Official SW-FOG 2015 Announcement: 5/28-31, THU-SUN!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made it over to Kanab today.

1st stop Best Western. Rooms looked good. Parking area not visible from street, which is nice. Group rates would run $99.99 + tax which made it 113.19 total. Problem is they are booked for Saturday night and couldn't give us any rooms for Saturday night.

Next 2 stops, Holiday Inn Express and Parry Lodge were also booked up for Saturday night. Of these three I think BW was best location. If we want to stay there we would have to make this a Wednesday thru Saturday thing instead of Thursday thru Sunday.

I stopped at the Treasure Trail and talked to Betty, the clerk on duty. She said I needed to talk to the owner about any kind of group rates. It is an older motel with many different types of rooms and rates depending on size and when they were last renovated. She said they had not taken any reservations for that weekend so we could get in there Thursday-Sunday. The owner will not be back until Friday or Saturday. I looked at a couple of the older rooms. They showed their age but looked clean.She said rates generally run $60-$85 depending on room but said we would have to speak to owner about price that far out. She did say they loved motorcycles.

The Rodeway also has openings for that weekend and said they would give a group rate of 84.90, tax included. Didn't like their location as much, a couple of blocks off the main drag. Most rooms had micro and fridge though.

At Rodeway or Treasure Trail we would probably take up 90% of the rooms.

Thanks stealth1, I'm shocked Saturday May 30 of 2015 is already booked out for our first three picks! But with the Utah National Parks and North Rim of the Grand Canyon so close to Kanab, we just have to accept the fact this area is very popular for the incredible scenery and fantastic Motorcycle Roads available! JSNS!

1) I intend to call Treasure Trail Motel and see if I can work out a rate for 5/28-31, Thursday through Sunday!

2) stealth1, I remember seeing a large motel in Mount Carmel Junction. Would this work for our lodging needs?

3) John, my Son Seth and I've skied at Brian Head Utah. Would their Ski Lodge have enough room for SW-FOG?

There are evidently 2 large tour groups that are going to be in Kanab that Saturday and they have locked up a lot of rooms.

The Best Western at Mt. Carmel Jct is probably where you are thinking about. That area is relatively pricey due to there proximity to Zion NP. Fewer restaurant choices in Mt. Carmel also.

There are a few things open at Brian Head in the summer but I'm not sure about lodgings.

There are evidently 2 large tour groups that are going to be in Kanab that Saturday and they have locked up a lot of rooms.The Best Western at Mt. Carmel Jct is probably where you are thinking about. That area is relatively pricey due to there proximity to Zion NP. Fewer restaurant choices in Mt. Carmel also.

There are a few things open at Brian Head in the summer but I'm not sure about lodgings.
Brother John, those two large tour groups that are going to be in Kanab that same weekend has me really thinking about moving SW-FOG 2015 to Brian Head!

1) Cedar Breaks Lodge has openings for that weekend: For a room with two queen beds it is $139 on Thursday night and $169 for Saturday and Sunday nights. https://www.cedarbreakslodge.com/b3ta2/ https://www.facebook.com/CedarBreaksLodge For being the most expensive hotel in Brian Head, Utah it did not have great reviews! https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g56941-d99719-Reviews-Cedar_Breaks_Lodge-Brian_Head_Utah.html (435) 677-3000

2) The Grand Lodge also has opening for that weekend: For a room with two queen beds it is $119 on Thurday night and $129 on Saturday and Sunday nights. https://www.grandlodgeatbrianhead.com (435) 677-9000 https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g56941-d99717-Reviews-Grand_Lodge_at_Brian_Head-Brian_Head_Utah.html

3) Copper Chase Condominiums really seems to be the best deal, only $88 a night allowing up to four people for the Studio Condos. This would be ideal for The Stanley Clan: Donna and Don in the Queen Bed and Son Seth on the sleeper sofa. Full kitchen, so HotRodZilla can whip up his famous Carne Asada Burritos and Roja Menudo Rico! https://copperchase.com https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g56941-d966797-Reviews-Copper_Chase_Condominiums-Brian_Head_Utah.html 1-888-677-2890

Description

OUR STUDIO CONDOS FEATURE A FULL KITCHEN W/FULL SIZE APPLIANCES FOR ALL OF YOUR COOKING NEEDS. THEY ALSO INCLUDE A QUEEN SIZE BED AND A SLEEPER SOFA. ALL OF OUR UNITS INCLUDE A TV W/DVD OR VHS PLAYER. THE BATHROOM BOASTS A DEEP 6 FT. JETTED BATHTUB TO WORK THOSE SORE MUSCLES AFTER A GREAT DAY OF SKIING OR SNOWBOARDING.OUR AMENNITIES INCLUDE AN INDOOR HEATED POOL, HOT TUB, WEIGHT ROOM, AND DRY SAUNAS IN EACH OF THE MENS AND WOMENS LOCKER ROOMS.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are evidently 2 large tour groups that are going to be in Kanab that Saturday and they have locked up a lot of rooms.The Best Western at Mt. Carmel Jct is probably where you are thinking about. That area is relatively pricey due to there proximity to Zion NP. Fewer restaurant choices in Mt. Carmel also.

Brother John, those two large tour groups that are going to be in Kanab that same weekend has me really thinking about moving SW-FOG 2015 to Brian Head!
Wouldn't it be easier to the change the dates to another earlier weekend in May or mid-week when there isn't so much demand on the motels and so many tourists in the area.

Wouldn't it be easier to the change the dates to another earlier weekend in May or mid-week when there isn't so much demand on the motels and so many tourists in the area.
Cannot do an earlier weekend in May, but Monday thru Thurday - 6/1 to 6/4 OR Tuesday thru Friday - 6/2 to 6/5 are a possibility, but Papa Chuy Viejo is looking harder towards switching the venue over to Brian Head, Utah. Brian Head is closer to ALL of the Utah National Parks and is only 155 miles from the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

On top of that, Brian Head sits at 10K feet and they never have had a day exceeding 85F; coming from Phoenix and Albuquerque like AJ and I are, that sounds good to us! JSNS!

Cannot do an earlier weekend in May, but Monday thru Thurday - 6/1 to 6/4 OR Tuesday thru Friday - 6/2 to 6/5 are a possibility, but Papa Chuy Viejo is looking harder towards switching the venue over to Brian Head, Utah. Brian Head is closer to ALL of the Utah National Parks and is only 155 miles from the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

On top of that, Brian Head sits at 10K feet and they never have had a day exceeding 85F; coming from Phoenix and Albuquerque like AJ and I are, that sounds good to us! JSNS!
The flip side of 10K elevation and cool weather is that we may get stuck in a snow storm that early in the year and anyone with heart or breathing problems may find that 10K elevation is out of their comfort zone.

The flip side of 10K elevation and cool weather is that we may get stuck in a snow storm that early in the year and anyone with heart or breathing problems may find that 10K elevation is out of their comfort zone.
NOTE: I will be calling The Treasure Trail Motel on Friday 8/1 at Noon and I certainly will consider moving SW-FOG to mid week if a majority of SW-FOG Attendees want it moved to the first week of June in 2015 so that we can keep it in Kanab, Utah. However since I have been a very active Participant and Promoter of SW-FOG since the first year in 2005, here is some past SW-FOG History that I have personally lived and experienced since the very first SW-FOG!

The first two SW-FOG Meets were held at a 10K ski resort elevation in New Mexico and no one died or were we snowed in, even though I sometimes do look like death warmed over (or worse!). We stayed here for three nights and nobody croaked: "Kachina Village, at over 10,350 feet, houses Bavarian Restaurant and two condo complexes and accommodates six permanent residents and visitors in 30 condo units;"

I took over SW-FOG from Reid Hester for the third year as Rally Master and I have been Rally Master of SW-FOG for all of those years, except for the two when Scott and Sean did an outstanding job with the Salida, Colorado SW-FOG's at 7.1K feet. As a matter of record, ALL of the TEN SW-FOG's have been held at locations in excess of 6K feet except for Tombstone, Arizona with an elevation of 4.5K feet. The OK Corral SW-FOG did get a dusting of snow, but that was held in the month of April. Badcat Burk was my Co-Rally Master.

In the photo below of the First SW-FOG you can see Skip - zzzzip third from the left, Rally Master Reid Hester is in the Hawaiian print shirt and I am behind the camera! I promise, I won't kill you! JSNS!

DSCN0399-2.jpg

You can check with John, although he hasn't lived in Cedar City that long, about the snow conditions in early June. As I recall, Cedar Breaks, which is at 11k elevation, sometimes is not open in early June.

You can check with John, although he hasn't lived in Cedar City that long, about the snow conditions in early June. As I recall, Cedar Breaks, which is at 11k elevation, sometimes is not open in early June.
PLEASE NOTE: I will be calling The Treasure Trail Motel on Friday 8/1 at Noon and I certainly will consider moving SW-FOG to mid week if a majority of SW-FOG Attendees want it moved to the first week of June in 2015 so that we can keep it in Kanab, Utah. jes' sayin' and nuff said, dammit!

I'd be very surprised to see much snow in june, and a June snowstorm is very unlikely. Even at 10k, most last snow is the 2nd week of April. That's why all ski areas close Easter Sunday. NEVER listen to anyone that lives below 3k feet. They have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to weather at elevation. Those dorks think cotton is ok to wear in the cold. Lol

Wednesday- Saturday would be ok, but not as good as Thursday to Sunday. Tuesday to Friday, I'd prolly be out.

I like the sound of those Condos.

This spring we had one foot of snow on May 12 down here at 5600 feet in Cedar. They had lots more at Brian Head. That was unusual weather though. Lots of trees here broke under the load because they had already leafed out.

According to my gps I am sitting 166 miles from North Rim, AZ here in my house in Cedar City. I know from experience that I am 1 hour 40 from the entrance to Bryce, 1 hour from west entrance to Zion, less than 20 minutes to Kolob Canyon entrance to Zion and roughly 35 minutes to Cedar Breaks National Monument

Just food for thought.

John

This spring we had one foot of snow on May 12 down here at 5600 feet in Cedar. They had lots more at Brian Head. That was unusual weather though. Lots of trees here broke under the load because they had already leafed out.According to my gps I am sitting 166 miles from North Rim, AZ here in my house in Cedar City. I know from experience that I am 1 hour 40 from the entrance to Bryce, 1 hour from west entrance to Zion, less than 20 minutes to Kolob Canyon entrance to Zion and roughly 35 minutes to Cedar Breaks National Monument

Just food for thought.

John
John, we are still in the very early planning stages: But, we certainly have not ruled out Cedar City as a base camp for SW-FOG 2015! My Brother In Law Jay and his Family lived in Cedar City from 1971 to 1981, My Wife and I visited them twice a year in Summer and Winter. That was when I was skiing Brian Head on a regular basis for a decade, I am still highly impressed with Cedar City, Utah and it would make a fantastic SW-FOG 2015 location! JSNS!

I like Cedar City because it is so close to everything and about 1/2 to 1/3 the cost on lodging. Also, you are only 12 miles to a National Forest when leaving town. My trips to SWFOG are usually 12-16 days and run 4500 to 6000 miles. Lodging is a major expense and I try to keep the costs down, so any good location that doesn't cost an arm and a leg is better for me. Other words, every little bit helps.

I'd be very surprised to see much snow in june, and a June snowstorm is very unlikely. Even at 10k, most last snow is the 2nd week of April. That's why all ski areas close Easter Sunday. NEVER listen to anyone that lives below 3k feet. They have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to weather at elevation. Those dorks think cotton is ok to wear in the cold. Lol
Wednesday- Saturday would be ok, but not as good as Thursday to Sunday. Tuesday to Friday, I'd prolly be out.

I like the sound of those Condos. I like the sound of Bust breathing softly on the pillow beside me.
Fixed.

Well, I'm hoping Mr Stanley gets a warm reception from the folks at The Treasure Trail Motel. The location is good, the ratings on TripAdvisor are positive, they are pet friendly and not too expensive (AAA). So what if the place is a bit "retro"... the folks who provided feedback on-line said it was clean and the AC worked.

The cost of accommodations outweighs the dates or time frame for me. The cheaper the room, the longer I get to stay & ride around to all the stuff I want to see.

Well, I'm hoping Mr Stanley gets a warm reception from the folks at The Treasure Trail Motel. The location is good, the ratings on TripAdvisor are positive, they are pet friendly and not too expensive (AAA). So what if the place is a bit "retro"... the folks who provided feedback on-line said it was clean and the AC worked.
The cost of accommodations outweighs the dates or time frame for me. The cheaper the room, the longer I get to stay & ride around to all the stuff I want to see.
https://www.treasuretrailkanab.com Owner is still out of town, but I left my phone number and she will call me as soon as she returns! 29 rooms are still available!

Start booking your SW-FOG rooms ASAP at The Treasure Trail Motel, Donna-Don-Seth are now booked so: Only 28 rooms left. ALL of the booking information is listed below, you must mention Southwest Fog!

Saturday, Aug 2, 2014

Dear Don,

We look forward to your visit and want you to know that we will do everything possible to make your stay pleasant and enjoyable.

Your confirmation number is: #xxx60. We have you confirmed for:

RESERVATION/PURCHASE INFORMATION (#xxx60)
Don Stanley
Southwest Fog
Chandler, AZ 85225 USA
[email protected] 480 440 4666
Estimated Arrival: --
Birthday: --
Anniversary: -- Thu, May 28, 2015 123 2 Queen Beds • Pet Friendly Guests: 3 $70.00 Fri, May 29, 2015 123 2 Queen Beds • Pet Friendly Guests: 3 $70.00 Sat, May 30, 2015 123 2 Queen Beds • Pet Friendly Guests: 3 $70.00 Total: $237.75 Tax: $27.75 Sub Total: $210.00

DETAILS
Sub Total: $210.00 Tax: $27.75 Total: $237.75 Paid: $0.00 Due: $237.75

Thanks Don, look forward to having you and your group. Rebecca

Our Policies:

By clicking the 'I Agree' button, I have read and agreed to the following policies:

The Treasure Trail Motel is an exclusive property where every guest reservation is both important and special to us.

PAYMENT: A credit card is taken to secure your reservation, but will not be charged until the day of check in. Payment in full for your entire reservation is due upon check-in. Should you provide false or incorrect credit card information, your reservation will be cancelled.

CANCELLATION POLICY; If your travel plans change and you must cancel your reservation, please call us 72 hours prior to your arrival date to cancel your reservation. In the unlikely event that you must cancel with less than 72 hours notice, shorten your stay or check out early, please understand that we must ask you to take responsibility for your entire reservation. No refunds will be given within the 72 hour cancellation period. All cancellations are subject to a $15.00 processing fee.

DISCOUNTS: To be applied upon check-in only, at the front desk, i.e. Best Friends, Cash, Triple A, Senior Cash Discount. Discounts not valid after check-in.

CHECK-IN: 3:00 PM - 11:00 PM.

LATE ARRIVAL: If arriving outside of check-in times, please call 1-800-603-2687 / 435-644-2687 to make arrangements or your key will be left in the black mailbox marked, 'LATE ARRIVAL' on the red door next to the office.

CHECK OUT: 11:00 AM. Should you or your belongings not be checked out by 11:00 am you will be subject to an additional nights charge.

POOL: Pool hours 9:00 AM - 10:00 PM. No lifeguard on duty, no glass containers permitted on pool deck, children in diapers not permitted in pool, children under the age of 14 require adult supervision.

HOUSEKEEPING POLICY; we are committed to the protection of our environment, therefore, in order to help conserve natural resources, housekeeping will be provided on every 3rd day of your stay and upon departure. Should you require additional linens or service, please see the front desk.

PET POLICY; Pet friendly rooms 112 &117 thru 123 are designated pet rooms with an additional pet fee. Maximum 2 pets per room. No pets are to be left unattended on property or in rooms in excess of 30 minutes, unless crated. Any pet contained shall not be left unattended for more than 3 hours. Any nuisance pet shall be subject to removal at the pet Owners cost. All pet customers must provide at time of check-in a valid and current contact number in the event of an emergency. You are liable for any and all costs or fees associated with damages and or cleaning of flooring and room furnishings. Our pet yard is for our guests' pleasure and convenience so please clean up after your pet.

Pets in non-designated pet rooms will be subject to a $100.00 cleaning fee.

Treasure Trail Motel is a Non-Smoking Facility; smoking in our rooms will result in a damage and clean-up fee of $100.00.

Rates/policies are subject to change and vary during high impact periods and special events.

Lost or un-returned room keys - $10.00 charge.

Thank you for your reservation, we look forward to having you.

Sincerely,

Treasure Trail Motel

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Treasure-Trail-Motel/204236486256313

435-644-2687 (local)
1-800-603-2687 (toll-free)
www.treasuretrailkanab.com

150 W. Center Street
Kanab, UT 84741

Follow us on: Facebook | Trip Advisor