Oil Filter Cost And Alternatives

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 things....
I'm highly skeptical about the Scott's rep claiming a 5 hp increase just by changing to their oil filter... as a certain mod has said recently... YGTBSM!

Re: Purolator filters not being motorcycle specific... while they might not have been designed for bikes, there sure are a lot of people running them, and you'd think if they were going to cause problems, we'd have seen them by now.
Please someone tell me what a 'Motorcycle Specific" filter is? They all work the same way, on every type of engine. I would seriously challenge anyone to prove this statement wrong. Oil goes through the filter media, dirt & other things get trapped, and when the filter media plugs up, the bypass valve opens.

If you look into and investigate things, you will find there is no difference between filters, except quality of components. You will find that specifications are available for all filters made, and just about all perform better than stock filter. There is not one motorcycle manufacturer that makes their own filter. They are all sub contracted out a a handfull of companies. Your genuine Yamaha filter is made by Denso.

And yes, I would call Bull crackers on a 5 hp gain claim from changing an oil filter.

There was, years ago, a technical bulletin from Honda to dealers warning them of 'too restrictive' oil filters for some models. About the same time came the recommendation to use lighter engine oils: say 10-40 v/s 20-50 (more like, "stay away from heavy engine oils). The 'timing' of the bulletins tends to lead one to think Honda saw an issue with oil pumping volume in their m/c engines? They also mentioned that they found an increase in leaks (too much pressure, at times, in sensative places) with the use of heavier motor oils.

The very first Honda I ever saw (early '60s) had embossed on the dip-stick, "use 10w-30 oil". Early Hondas relied on centrifugal oil filter devices -- very effective (but, needed to be manually disassembled and cleaned -- albeit at very long intervals).

There was, years ago, a technical bulletin from Honda to dealers warning them of 'too restrictive' oil filters for some models. About the same time came the recommendation to use lighter engine oils: say 10-40 v/s 20-50 (more like, "stay away from heavy engine oils). The 'timing' of the bulletins tends to lead one to think Honda saw an issue with oil pumping volume in their m/c engines? They also mentioned that they found an increase in leaks (too much pressure, at times, in sensative places) with the use of heavier motor oils.The very first Honda I ever saw (early '60s) had embossed on the dip-stick, "use 10w-30 oil". Early Hondas relied on centrifugal oil filter devices -- very effective (but, needed to be manually disassembled and cleaned -- albeit at very long intervals).
My '70's Triumph Trophy & Bonnevilles had fine wire mesh screens in the oil tank & engine. The Triumphs came with a oil pressure switch & warning light. I installed a pressure guage on one instead of the light years ago. The FJR has a oil level light.

By the way, the K&N oil filter for the FJR is sold by Pep Boys $13 (order it & get it in 4 days) & they also sell Castrol Motorcycle Oil for $13/gallon. So, for you guys who live far from a MC dealer but close to Pep Boys this is another option.

I'll take my flogging in advance for this D U M (dumb) question .......but does anyone have the size, thead, pitch of the drain plug? ....want to pick x-tra up while i'm out getting other stuff today.....hope to avoid taking the OEM one down to the parts store to match up.
Did anyone ever get back to you on this John, 'cause I was wondering....?