Picked Up a 2013 Today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nankoweap

Reaction score
Eight years ago a 2005 FJR helped me redefine high-speed touring. The relationship was short, but memorable. I've been riding an ST13 since. The bike has performed flawlessly, fits me perfectly and is stone reliable.

I've always admired how Yamaha responded to its customers and matured the FJR. Something Honda has a difficult time doing. When Yamaha made the Super Tenere available to US buyers I was all over it like stink on... stink. These things compel me to buy Yamaha.

A few weeks ago I found myself wanting an FJR again. Yep. It was a "want" and not a "need." I thought I might be able to to wait until the 2014's were available, but I should have known better. The itch was present. Scratching it was inevitable. I did a quick search on CycleTrader.com and found a dealer in Memphis selling 2013's for $12,999. Called the next day to make sure it was real and, since it was, I put down a deposit.

Last night Debbie, Lucas and I packed up the cage and high-tailed it Memphis. Stopped in at Interstate BBQ for a heaping plate of tips before heading to the hotel. I perused the map and found a nice, leisurely way back to Springfield. Slept like a baby.

Woke up this morning, had a little breakfast and went to Honda/Yamaha of Memphis at 9A sharp to seal the deal and pick up the new scoot...

Somewhere on the Natchez Trace​
i-2wCv9CG-XL.jpg

i-3zwzbXv-XL.jpg

Had a real nice ride home back to Springfield, TN. Stayed off the interstate and worked my way over on some nice two-laners. Last bit was up the Natchez Trace...

Had to Check Out the Cruise​
i-gbd536h-XL.jpg

Cruise Works Just Fine​
i-6g8Rfgk-XL.jpg

Even made it back home in time to watch the boy's football game...

i-pLvSzd7-XL.jpg

Soooo... first impressions...

1. The seat will get sent to Russell soon cuz... damn.
  2. Pegs need lowering, for sure.
  3. Bars will need rising.
  4. Instrument panel and controls are awesome and intuitive.
  5. Love the gearing on this bad boy. Especially first gear.
  6. I purposefully started out in Touring mode because of some of the "things" I read about Sport mode. After stopping in Bolivar for a spell I decided to go for it. The difference between Touring and Sport is in your face obvious. I love it!
  7. Tried to shift into 6th once.
  8. Passing in any gear isn't an issue, but dropping to 4th and ripping it will move your ass back in the seat.
  9. Rear tires are going to be an issue. May have to go dark.
  10. Mirrors are surprisingly adequate even with my wide mass.
  11. High-speed roll ons are cool.
  12. Hitting a ton is fun. Hitting it again is funner.
  13. Need to head west soon.
  14. Saddlebags are functional, but seem small. Good thing I don't pack much.
  15. What took me so long?
    smile.png
The ergos will get tweaked over time, but I think the FJR is going to work out. It has a lot to live up to and the ST13 will not go anywhere too soon, if ever.

The folks at Honda/Yamaha of Memphis were a pleasure to do business with. No fuss, no muss. I'll deal with them again in a heartbeat.

It's good having a new bike in the garage. Can't wait until tomorrow.

Contgrats on your new acquisition. Guess you SCORED A TOUCHDOWN. Sounds like you're a happy camper. Also sounds like you got a great price. Stay in touch, let us know how it goes. I'll expect to be hearing from you on the darkside thread.

Gary

darksider #44.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is an outstanding machine. I am so happy that I went from a Honda NT700V to the 2013 FJR. I did 304 miles today almost all two lane and hills. What a blast. Going from about 50 hp to 150hp, even the touring mode will bring a smile. And in sport the smile will last for hours.

Good luck with the new ride and ride safe.

I too went from an NT700V to the FJR. Still have, and still like, the NT. A shame the motorcycle press panned it so hard.

GIDDYUP!! Welcome back to the collective. What am I saying? -- Hell, you were the one propelled me the collective. Hope you don't still have neighbors with more money than brains to snag it out from under you.

I added a 2004 FJR to my garage, which has a NT700V. Well, just last Friday I ran into a mint 2009 FJR at the local Kawasaki dealer. It had just come in 1 hour before. It was calling my name loudly! So now the 2004 FJR and the NT700V are gone, but the 2009 FJR is in residence.

Not a 2013, but I have an idea how you feel! Congrats!

I added a 2004 FJR to my garage, which has a NT700V. Well, just last Friday I ran into a mint 2009 FJR at the local Kawasaki dealer. It had just come in 1 hour before. It was calling my name loudly! So now the 2004 FJR and the NT700V are gone, but the 2009 FJR is in residence.Not a 2013, but I have an idea how you feel! Congrats!
hehehe. Very nice. Congrats.

Yeah - thousands in extras rolls on as quick as the power the FJR produces....

Proper suspension upgrade is a must..

Congrats to the New FJR !!

Eight years ago a 2005 FJR helped me redefine high-speed touring. The relationship was short, but memorable. I've been riding an ST13 since. The bike has performed flawlessly, fits me perfectly and is stone reliable.

I've always admired how Yamaha responded to its customers and matured the FJR. Something Honda has a difficult time doing. When Yamaha made the Super Tenere available to US buyers I was all over it like stink on... stink. These things compel me to buy Yamaha.

A few weeks ago I found myself wanting an FJR again. Yep. It was a "want" and not a "need." I thought I might be able to to wait until the 2014's were available, but I should have known better. The itch was present. Scratching it was inevitable. I did a quick search on CycleTrader.com and found a dealer in Memphis selling 2013's for $12,999. Called the next day to make sure it was real and, since it was, I put down a deposit.

Last night Debbie, Lucas and I packed up the cage and high-tailed it Memphis. Stopped in at Interstate BBQ for a heaping plate of tips before heading to the hotel. I perused the map and found a nice, leisurely way back to Springfield. Slept like a baby.

Woke up this morning, had a little breakfast and went to Honda/Yamaha of Memphis at 9A sharp to seal the deal and pick up the new scoot...

Somewhere on the Natchez Trace​
i-2wCv9CG-XL.jpg

i-3zwzbXv-XL.jpg

Had a real nice ride home back to Springfield, TN. Stayed off the interstate and worked my way over on some nice two-laners. Last bit was up the Natchez Trace...

Had to Check Out the Cruise​
i-gbd536h-XL.jpg

Cruise Works Just Fine​
i-6g8Rfgk-XL.jpg

Even made it back home in time to watch the boy's football game...

i-pLvSzd7-XL.jpg

Soooo... first impressions...

1. The seat will get sent to Russell soon cuz... damn.
  2. Pegs need lowering, for sure.
  3. Bars will need rising.
  4. Instrument panel and controls are awesome and intuitive.
  5. Love the gearing on this bad boy. Especially first gear.
  6. I purposefully started out in Touring mode because of some of the "things" I read about Sport mode. After stopping in Bolivar for a spell I decided to go for it. The difference between Touring and Sport is in your face obvious. I love it!
  7. Tried to shift into 6th once.
  8. Passing in any gear isn't an issue, but dropping to 4th and ripping it will move your ass back in the seat.
  9. Rear tires are going to be an issue. May have to go dark.
  10. Mirrors are surprisingly adequate even with my wide mass.
  11. High-speed roll ons are cool.
  12. Hitting a ton is fun. Hitting it again is funner.
  13. Need to head west soon.
  14. Saddlebags are functional, but seem small. Good thing I don't pack much.
  15. What took me so long?
    smile.png

Congrats on the new purchase!!

Couple things you may want to think about.....

2. If you lower the pegs they'll scrap even easier than the stock position in the twisties.

9. Why are the rear tires an "issue" on the FJR compared to other bikes you've owned?

SoCal...

I'll give up a modicum of lean angle to gain comfort. If the FJR remains in the stable, it will be my LD mount so comfort is the primary concern.

Rear tires are an issue on every bike I own with the exception of the GL1800. I want a rear MC tire that can go at least 13K miles for me. No problem on the wing. Not so on the other bikes in the garage although I'm not yet finished with a set of Heidenau's on the Super Tenere yet. I get close with a set of PR3's on the ST13.

I don't want to go dark, but I'm not afraid of it. ;)

SoCal...
I'll give up a modicum of lean angle to gain comfort. If the FJR remains in the stable, it will be my LD mount so comfort is the primary concern.

Rear tires are an issue on every bike I own with the exception of the GL1800. I want a rear MC tire that can go at least 13K miles for me. No problem on the wing. Not so on the other bikes in the garage although I'm not yet finished with a set of Heidenau's on the Super Tenere yet. I get close with a set of PR3's on the ST13.

I don't want to go dark, but I'm not afraid of it.
wink.png
Ah I see....some riders on this site get almost that tire mileage on their FJR's, I don't know how they do it but I've seen posts that say 10,000 miles or so on the rear.

I never get more than about 4,500 miles out of ANY sport/touring tire on any bike I've owned myself.

Last edited by a moderator: