Possible stator woes!!!!!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I run volt meters in all my cars and on all my bikes. I've never seen one hold a perfectly steady voltage in the 10ths column. What I have noticed is that when it starts to vary up or down a few 10ths in rapid and repeating fashion, it's time for either a new battery or less frequently, a new R/R.

Well, check out THIS sorry-ass tale..... :angry2:
Most of you know that I have had some concerns about the long-term testing of the ElectroSport stator, in particular, the way my Datel voltmeter has been showing a dropping voltage over time. The thought was that the lower voltage readings were basically heat-related.

Not anymore...... :angry2:

On the way down to Gerlach for the start of the SPANK Rally, I saw for the first time a steady reading of 13.6 volts..... with NO additional electrical load on the bike whatsoever. Just low-beam HIDs in the headlamps, and nothing else.

And it was only 63 degrees outside!! :angry2: :angry2:

Well, it gets worse: I arrive home last night, only to have to turn around and depart for Colorado Springs tonight to ensure I am at the Scoring Table by noon on Wednesday, which is the end of SPANK. On the way home last night, I watch the Datel do some crazy shit.... readings all over the map: 13.9v, then 13.2v, then 13.7v, then 13.4v, then 13.8v, then 13.2v, then 13.6v, then 13.1v...... over and over again!!!

OBVIOUSLY, something is seriously amiss, but I can't do a goddamn thing about it now. I'm not about to start ripping the stator out of the FJR now, just 2-3 hours before departure. I've done all the easy shit - checked connectors, checked for burnt wiring, etc. Everything looks okay visually. I really don't have the time to start tearing the fairings off and try to individually measure the three legs of the stator for proper output. And I can't take the Blackbird tonight because it has no rear tire....

[SIZE=18pt]SON-OF-A-BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE] :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

I have little choice but to head out to Colorado with the bike like it is, and just pray. But I am carrying on old stator with me.

But I'm telling youse guys right here and now: if this sonofabitch leaves me stranded on the side of the road in east bumfuck Utah in the middle of the night - in a thunderstorm - I will be just about pissed off..... :angry:

So please think good karma thoughts for me.... I'll try to check the forum late tomorrow and let you know if the bike is still running.... :(
Have you tried riding the bike and turning off the a/c :yahoo: :yahoo: !!??

I hope your ride is safe & fun!

Best Regards,

Shane

Last edited by a moderator:
ohmmmmmm.....????? Whats that humming sound.........

OMG, FJRchik did you just give Warchild a hummer?????
whatever gets him there and back!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Given FJRchick's willingness to give so selflessly of herself for the cause, I suspect there will be a LOT more stator problems being reported in the near future. As a matter of fact, I think mine is starting to act up right now!!! ;)

OK, rode 840 miles , made it to Green River, UT without incident, EXCEPT.........

All through the night, with only the PHIDs burning and nothing else (no heated clothing, etc), the Datel never really climbed above 13.3v..... :angry2:

With the PHIDs shut off (and only the normal low-beam HIDs are lit), the datel would flicker between 13.4v and 13.6v.

This is dicked. :angry2:

Got another 400 miles to run to Colorado Springs in the morning... gonna get some zzzz's right now.....

ohmmmmmm.....????? Whats that humming sound.........

OMG, FJRchik did you just give Warchild a hummer?????
whatever gets him there and back!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Given FJRchick's willingness to give so selflessly of herself for the cause, I suspect there will be a LOT more stator problems being reported in the near future. As a matter of fact, I think mine is starting to act up right now!!! ;)
:rofl:

A "stator problem"? Is that what the kids are calling it now?

M: Honey, I'm sorry, I have a stator problem, but it's never happened before.

F: That's ok, take a blue pill and come back to bed.

:yahoo:

If I were going to be riding through the middle of freakin' nowhere like you do, with a freaky voltage reading, I might be thinking of carrying a spare charged battery?

A "stator problem"? Is that what the kids are calling it now?

M: Honey, I'm sorry, I have a stator problem, but it's never happened before.

F: That's ok, take a blue pill and come back to bed.

:yahoo:

But, better check your Gray's Anatomy, 39th Edition. Seems statoritis is directly related to the purchase of Depends, not little blue pills, cuz when your lights go out at 120 mph in the middle of nowhere at O'dark thirty, you're gonna want absorbency, not a salute from Lt. Wood. ;)

FWIW, had a tech session wid the crew on this. All roads lead to regulator, with battery bringing up the rear. Sounds like you checked the obvious potential faults, this assumes a good stator, and no real reason to suspect it isn't doing it's thing, as you get higher readings at times. A stator failure would tend to give consistantly lower readings, finally ending in complete failure. At least this was what our discussion came up with.

had a tech session wid the crew...All roads lead to regulator, with battery bringing up the rear....A stator failure would tend to give consistently lower readings
+1
As I have asked in several iterations of this theme, show me the stator voltages. Ripple seems to play a role in this also. Have pictures of the culprit in the act. The ElectroSport is wound to trade current for voltage so slightly lower voltage is no surprise but ever descending voltage is a fault. Most likely player is the R/R and it may well play a role in ripple too. Dunno if the ES stator is killing the R/R or not, my stock electrical system is going south with the same symptoms. More than a few others with stock systems are chiming in with the same symptoms. I have literally placed a money bet that my voltage problem is the R/R by purchasing a replacement before completing the troubleshooting process. When I replace my R/R it's going to see lots of heat sink compound and have a lookie see at additonal cooling.

A side note is that the '06 R/R would be a tough retrofit for Gen 1 FJRs.

Oh, most definitely, it could be the R/R.

Could be a number of things causing what I am seeing while underway.

The bitch is that this shit has to happen RIGHT NOW, on my way back to the end of SPANK and beginning of the IBA National...... :angry2:

Weather looks great for the remaining 400+ mile ride tomorrow....completely rain-soaked the entire day! *That* can only help out an already questionable electrical system... :blink:

Hey WC, if you get this before you leave Green River, check your PMs. I'll give you my phone number in case you have trouble, I'm near Denver and will come help you out.

Water connects you to the energy, wc. It makes you a part of it. Feel the love...the connection. Be the machine. Let the machine be a part of you, too. Be the ball.

He're to hopin and wishin you luck...
I don't want to read about you emptying a clip into a stator on the side of the road :)
Well, I always knew I was selfish. I would *love* to read a story involving W/C emptying a clip into a stator. Admit it, a year from now such a story would be a classic and even W/C would find it funny. All you have to do is never let on that you find it funny before that point. Um...oops.

Jeez, I don't see what the big deal is. Put a piece of black tape over the volt meter and just ride on.

Greattt now I am going to have to spend a week researching all of this and try to figure out what the hell everyone is talking about...you guys wear me out. Well lets see...lets start by googling "stator"...

Jeez, I don't see what the big deal is. Put a piece of black tape over the volt meter and just ride on.
Spoken like a true woman, mark. Way to connect with your inner feelings, dude..um...whatever you are.

Way to catch on, dude. Ever seen the movie "pushing tin"?

Status
Not open for further replies.