Posting Photos before 2022

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Works for me, IE9. Can't explain how some people are dead in the water and others aren't.
I am running Windows XP so IE 9 is not an option.
So how about trying an Operating System that ain't 12 years old???
tongue.png
Gee, maybe I should switch to an improved OS like Vista? Seriously, I am running on an old Dell box that would choke on Windows 7. XP has been the most reliable and stable Microsoft OS I have used.

The More Reply Options shows the picture but when previewed or posted, I get the error in Post #69, above. Still doesn't work.
Then I'd suggest avoiding Windows 8 if you don't have a HIGH suicide-avoidance level. :D

Another thing to check is that your version of Java is current. It gets updated frequently for security reasons. Be cautious when installing any Java updates. DO NOT use the default settings since that includes crapware (like tool bars and such). Instead use the custom install and turn off the check mark for any additional flotsam that they may try to sneak by you.

One example is that a recent Java update patched THIRTY security flaws.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/10/critical-java-patch-plugs-30-security-holes/

And he also warns

Note that Oracle’s updater may pre-select the installation of some third-party product, such as McAfee Security Scan Plus. If you don’t want this software, be sure to de-select that option before updating.

A place to go where you can check to see if your Java is current is:

https://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp

While we're talking about these things, it's a good thing to check for updates on your browser and OS (even XP for the time being is still getting updates). Do them all. Do the reboots if required. Then check again. Keep doing all the updates until a check no longer shows more updates. And, yes, it's not uncommong for Windows to have 20, 30 or 80 updates pending if you've not been on top of it. All tech support starts by making sure that the issue isn't on the workstation end first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Java and windows are fully up-to-date.

This is what I posted - without quotes or spaces ""[img ]https://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq71/rosskean/RossonDragon.jpg[ /IMG]"

Clicking the image icon just gives me they grey overlay without dialog box. I may have to switch browsers if I choose to post any pictures.

This is on two different computers running IE 8.

Yeah. it doesn's show because (it seems that) it can't be seen unless you're logged in to the account. When I simply try to click on the link I end up at a higher level "top menu" and not a specific picture.

https://beta.photobucket.com/browse?httpstatus=404

To get the proper link to the photo, make sure that the folder is set to be "public" in the security settings. Then navigate to the photo, right click, view image, and then copy the provided URL that is then there.

https://interocitor.smugmug.com/Cars/Vehicles/i-3xLcCHL/0/M/fjr-setup02-M.jpg

with the IMG tage then looks like:

fjr-setup02-M.jpg

Album is public. Direct link to picture is https://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq71/rosskean/RossonDragon.jpg

I get the picture when I paste the direct link in my address bar (even when not signed in to Photobucket). This has always worked in the past and I have not made any changes in operating system, Photobucket account or in my browser.

You won't believe what I found! In your post where it doesn't work, the 'd' in dragon is lower case, which I found by using View Source on the page. In your link in the prior post, the 'd' is upper case.

Using the uppercase 'D' in the URL:

RossonDragon.jpg

If I use the "IMG" code from photobucket pasted into the email, I get "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community."

If I try to use the "Image" icon to paste in the direct link, I get the grey screen overlay without dialog box and can't paste the link.

If I use the "More Reply Options", the picture shows in the box I am in but I get the Photobucket error (moved/deleted image or something) in the preview and in the final post.

I wouldn't have thought that a web link should be case sensitive??? Anyway, I did not change any case from the Photobucket link - direct copy/paste. I even tried pasting into Notepad, re-copying and pasting into the post (in case there was some invisible formatting) - didn't work either.

By the way, I was able to copy the image from wfooshee's post and paste it into a posting and that did work. Unless someone can come up with a solution, it looks like I will have to switch browsers. Others must be having the same issues with IE8 and XP (or am I the only one who is using this somewhat aged operating system?).

I am currently logged in on IE 8.0 running on Windows XP SP3.

The first thing that is odd is when I brought the forum up I get a security certificate error with the over-ride option in a llow bar at the top of the window.

Clicking the picture icon in either the Quick Reply or Full Editor windows results in the blank gray screen, have to refresh the page to get out of that.

Inserting your image's link in the html "img" delimiters results in a popup screen that says "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community"

Clicking on More Reply Options with the same image string in it results in a preview window with a pink stripe over it saying the same message as above. And, ignoring the pink warning and clicking on Preview Post results in the loss of the preview window but with the same pink error message.

In summary, yes you will need to run another browser to be able to post pictures at this time. I couldn't get it to work either.

https://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq71/rosskean/RossonDragon.jpg

Thanks Fred. At least I know its not just me! I did not get a security certificate error but I still can't post photos with IE8 and XP (SP3 with all the updates).

Interesting, I'm running XP SP3 and Firefox. I can't post any pictures from Ross's PB account but can post mine just fine (while ignoring the warning in the pink box).

Yamaha of daze past:

1977-Yamaha-XS400-Red-8179-4.jpg

Who knows what model this is, it's rare.

I too just get the grey screen of death whenever I click the 'insert image" button. Never had this issue before the upgrade.

Reactions: MEM
Interesting, I'm running XP SP3 and Firefox. I can't post any pictures from Ross's PB account but can post mine just fine (while ignoring the warning in the pink box).
Managed to get it to work with Google Chrome. Might have to go there if the board doesn't get fixed.

Yamaha of daze past:

1977-Yamaha-XS400-Red-8179-4.jpg

Who knows what model this is, it's rare.
Yamaha XS 400! Bro, have you forgotten just how old I am? I can still tell you the models of BSA, Velocette's and AJS's produced in 1957!

1954-ajs-1a.jpg

Yamaha XS 400! Bro, have you forgotten just how old I am? I can still tell you the models of BSA, Velocette's and AJS's produced in 1957!
Yo dude, sound of one hand clapping. This runt of the litter isn't a plain old XS 400, it is actually much less and has earned extra alpha-numerics to indicate that is is a real stripper XS 400. It had a very limited run, which matched its demand. Waiting to get the other hand moving too.

Yo dude, sound of one hand clapping. This runt of the litter isn't a plain old XS 400, it is actually much less and has earned extra alpha-numerics to indicate that is is a real stripper XS 400. It had a very limited run, which matched its demand.
Alan, what threw me for a loop was the drum brake on the front. This bike was on the showroom floor of the California Yamaha shop where I purchased my two RD 400's, my red RD was set up as a track bike and my green RD was my commuting to work bike. When I saw your picture, I had assumed the bike had endured a front end crash over the years and that was a replacement front fork and drum brake assembly. You are right, that's a really stripped down Yammie 400!

wire wheels, drum brakes = XS400G

edit- I believe the SG had cast wheels and single disk

Status
Not open for further replies.