Our Son Andy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andy was discharged March 31st and would have been headed to a nursing home, instead was sent home as long as we could guarantee 24/7 care.
You guys are the best! Family care at home beats a nursing home, hands down, any day. After Andy's (DH) accident it was expected that he would go to a SNF (Skilled Nursing Facility) but we managed to avoid it. Those kinda places are well intentioned, but the only ones I've ever seen are sad, lonely places staffed by a transient group of overworked, non-English speaking immigrants on minimum wage. The smell as you walk in tells what kind of place it is.

Hope your Andy continues to makes progress. I'm sure he appreciates the first class care he is getting.

Jill
Rog and Deb, I have so much respect for you two.. 'nuf said.

..and Jill, if I ever get busted up bad, will you be my nurse? :rolleyes: It seems you care much more than most nurses I've had, and I've had numerous opportunities to be around nurses..

..and Jill, if I ever get busted up bad, will you be my nurse? :rolleyes: It seems you care much more than most nurses I've had, and I've had numerous opportunities to be around nurses..

So how many nurses have you had? hmmm? :clapping:

Roger and Deb, I have great respect for you, and Andy for trying so hard in such an immensely difficult situation. Mpre good thoughts sent.........

Thanks for the compliment. I guess it all depends on why one chooses to become a nurse. I knew, from being a very little kid, that I wanted to be a nurse. I took a detour, via Mechanical and Production Engineering for a few years but once I got into nursing school, I knew that this was what I was meant to do.

Of course, the hours are something else....... over Easter weekend, I've worked two 12hr shifts and one 16hr shift. :headbonk:

Jill

Thanks for the compliment. I guess it all depends on why one chooses to become a nurse. I knew, from being a very little kid, that I wanted to be a nurse. I took a detour, via Mechanical and Production Engineering for a few years but once I got into nursing school, I knew that this was what I was meant to do.

Of course, the hours are something else....... over Easter weekend, I've worked two 12hr shifts and one 16hr shift. :headbonk:

Jill
:eek:fftopic:

I had a different route, actually went to grad school in a non-nurse NP program to make more money and have a (relatively) quick route to becoming a therapist. Hated being a therapist, but loved being a nurse. Go figure. Now being a nurse practitioner is part of my identity. For better (or sometimes worse), the training and work change people.

Now being a nurse practitioner is part of my identity. For better (or sometimes worse), the training and work change people.
What kind of work do you do as a NP?

I did a two year program, since there was no income while I was a full time student. Once I started working full time, we were able to recover from the financial damage. I looked into advancing my education but the short version of long story is that I didn't do it.

The work that I do (Pediatric ICU staff nurse) is interesting, varied and sometimes challenging. So far, there is something to learn most every day. I've learned a lot about people and about myself since I've done the job.

Perhaps the greatest thing I've learned is to count my blessings. No matter what I'm complaining about, my life is good in comparison to that of many others.

I've often been asked how I can do this work (as have most nurses). The answer is 'How could I do anything else?' I've held a Mother as her child died, then been told that she couldn't have got through it without me. I've seen a child wake up from a month long coma and haltingly play patty cake with her Daddy. I've looked into the eyes of a parent as their recovering child was put into their arms for the first time in many days. I've played with a six year old quadriplegic boy, seeing who could make the best fart noises. I've sat with relieved family members as a child's suffering came to a peaceful end, then five minutes later, raced IV poles down the hallway with another child. The job isn't for everyone, but I know it's for me.

Jill

bump...status update Roger?
Whoa !! OK then. Been out of hospital 2 months now and is doing real good -- a little better every day. Walking as much as he can, now driving OK too. Some residual stuff which will probably stay with him, but that's minor when you consider what could have been. He's now spending quality time with his son who's up from Texas.

Thanks for asking Andrew.

Whoa !! OK then. Been out of hospital 2 months now and is doing real good -- a little better every day. Walking as much as he can, now driving OK too. Some residual stuff which will probably stay with him, but that's minor when you consider what could have been. He's now spending quality time with his son who's up from Texas.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Fantastic to hear! I like good news.

Fantastic to hear! I like good news.
GUNNY!

Been out of hospital 2 months now and is doing real good -- a little better every day. Walking as much as he can, now driving OK too. Some residual stuff which will probably stay with him, but that's minor when you consider what could have been. He's now spending quality time with his son who's up from Texas.
That's great news. Things like this make you value what, and who, is important in your life. The threat of losing what is precious underlines just HOW precious it is.

May he continue to make progress.

Jill

Been out of hospital 2 months now and is doing real good -- a little better every day. Walking as much as he can, now driving OK too. Some residual stuff which will probably stay with him, but that's minor when you consider what could have been. He's now spending quality time with his son who's up from Texas.
That's great news. Things like this make you value what, and who, is important in your life. The threat of losing what is precious underlines just HOW precious it is.

May he continue to make progress.

Jill
Heck, all I had to do was read Tuesdays with Morrie. I hope I don't have to live through that kind of stuff just to learn who is important in my life ;)