Radiator Cover Guard

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For reasons I don't need to explain, I prefer the Cox units.

You can see them here.

The pricing on these gaurds would be eligible for the forum discount.

Please forgive the stupid question from a FNG -- how important is a radiator guard on this bike?? Good to have? Or more like "mandatory" :( ie; sooner or later something will puncture the radiator? Have 05 with only 2k miles on her. Thx, Jay

I've got the Cox unit...very well made and easy to install. It only takes one episode of getting a puncture to prove the wisdom of having put a guard on the bike. You might ride for years and never experience a puncture...but having the guard is cheap insurance, in my mind, and well worth the cost.

I have the Beowulf and the Bike Johnny version. If you decided to buy the Beowulf you won't be disappointed - just need to adjust the position of the lower bracket by bending it slightly

The Beowulf has larger holes than the BJ which is great in summer but not winter when we have all the crap from the roads. So I alternate at the start of each season

Paul

01 fjr

uk

Jaybird, a rad guard is like wearing a condom. Better safe than sorry.

Yes a rock can punture the rad. It happens. If it happens your bike is down, period, until fixed.

The Cox guard is great. No problems getting it, it goes in lickety split (5 min) and it works. It also comes back out lickety split for cleaning. Nothing needs to be modified to slap this on and the price is nice.

IMHO.

Catch a rock, punch a hole.....outside of 'Bumdeal', Utah, 105 degrees, no ones stoppin, cause nobodys around, Its getting dark, you have sat in the blistering sun all day. The cyotes are starting to bark...so? How important is a radiater guard? You tell me!

COX is a great guard! ;)

Bikeeffects. Does the blue match the faster blue FJR or should i go with black so it is not reallly seen. If the blue is a really good match I would prefer but if not i would go black.

Bikeeffects. Does the blue match the faster blue FJR or should i go with black so it is not reallly seen. If the blue is a really good match I would prefer but if not i would go black.
I don't seem to have a picture of the blue one mounted. The best picture I have is the one from my site. I personally have a black one, but my bike is silver.

Get the black Cox. Does that sound right? Only trouble I had with mine was it rubbed in a few places. That didn't sound right either. Get some more of the sticky foam and place it strategically to space the guard off the rad and you'll be good. When yamaha designed the bike, they painted the rad black. To picture how the guard would look, look at your bike. The blue draws attention to the space, the black doesn't. Another good mod at the same time is the Fenda Extenda. It will help keep stuff from getting kicked up by the wheel. There was a post with a pic on the other board that showed a bike sitting on the side of the road with a puddle of green under it. That sold me. Get the guard and keep some Bars Leak in your toolkit and you'll be set.

Ride safe.

Go with the Cox. I got the black one for my 05. Easy install and now I don't have to think about it. :agent:

I got the Cox in black (HEY! Get your mind out of the gutter!)
Never even notice it's there. A good thing!
I like Black just not Cox!!! :D

Please forgive the stupid question from a FNG -- how important is a radiator guard on this bike??  Good to have?  Or more like "mandatory"    :(     ie; sooner or later something will puncture the radiator?  Have 05 with only 2k miles on her.  Thx,  Jay
This will give you an idea of how important it is. Pearl now wears one.

Cox in silver, here.

I will say this about the guards: Make sure you clean the bug carcasses that collect at the bottom of the guard every now and again as the deceased critters do block air flow into the radiator.

TWN:
How well does your silver one match the 04's silver? Assuming you have an 04..

Thanks,

Phlash
Mines and '05. The color is unpolished aluminum (as opposed to gay-ass polished). Turn your pop can upside-down if you wanna get close.