Official SW-FOG 2015 Announcement: 5/28-31, THU-SUN!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And what was wrong with the Best Western??
Absolutely nothing at all AJ, in my not so humble opinion the Red Hills BW is still the #1 hotel of choice. The Holiday Inn Express is newer, so if erixun and/or Stealth1 will check them both out for us in the next few months we will then make our decision. JSNS!
Ok...

And what was wrong with the Best Western??
I thought the Holiday Inn was just a runner up or an overflow hotel if the Best Western fills up....
Gotcha...I was just hoping we weren't gonna get into some hotel locating cluster. Definitely not your fault, just wasn't sure where we were going with this.

I am planning on riding over next week to eyeball the facilities. I'm going on the assumption that the Best Western is the #1 pick. I'll see what else may be within walking distance of the Best Western in case of overflow or in case someone has a problem with the BW.

It's 82 miles from my house to the BW and half of those are on hwy 14. It's a tough job but I can handle it.

I didn't go this week because tomorrow is the start of a long holiday weekend here in Utah.

I am planning on riding over next week to eyeball the facilities. I'm going on the assumption that the Best Western is the #1 pick. I'll see what else may be within walking distance of the Best Western in case of overflow or in case someone has a problem with the BW.It's 82 miles from my house to the BW and half of those are on hwy 14. It's a tough job but I can handle it.

I didn't go this week because tomorrow is the start of a long holiday weekend here in Utah.
Many thanks to you Brother John, this is very much appreciated! jes' sayin' and nuff said, ese!

Just a little historical perspective, for what it's worth. The original Holiday Inn Express in Kanab was not built on an Indian burial ground, but it was built on what is locally called "blue clay". It is a soil type that causes lots of problems in southern Utah with structures. The soil can move, with impressive and sometimes spectacular detrimental effects to buildings constructed on it.

We used to have meetings at the original Holiday Inn Express which was just east of Kanab on Hwy 89, after the structure started disassembling itself, due to the blue clay, they effected repairs, but the motel became the Comfort Inn, and a brand new Holiday Inn Express was constructed in town. It's a nice facility, at least it was the last time I visited there a little over two years ago.

We also have had meetings at the Best Western Red Hills. It is an older motel. Some of the meeting rooms we used didn't have windows, which was kinda weird. My impression was that it was an older building, but fairly well maintained.

I am planning on riding over next week to eyeball the facilities. I'm going on the assumption that the Best Western is the #1 pick. I'll see what else may be within walking distance of the Best Western in case of overflow or in case someone has a problem with the BW.It's 82 miles from my house to the BW and half of those are on hwy 14. It's a tough job but I can handle it.

Check out the Treasure Trail Motel while you're there. It's right across the street from the BW and looks to be more "parking lot BS" friendly than the BW but lower budget. Possibly lower rent/overflow motel? We keep promising to stop there but never got out of our BW rut. Plus, we get points at the BW!
smilingsmiley.gif

https://www.treasuretrailkanab.com/

Mixed reviews but pet friendly for Marcus!

https://plus.google.com/110434436601834359451/about?gl=us&hl=en#110434436601834359451/about?gl=us&hl=en

Some route planning.....

I don't often shout the prases of interstate riding but the stretch thru the Virgin River Canyon on I-15 is pretty awesome. Not unlike the run on I-70 between Frisco and Rifle but significantly shorter. From about 10 miles south of St. George to about Bunkerville (you can stop and visit Cliven Bundy!
laugh.png
) is the best part. Also, the route there can be...ah..."interesting" if you go south on 389/59 or scenic thru Zion if you go north on 89/9. Possibly out one way and back the other. An easy day at about 240 mile round trip with lunch in St. George.

Check out the Treasure Trail Motel while you're there. It's right across the street from the BW and looks to be more "parking lot BS" friendly than the BW but lower budget. Possibly lower rent/overflow motel? We keep promising to stop there but never got out of our BW rut. Plus, we get points at the BW!
smilingsmiley.gif

https://www.treasuretrailkanab.com/

Mixed reviews but pet friendly for Marcus!

https://plus.google.com/110434436601834359451/about?gl=us&hl=en#110434436601834359451/about?gl=us&hl=en
Thanks to you for Treasure Trail Motel referral BwanaDik, this looks extremely promising! erixun and stealth1: Could you please check this hotel out for us?

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now I'm looking at riding over Monday morning early enough to check out several places.

I figure that in addition to what most people want in a hotel, a moto gathering also needs a gathering area for parking and socializing, and dining establishments within walking distance.

Any more suggestions for places to check out, post it this weekend and I'll try to check it out.

Right now I'm looking at riding over Monday morning early enough to check out several places.I figure that in addition to what most people want in a hotel, a moto gathering also needs a gathering area for parking and socializing, and dining establishments within walking distance.

Any more suggestions for places to check out, post it this weekend and I'll try to check it out.
Cool, thanks. I had to run out of town for a couple of weeks- the earliest I could even think about getting down there is about the 19th of August now. Sorry- s%$# happens.

Right now I'm looking at riding over Monday morning early enough to check out several places.I figure that in addition to what most people want in a hotel, a moto gathering also needs a gathering area for parking and socializing, and dining establishments within walking distance.

John, if you would check out the BW Red Hills, Holiday Inn Express and Treasure Trail Motel that would be perfect. Perhaps talk to the Manager and let him know of our yearly SW-FOG Events going back a dozen years. Best Western Kachina Inn of Taos, New Mexico could be a Reference, if needed. Of course, except for Galaxy Blue and Patch308 "spooning" in the spa! JSNS!

Does anyone know how many rooms we can expect to fill?

I was thinking maybe 25 or 30.

Thunderstorms and flash flood warnings today. Looks like it could start any minute. I could make it over there and back, but not ideal weather for walking around and checking out hotels.

Tomorrow's forecast looks better and Wednesday better still.

I'll check the weather again tomorrow morning and see what it looks like.

The weather forecasters around here don't seem to be to good at calling anything more than 24 hours out.

Thunderstorms and flash flood warnings today. Looks like it could start any minute. I could make it over there and back, but not ideal weather for walking around and checking out hotels.Tomorrow's forecast looks better and Wednesday better still.

The weather forecasters around here don't seem to be to good at calling anything more than 24 hours out.

Good you guys are getting some rain!! Send some up here.

Thunderstorms and flash flood warnings today. Looks like it could start any minute. I could make it over there and back, but not ideal weather for walking around and checking out hotels.Tomorrow's forecast looks better and Wednesday better still.

No hurry Juan, do this at YOUR convenience! JSNS!