Question about FJR1300AE .. Now Want a Standard

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. does anyone have one? or have put some miles on one?

I have one with about 15,000 miles

2. how is launching from a stoplight?

Pull up to the stop light, down shift to first as you do so. Sit there. When the light turn green twist the throttle. If you want to raise the front tire, twist it really hard.

Warning: If a pretty girl in a Miata pulls up next you and you want to impress her with the sound of your manly inline four by reving the motor, DON'T FORGET TO PUT THE AE IN NEUTRAL FIRST.

3. how about low speed maneuvers like making a turn or a U turn. (i sometimes modulate the clutch during these..)

Low speed maneuvers are more difficult in general. You do get one big plus in that you can't stall an AE, so that source of low speed drops is eliminated.

4. what years were they made for the US?

I think 2006-2009.

5. how much more did they cost when new?

I actually got a sustainable discount below list when I bought my new 2008 a couple of years ago because Yamaha was overstocked. It's supposed to be an expensive option.

6. are they more valuable or less valuable than a standard clutch? meaning resale..

I don't think the AE has any more or less resale value than a similar ordinary FJR. The standard electric grips probably are a bigger plus in the US market than the YCCS.

Speaking of heated grips, you will every now and then downshift when you reach for the grip heat knob. Don't worry though. YCCS won't let you downshift into a gear if the tires would skid.

I think the AE really appeals to people who like and value advanced technology, and have the brain power to take advantage of technology. The kind of people who speak in multi-syllable words and complete sentences. The kind of rider who can make fire with a match, rather than those riders who make fire by beating pieces of flint together while squatting in the mud and worshiping an inflated goat's bladder. :blum:

Jrs, Please take everything Mcatrophy just posted with a Grain of Salt. He's one of our "Special" Members from the UK. Since his Mental Breakdown and the

incontinent problems he's been having lately, His wife has told us just to be gentle with him. Nice Guy but, Not all there in the head. He had to ride the short bus to school when he was a kid. Bless his Heart, He just now got to where he can type and put words together correctly. ... :)

Welcome jrs, Please forget everything I said about Mcatrophy, He's ACES, except maybe for that adult diaper thing, :unsure: Not sure about that one!

For 4 hours and 35 minutes I felt famous! Then you shattered my delusions. Oh well.

As for the adult diaper, try this (click on image for larger view):

(Sorry about the quality, it was taken after my bed-time on my phone)

Last edited by a moderator:
"Speaking of heated grips, you will every now and then downshift when you reach for the grip heat knob. Don't worry though. YCCS won't let you downshift into a gear if the tires would skid."

When I first got my AE, I used to honk the horn instead of downshifting as the horn button is just above the shift button. I've learned since then...

CrabbyJack

Jrs, Please take everything Mcatrophy just posted with a Grain of Salt. He's one of our "Special" Members from the UK. Since his Mental Breakdown and the

incontinent problems he's been having lately, His wife has told us just to be gentle with him. Nice Guy but, Not all there in the head. He had to ride the short bus to school when he was a kid. Bless his Heart, He just now got to where he can type and put words together correctly. ... :)

Welcome jrs, Please forget everything I said about Mcatrophy, He's ACES, except maybe for that adult diaper thing, :unsure: Not sure about that one!

For 4 hours and 35 minutes I felt famous! Then you shattered my delusions. Oh well.

You're shittin' us right? :lol:

Sorry Mc! :haha: :lol: I'm Still Laughing my ass off from that one! Dude! I just wanted to have a little fun! I set the Ball on the Tee so even a seven year old can take a swing at it. :D

You were the first one to dive into the subject. :p Nothing personal! :fans: It could've been anybody. But, It was you! I'm glad you held off on Ripping me a new ass but, then palerider

jumped in and we lost the Moment! I couldn't go into a second persons mental state! That wouldn't have sounded realistic. :rolleyes: One Yes!!

Oh Well.... I'll try again when the next soft ball comes along But, I need you people TO WORK WITH ME HERE!!! :)

guys and gals..

i want to thank you ALL for your informative, sometimes amusing, thought provoking posts..

i am armed and dangerous with info.. but honestly, don't know what the frig i am going to buy..

thank you to all..

guys and gals..

i want to thank you ALL for your informative, sometimes amusing, thought provoking posts..

i am armed and dangerous with info.. but honestly, don't know what the frig i am going to buy..

thank you to all..
No Problem jrs, You can stop by and ask questions anytime you'd like. This is the best place on earth for FJR owners. :rolleyes:

If you do pull the trigger on the AE, You are going to Love that Bike. Twisting the Throttle on that thing will Take your Breath Away! :yahoo:

Happy Trails! :)

Just got a new 09 ae left over from dealer stock. I have only put 160 miles on it due to the weather in Ohio, but I must say, I am pretty satisfied so far. When cold, the auto clutch is jerky but if you are really smooth when opening the throttle the clutch seems to slip perfectly. Quick takeoffs are no problem at all. This is my first bike since 1988 and I have no problem with any slow speed maneuvers. I did go out and practice in a parking lot for about 10 minutes. Did not have to drag the rear brake very much but I am completely flat footed on the ground when stopped so I can catch myself pretty easy. Upshifting is great, so smooth, so quick, so much power. Oh, and by the way, what a rocket. I am not the expert that the other guys here on this forum are, but I was a little worried before I bought this bike and haved found that my worries were unfounded. I figure if I stay within my abilities and do not push too much, I will learn the bike and have a lot of fun doing it.

Congrats Brent, Yeah! This bike will get as smooth as silk in No time. You are going to love it. Welcome back to the world of 2 wheels! You made a most excellent choice. :clapping: The color of the '08 & '09AE is Beautiful!!! :D

i found another used FJR1300. 2004 Non ABS, standard clutch with 35000 miles that is in very good condition.. Was thinking about having the local Yamaha dealer inspect it. The bike is completely stock and has the side cases.

What would be the current value range? I am trying to figure out what to offer. $$$

Once again, thanks in advance for any help provided.

yes, i have decided that a standard clutch is for me..

btw: here's a link to my questions about the FJR1300AE..

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=142946

I have the same bike and am planning on trading it in the spring. The dealer has offered 4500 dollars on trade. My 04 has lots of extras, Throttlemeister ($150) GP Suspension fork upgrade and Penski rear shock ($1700) Wynpro plates that replace the PAIR system, Fenda Extenda, all three heat fixes, ignition relay, speedbleeders, like new condition with recent Michelan PR2 tires, all maintenance done with records. Send me a PM with your email address and I will email you pictures. I'm four hours south of you.

i found another used FJR1300. 2004 Non ABS, standard clutch with 35000 miles that is in very good condition.. Was thinking about having the local Yamaha dealer inspect it. The bike is completely stock and has the side cases.

What would be the current value range? I am trying to figure out what to offer. $$$

I paid $6100 for am '05 abs with 5700 miles from a dealer. It is in very good condition but no farkles. Note that this was two weeks ago in Minnesota where the market is 'cold'.

yamaduc70

AE or A you can't go wrong.

I almost pulled the trigger on an 07 AE, but there was something about that bike I was not comfortable with, don't know just a bad vibe.

I did buy an 08 A and I am very happy with it. If it were an AE I would have bought it as well.

If you haven't ridden an AE, I think you owe it to yourself.

Good luck with your search

Congrats Brent, Yeah! This bike will get as smooth as silk in No time. You are going to love it. Welcome back to the world of 2 wheels! You made a most excellent choice. :clapping: The color of the '08 & '09AE is Beautiful!!! :D

My biggest problem right now is the damn weather, High today of around 33 degrees and 1 to 22 inches of snow expected.

My biggest problem right now is the damn weather, High today of around 33 degrees and 1 to 22 inches of snow expected.
YIKES!!! :eek: I was born and raised in NYC. I've been in Florida for so long that I don't even remember what those numbers feel like and if don't see another snow flake in my life I'll be OK with that!! :yahoo: Don't worry, it'll warm up soon enough. :D

I bought my 2005 (it is in very good condition and everything works. Heated grips and almost new tires too) with 35k miles for 4600 back in December. I think I got a good deal. Hopefully this helps.