• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Replacement ZUMO Security Screw / Knob

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you are missing the point. This security screw is to make the unit more secure WHILE RIDING. The idea is that the screw keeps the unit from being jarred loose from the cradle, but then allows you to very easily take the unit off when you get where you are going. It is obviously not meant to secure the unit while the bike is parked, as the stock screw is designed to do. When I park the bike at work, I leave the unit on with the stock screw, but when I have to park in downtown Chicago, I don't trust the stock screw to keep my GPS from being boosted, and using the security tool Garmin provides is a pain in the butt. Just my $0.02.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you are missing the point. This security screw is to make the unit more secure WHILE RIDING. The idea is that the screw keeps the unit from being jarred loose from the cradle, but then allows you to very easily take the unit off when you get where you are going. It is obviously not meant to secure the unit while the bike is parked, as the stock screw is designed to do. When I park the bike at work, I leave the unit on with the stock screw, but when I have to park in downtown Chicago, I don't trust the stock screw to keep my GPS from being boosted, and using the security tool Garmin provides is a pain in the butt. Just my $0.02.
Exactly, it's really to security the mount from popping open... But they do call the screw 'anti-theft' because of the tool that you allegedly need to screw it in, but it's farm an anti-theft solution.

If it's mounted with the RAM mount that is supplied with it, you're one ram-nut away from having it easily removed.

My tech-mount would only be slightly more cumbersome to remove, but those that want it bad enough would simply cut the techmount stem with a bolt cutter and be done.

Exactly, it's really to security the mount from popping open...
Have people had problems with it being jarred open? It seems like it needs a determined person to flip the lever up to release it - I can't see how a non-bike-damaging-bump can cause it to flip open.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Have people had problems with it being jarred open? It seems like it needs a determined person to flip the lever up to release it - I can't see how a non-bike-damaging-bump can cause it to flip open.

At least once when I was in the period between lost screw (no screw) and thumbscrew... I did have it pop-open. I wasn't off-roading at the time either.

Okay, I get it. My original question:

Maybe I'm missing something, but what stops someone from just walking by and unscrewing this?
was because I thought the stock screw was more to secure it while the rider was off the bike, not while riding.

Sorry for the hi-jack.

Never in my case. But knowing that it could I choose to protect my self. Wait, we are talking about Garmin stuff, right ? :yahoo:

Never in my case. But knowing that it could I choose to protect my self. Wait, we are talking about Garmin stuff, right ? :yahoo:

Already got one and highly recommend it. Lets face it... we're talking about $600+ investment. I wouldn't like to see it in my rearview following me down the road. One good pothole could do it. I never leave mine on the bike when I'm not in sight of it and this makes it a snap to remove and stash it away. Lead us not into temptation... :rolleyes:

Very small investment for peace of mind.

On a very rough road I had the top flip open. When my earphones went dead I looked down and saved the zumo. Since then I always use the screw now, even with it being a pain in the butt. The road was rough enough it jared the radar detector's velcro loose from the dash.

In 20K miles it has only happened once, but at $600+ I don't want to chance it.

<snip> Not sure I understand the need for a 2nd one.
I'm going to throw my second one into my tool bag. That way I'm GUARANTEED to never lose the one on my mount.

Well... Until the day I leave the tool bag at home. <_<

Well TriggerT....I bet you were not expecting this many replies. That being said..... Thanks for setting this up and...

I'm in for 2.

Medic....out!

Yeah, gettin tired of that little specialized screw driver (and tired of worryin about loosin it while on the road!)

Please add me in for two!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not in on this deal, but I wanted to say I've got one of these and it's damn handy. Two thumbs up on the product and those of you jumping in here will be glad you did.

Thanks, TriggerT, for doing this for folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.