Power Distribution Questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TWILKIN650,

That is the stock strap! Kinda' tight but it holds very securely. Almost like Yammie intended it to go there. All you have to decide is if you want your Blue Seas in the rear or in the front dash. I chose the rear, more initial install time routing the wires to the rear, but much more convenient if you blow a fuse.

Mitch

Last edited by a moderator:
Mitch, where did you put the relay? I "assume" it would be easier to stick it in the front somewhere. Thanks.

Depends on where you're going to mount your power block. If you're going to put it in the back, you could wire it off of the license plate light.

That makes sense. I gotta think about it, my AutoCom is stapped in under the Pillion seat.

My relay is up front, I think on the mirror mount bolt. I need to replace some plastic and the right side mirror this winter, don't ask why. :( I'll see if I can't document my installation with a few more pics.

@ MixedUpMitch

Do you have any pics of the wiring runs thru the engine compartment?

I have a Blue Sea in my farkle box and am getting my "ducks-in-a-row" for when I take the plastic off in January.

Also, I've seen pics of a Centech installed under the pilot's seat. Did you consider this area or did the "fit" in the tail convince you otherwise?

Brazos,

No pics from the engine compartment but I routed the wire bundle up the left side. I keep my mini compressor under the seat with a plug kit in case I ever get a flat. The Blue Seas just fits so nice under the passenger seat I couldn't think of putting it anywhere else. I plan on doing some work like replacing the plugs and will lift the tank. I'll snap some pics then. I should have done this originally. I didn't think this mounting location would be so popular! :)

Mitch

Sorry - gotta ask another dumb question. I went to the site linked in one of the posts above by BrunDog and pulled up automotive relays. The description says it is a 5 spade terminal. HUH - thought 4 wires goesinta the relay? What's the spefic terminology for the relay I need? Thanks, and gotta say this has been the most helpful thread for me so far!

Sorry - gotta ask another dumb question. I went to the site linked in one of the posts above by BrunDog and pulled up automotive relays. The description says it is a 5 spade terminal. HUH - thought 4 wires goesinta the relay? What's the spefic terminology for the relay I need? Thanks, and gotta say this has been the most helpful thread for me so far!
The 4 spade relay is "Normally Open", the contacts(The internal switch) close when you put power to it.

The 5 spade relay has "Normally Closed" and "Normally Open" contacts.

You could use "Normally Closed" contats when you want power to run through it untill you put power to the coil, like for a kill relay off an alarm.

What's the spefic terminology for the relay I need? Thanks, and gotta say this has been the most helpful thread for me so far!
I went to Pep Boys and asked them for a standard 30-amp relay. He walked me over to the auxilliary lighting section and there was the 4-prong relay that we've been talking about. It's the 4-prong model by Bosch.

It's been very helpful for me too, Jim. I just got my Blue Sea pdb in the mail. Time to start laying everything out to figure out what parts I'm missing.

I also picked up an air filter and plugs. Figured I might as well replace them while I have the tank off to run the wires.

You know Randy, if you were just a little bit closer I hope on the bike and run through the snow to watch your install. I'm just hoping the snow melts enough to ride tomorrow AM.

I did my Blue Seas box install Saturday and wired up accessories today. I had on hand 10 guage black and red primary wire, silver fiberglass wiring loom, ring terminals, several in-line ATC fuzes, and heat shrink tubing. First time to have "D" and "C" panels off, so took my time and tossed the fasteners in individual baggies. With FJR Tech instructions wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I prepared individual positive and ground lines to back under the rear seat from the battery, both encased in fiberglass loom and zip tied together. There are some likely routes for these along the battery side of the bike between the frame and the black plastic trim pieces. I chose not to route through the front hole in the steering head where the ABS hard lines run, but rather over the top of the frame along side a "D" panel anchor or standoff and from there to the battery. I think it's pretty easy to avoid the hottest parts of the engine compartment.

I chose to mount the Blue Seas box under the U-lock strap under the rear seat and to make this first install always hot rather than switched. I removed the negative and positive leads to the battery, and then decided that the stock battery terminal bolts were too short to allow me to slip two ring terminals under each one (one for Blue Seas box under rear seat, one for Aerostitch heated grips up front), so I added a strip about 7/8" long on top of the stock terminal leads on each terminal drilled a hole in the outboard end of each and install the ring terminals with bolts to these. Added a battery terminal cover to the "+" strip just for safety sake. I plumbed 30A ATC fuzes on both lines near the battery in case of a direct short, and ran 10 gauge loomed lines back to the Blue Seas box. The other line for the grips terminates in an SAE plug with protective cover that exits between the "D" panel and the frame to plug into the removable grips when they are installed.

Checked with a voltmeter to be sure all was well and went on to install Dual Powerlet rear plugs for power to electric vest, Battery Tender, and air compressor. Checked function on all of these and found that Powerlet female and the male BMW type plugs that come with my vest and Battery Tender fit, but are a bit sensitive to plug position and how firmly they are plugged in. Maybe the Powerlet males are a bit longer??

Panels all went back on with a bit of wiggling, but as others have said, I'd hate to try this alongside the road in the dark.

I work slow, so this took about 5 hours yesterday and 2 more this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great write up. I took a refreshing ride out to see Mitch yesterday to pick up some wire loom and was hoping to start my install yesterday, but, I wasn't aware of the plans the wife had for me.

Thanks again for all of your help, Mitch.

Did my Blue Seas install last night. It sure helped that I was able to see Mitch's install before I did mine. Start to finish, 4 hours and that included the addition of a Powerlet outlet up front and a trip to Autozone to pick up a couple connectors.

I also mounted it under the passenger seat, but, my strap didn't seem to stretch enough, so, I attached it with velcro.

For those of you who aren't sure about tackling this, trust me, it isn't that bad. I'm a complete novice when it comes to electronics and everything worked on the first try. The hardest part was routing the loom to the back of the bike.

Thanks to all who provided feedback - it came in very handy.

One example that includes photos of relay placement as well as alternative PdB designs that are smaller and cheaper than some of the mondo one's discussed and photographed:
https://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/mods/pdb/pdb.html

Also shows ways to tag each run of wire so that you can trouble shoot without needing to back trace, etc.
Bounce,

On the link to the auto-retract site. I don't see where they make the jumper that you show you use.

The FJR info site looks like they just disconnect the connector and leave it as such.

Did I mis something?

Also since you don't use a fuse block just power strips do you use a fuse in line to each of your farkles?