Phukkin' Harley Dudes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heh. Those Harleys are high-performance machines! A couple months ago, I had one behind me when the light turned yellow. It was kind of a hot stop, but hey, I have ABS. Then I watched as the Harley slid past me into the intersection with a nice stripe from his locked rear brake. He slid a full bike length past me.
I gave him a nice golf clap as he duck-walked it back, and as a friendly fellow biker, he gave me the "you're #1!" salute.
Wouldn't want to use that front brake, if you pull on it too hard you could go over the ape hangers and land on your nose ;) Or you could scratch the chrome off that front disc... :eek:

As for the guy pulling out to block, I think it's a reaction to the flashing. Flashing your lights is supposed to be a "Hey, I'm here" thing. For most of the public it has become "Move the **** out of the way, asshole!" Europeans understand the flash-to-pass thing. They actually have to demostrate competence to get a license. Most Ammuricuns take it personally.
He was reacting to being called an asshole. Not flashing the lights would have given a clean pass with no reaction. Betcha money. Soon's we find that time machine so we can go back and try it.

(The competence thing is not intended to be a political rant, just a statement of general behavioral differences while driving, them vs. us.)
I was kind enough to turn off my modulator when I saw them ahead. And I didn't flash my lights UNTIL I was already in the other lane.

I really don't understamd the squirrel-knuckle attitude, the doo rag thing, the red hankerchief hanging out of a back pocket, wife-beater shirt, and wearing an extra large athletic cup for a helmet. :angry2:

I know, I know.... it takes all kinds.

[SIZE=8pt]Note to self: add more chlorine to the gene pool.[/SIZE]

Though Brother Shane does speak in truths, I have another theory as pertaining to "The Swerve". The famed Harley Davidson® Wunder-Bar® chassis, combined with the Landau-Ride® suspension could very well be responsible, as it reacted to the Luxo-Touch® throttle input to the Eagle Power Torque-Deluxe II® powerplant. I had a mini-bike would do the same thing when ya wacked the throttle. Turned out to be a bad weld, but ???? In any case, I think he was racing ya.
That's a possibility Rad, but ya prolly oughta rephrase that last sentence, " I think HE THOUGHT he was racing ya."...

The guy in the middle pulls out in front of me and attempts to blocks my pass. WTF???? :angry2:
He was trying to protect you from yourself, you hooligan squid! :rolleyes: Any speed faster than what he's going is an unsafe speed.

Seriously, I don't know where some people get their attitude. A similar thing happened to me just last week on a straight stretch of country road. An old pickup full of farm workers swerved into the oncoming lane to block me from passing.

Man! Can't we save this thread for Friday?

Nothing like a good ole hardly bashing Friday. Just Sayin! :yahoo:

Shortened week-Friday'll be here afore ya knows it.
In that case, I'll point out that the Harleys going 45 MPH were obviously part af a parade.

Why else would anybody drive a motorcycle that slow, unless it's due to lack of skill or lack of confidence in the machinery?

Shortened week-Friday'll be here afore ya knows it.
In that case, I'll point out that the Harleys going 45 MPH were obviously part af a parade.

Why else would anybody drive a motorcycle that slow, unless it's due to lack of skill or lack of confidence in the machinery?
You see, they were going that slow because their loud pipes are their primary safety equipment.

If they go too fast, then their protective sound bubble will no longer extend far enough in front of them to be considered "safe".

They have to keep them under 45 or you won't hear them coming.

For safety sake, the slower the better.

It also sucks when ashes blow into your eyes and do-rags blow off, exposing bald heads to the sun.

And I didn't flash my lights UNTIL I was already in the other lane.
But you did flash, so you called him an asshole. At least in his mind you did. :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
What a tool that guy is to "whip out the sound ordnance" for Johnny Law. Great idea to get into it with the LEO's. He might find himself in the station for a full cavity search, "just for fun". The thing that bugs me is we get lumped in with all the bad characters that love to rev it up to terrorize the old ladies. Carving cayons & mountains is a lot more fun and a lot less people to annoy.

When I owned a Harley I went out of my way not to seem like a typical Harley rider. If I buy another one, I'll continue to do the same. Many of them just plain suck. Lots of attitude and not much else.

I know many Harley riders - most are the leather-vest-bare-arm-doo-rag-no-helmet types. Among that crowd there appears to be a deep-seeded belief that riding in a pod of 10+ motorcycles with an attitude of "we won't let ANY vehicle break up the pod" is the safe and right thing to do. Of course their answer to "how do you let faster vehicles pass when you're traveling on two-lane roads if you don't space out and let the vehicle move safely up to the front" is "screw 'em - they can just wait for 10 or 20 miles until we get to a multi-lane passing zone. I just chalk it up to selfishness and arrogance.

It also sucks when ashes blow into your eyes and do-rags blow off, exposing bald heads to the sun.

And I didn't flash my lights UNTIL I was already in the other lane.
But you did flash, so you called him an asshole. At least in his mind you did. :huh:
Clearly rightly so! I came across a couple of these clowns on SR 513 off Rt 23 in NJ (a nice road for a short ride). I didn't even flash at them and they kept moving to keep me from passing. Since I was in no hurry, I just took another route. I figure I never know when one of these DickHeads is carrying and will figger I DESERVE shootin' for passin' him. I never understand the attitude that joy in life comes from messing up some complete stranger's joy in life.

As my brother says: In life you must always allow for the DH factor.

I had the same thing going last year in Colorado. What is the deal with the lame-ass HD riders going slower than cars pulling campers in the mountains? All dressed up and no where to go any time soon. What a joke, I would be embarrased if I was that lame. Oh I forgot to mention crossing the yellow - several where all over the road. When I ask my HD friends about their ilk I get the same reply: "I don't ride like you hooligans do, I go low and slow you know, enjoy the scenery" Buy a bicycle if you want to be that lame. At least they have an excuse........

I had the same thing going last year in Colorado. What is the deal with the lame-ass HD riders going slower than cars pulling campers in the mountains? All dressed up and no where to go any time soon. What a joke, I would be embarrased if I was that lame. Oh I forgot to mention crossing the yellow - several where all over the road. When I ask my HD friends about their ilk I get the same reply: "I don't ride like you hooligans do, I go low and slow you know, enjoy the scenery" Buy a bicycle if you want to be that lame. At least they have an excuse........
CO has great riding but it is pretty high and a low HP Harley , packed down and maybe 2 up with a carb is going to be old dog slow unless adjusted.

Though Brother Shane does speak in truths, I have another theory as pertaining to "The Swerve". The famed Harley Davidson® Wunder-Bar® chassis, combined with the Landau-Ride® suspension could very well be responsible, as it reacted to the Luxo-Touch® throttle input to the Eagle Power Torque-Deluxe II® powerplant. I had a mini-bike would do the same thing when ya wacked the throttle. Turned out to be a bad weld, but ???? In any case, I think he was racing ya.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I really don't understamd the squirrel-knuckle attitude, the doo rag thing, the red hankerchief hanging out of a back pocket, wife-beater shirt, and wearing an extra large athletic cup for a helmet. :angry2:
I know, I know.... it takes all kinds.
I think I found the answer to the red hanky, if you really want to know.

CAUTION: Not work safe.

Scan down the list to the red one... The Hanky Code

we're spread out pretty good going at or just over the speed limit. I come up on 3 Harley's cruising along at about 45mph. The rear bike was a gal and she was riding her brakes the whole time.
I see a LEGAL passing zone so I pull out, flash my lights and start to pass. The guy in the middle pulls out in front of me and attempts to blocks my pass. WTF???? :angry2:

I just don't understand.
Stephen,,, You need to be more observant ,,,You probably missed the funeral procession flags on the bikes...

( When I see them , they are either parked at a bar ,, or they ride them like they were in a funeral procession )

I haven't figured out if the low speed rides are just lack of rider ability or the thing just won't go any faster ,,, :blink: