Oil Change Debacle with Drain Plug?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The height of the coil inside the oil pan would cause negligent ADDITIONAL oil retention as these engines are notorious for retaining old oil. Many posts comment on how fast the fresh oil goes dark, minutes even. An extra 1/4" in the bottom would not amount to much in the long run.

Exactly right. The normal engine retains nearly a quart of old oil at oil changes, even when you replace the filter. A few more ounces is not such a big deal.

I've been using the yamaha crush washer and tightening until it crushes. Doesnt seem nearly as tight as it did coming from the dealer, but never leaks.

Damn, performed my first oil change and didn't know any better than to trust the owners manual and tighten to 31 lb-ft. I could tell it was excessive. Luckily it did not strip. WTF, YAMAHA?

I bought a drain plug drilled for safety wire. Drilled a tiny hole in the oil pan boss that protects the drain plug. Tightened it until the gasket squished and wired it. No worries.