parts store on ALL my vehilces!! Four bucks total. Alcohol the lower outside corner of each stock mirror, you got view everywhere.

The second picture of the red truck is obviously photoshopped. :p

j/k, thanks for the very helpful pics. I was wondering how much of a difference they made. Damn, now I just need another payday to roll by....

anyone using the Emgo brand for $23 bucks each? https://tinyurl.com/2rnlbr
I had a set of these on my FJR when I bought it....they were falling apart and they were starting to move freely about 1/2 inch when I got up to around 70+....hard to see when they change themselves. I took them off and put the stock ones back on but I am considering getting the OEM FZ1 mirror's for it soon.

Which FZ1 mirrors did you use? Gen 1 or Gen 2 the Gen 2 are more $, they both have a diffrent part# but are they the same part?

Thanks

Which FZ1 mirrors did you use? Gen 1 or Gen 2 the Gen 2 are more $, they both have a diffrent part# but are they the same part?
Thanks
If you were directing this question to clocklaw, I believe he had aftermarket FZ1 mirrors, probably EMGO brand.

The Yamaha mirrors that you want are part numbers 5LV-26280-00-00 and 5LV-26290-00-00.

I'm pretty sure those are from the 1st gens FZ1.

anyone using the Emgo brand for $23 bucks each? https://tinyurl.com/2rnlbr
I had a set of these on my FJR when I bought it....they were falling apart and they were starting to move freely about 1/2 inch when I got up to around 70+....hard to see when they change themselves. I took them off and put the stock ones back on but I am considering getting the OEM FZ1 mirror's for it soon.

Don't waste your time with these. As a matter of fact, for the cost of shipping, I could be talked into taking mine off. Which I probably will do before the snow melts. As clocklaw said, they fall back towards the rider about 1/2 to 3/4 inch. And to look at the stamped rivet, it doesn't look repairable.

I don't know if I will go back to stock or get the yami fz1 mirrors, all I ever see back there is my friends harleys :rolleyes:

Ahhhhhh.............search is a wonderful thing! Good info here folks. Thanks for the part #s Fred.

Question: Has anyone tried the Gen II FZ-1 mirrors (2006+)? The part #s provided by Wicked Webby?

I am just wondering how they compare, or if they even work on the FJR.

The Gen 2 FZ 1 mirrors will not work for the FJR the bolt spacing is different, (wider) ask me how I know

The Gen 2 FZ 1 mirrors will not work for the FJR the bolt spacing is different, (wider) ask me how I know
Excellent info! Much thanks.

You should at least take satisfaction in knowing that your pain should help others not make the same mistake. :clapping:

Or something like that. :blink:

Okay, I finally did this mod recently when I picked up a used set of OEM FZ1 mirrors off eBay for $13 shipped. The backs are scratched a bit, but I'm fine with that.

Good Lord, why did I wait so long? It turns out that there's a whole world of stuff going on behind my bike. There's cars and trees and people and trucks and animals and buildings and everything. Who knew?

I don't think you lose a thing on the aesthetic front. They look a little different, but they still look like they belong there. The gain in vision, for me, is surprising. :thumbsupsmiley: on this suggestion.

Hey, dude!!!
Your clutch lever is missing... :p
Wow I just checked..... My clutch lever is missing tooo.. That looks exactly like mine. Hand guards, no clutch,

just curious how do these FZ1 mirrors do with the chronic vibration that the right mirror always seems to have?

I had major problems with rear view. I had seen this thread using FZ1 mirrors, but I didnt like the look, so I decided to make some oval spacers in the same profile as the rubber gasket. I extended the studs/bolts with threaded sleeve. The spacers are made out of carbon fibre resin, then clad in carbon fibre cloth and laquered . They are 50mm deep ( 2 inch in american), look very neat and give me the necessary shoulder clearance too. Ill take some photos for if anybody is interested in the look.

Andy

I had major problems with rear view. I had seen this thread using FZ1 mirrors, but I didnt like the look, so I decided to make some oval spacers in the same profile as the rubber gasket. I extended the studs/bolts with threaded sleeve. The spacers are made out of carbon fibre resin, then clad in carbon fibre cloth and laquered . They are 50mm deep ( 2 inch in american), look very neat and give me the necessary shoulder clearance too. Ill take some photos for if anybody is interested in the look.
Andy

And you think they look better with the spacers than a set of FZ1 mirrors? Yes, we will need some pictures! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy

And you think they look better with the spacers than a set of FZ1 mirrors? Yes, we will need some pictures! ;)
You maybe right there, :D

FJR wing mirror spacers for wide shoulder riders

1239450601676.jpg

1239450582824.jpg

Andy

That's a nice, neat job with making the spacers, Andy. Those don't look all that bad (I've seen worse).

But honestly, I still prefer the bug antennae look of the FZ1 mirrors to having that spacer block showing.

Maybe you could design some sort of a "vanity skirt" or at least color match them to your bike so they do not stick out so badly.

BTW, if you figure out an aesthetically pleasing mirror spacer block system for 2nd gens I guaran-damn-tee you could sell a butt load of them.

I think it needs the whole mirror re-desiging due to the pivot spoiling the flow from the base mounting point. I do think there is a market there though.

Andy