Reverse Trike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok this sucks but I managed to find another relay that works except for there is a broken pin in it!!! Grrrrrr. anyway are you able to tell me what wire the red one is in the top picture? It's the red on on the upper far right. I'm hoping I can tap into it or bypass it somehow. Other than that this relay did allow me to turn the motor over IN gear so it will work once I figure out this red wire...

That's 12 volts from the fuel injection fuse. When the fuel pump relay is energized, that wire is connected to the red/blue wire clear at the other end of that connector, in the same row, from where it feeds 12 volts to the fuel pump, the injectors, the O2 sensor, and an ECU pin.

I think you could rig a separate relay to handle that. Here's how: get one of those standard automotive relays at a parts store or Rat Shack, the ones with the pins numbered 30, 85, 86, 87, etc. Then do this:

relay%20connector%201%20cutting.jpg

relay%20connector%202%20cutting.jpg

What this does is remove the fuel pump relay function out of your broken-pin package and uses the automotive relay for that. Your broken pin won't affect the starter interlock function, which apparently works correctly on your relay package.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok this sucks but I managed to find another relay that works except for there is a broken pin in it!!! Grrrrrr. anyway are you able to tell me what wire the red one is in the top picture? It's the red on on the upper far right. I'm hoping I can tap into it or bypass it somehow. Other than that this relay did allow me to turn the motor over IN gear so it will work once I figure out this red wire...

That's 12 volts from the fuel injection fuse. When the fuel pump relay is energized, that wire is connected to the red/blue wire clear at the other end of that connector, in the same row, from where it feeds 12 volts to the fuel pump, the injectors, the O2 sensor, and an ECU pin.

I think you could rig a separate relay to handle that. Here's how: get one of those standard automotive relays at a parts store or Rat Shack, the ones with the pins numbered 30, 85, 86, 87, etc. Then do this:

relay%20connector%201%20cutting.jpg

relay%20connector%202%20cutting.jpg

What this does is remove the fuel pump relay function out of your broken-pin package and uses the automotive relay for that. Your broken pin won't affect the starter interlock function, which apparently works correctly on your relay package.
Again I don't know what I would do without people like you! Thank you again! I'll do that tonight and see what happens and report back. Hopefully all of this helps other people too in some way even though my situation is unique.

Yeah but I can't zoom anywhere until I get the technical problems worked out... :p I'll be sure to post some vids and more pictures up just as soon as I get this thing running in gear.

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!! SUCCESS!!!! That relay trick you gave me worked!! I just drove the trike around the block like 6 times!!! Man I cannot wait to get everything all tied up and bolted down so I can really start test driving it! It's damn cold out tonight though so hopefully tomorrow or sunday will be warm enough and I'll try to get some video for you guys!!

Thanks again wfooshee!!

Most Excellent!!!! I know that's a whole lot more fun than looking at it in the garage wondering why it doesn't want to play!!

I guess there's something to those Ouija boards wiring diagrams after all.

So when's it coming to Florida?? :D

Most Excellent!!!! I know that's a whole lot more fun than looking at it in the garage wondering why it doesn't want to play!!
I guess there's something to those Ouija boards wiring diagrams after all.

So when's it coming to Florida?? :D
LOL yeah well if I get this thing to a point where I trust all my work to be reliable enough the wife and I might just make a trip out there. :yahoo:

Ok guys, here a short one from today, I'll get a better vid later on when I take it on a back road and really start testing. Enjoy!

sweet!

can you say wh e e l b a se?

I see an electric reverse motor in your future!

NICE JOB!

Thanks guys! Yeah I'm definitely going to start working on a reverse gear soon.
The Morgan Three-Wheeler ("The Comfort and Safety of a Motorcar, The Cheapness and Simplicity of a Motorcycle") celebrates its centennial this year (1910 ~ 2010). In 1928 there were several aftermarket 'Reverse' kits available -- generally, using an electric motor and sprocket & chain drive.

Good luck with whatever you design/invent...

How cool, awesome progress, and it sure looks like it's fun to ride - ah - drive!!!

I even like the FJR light setup in the middle - just gotta do something more permanent then the bungees.

:thumbsupsmileyanim: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :thumbsupsmileyanim:

How cool, awesome progress, and it sure looks like it's fun to ride - ah - drive!!!
I even like the FJR light setup in the middle - just gotta do something more permanent then the bungees.

:thumbsupsmileyanim: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks! And yeah, all the minor stuff is really only held on by clamps and bungees at this point. Wanted to make sure it runs and moves first and now I'll start mounting stuff permanently.

Hey guys haven’t updated you in quite a while. I haven’t been able to do a ton of work up until the past couple weeks but I did get the front shocks done a little differently. I added some rear Yamaha Banshee shocks instead of the fronts so now it rides a lot better but I had to do some cutting and fabing to get them to fit.

6-14-10016.jpg

I got the gauges and switches etc. all mounted and I finished the shifter and mounted the knob but I forgot to take a pic of it sorry, maybe later.

I also got the exhaust pretty much done and mounted in place. I think it looks pretty sweet! Let me know what you guys think? There may be a few things I change with it because I hope to put aftermarket pipes on it to make it a little louder but it depends on the price since they are pretty expensive. (If any of you have pipes you want to trade for powder coating let me know!)

6-14-10004.jpg

6-14-10003.jpg

6-14-10002.jpg

6-14-10001.jpg

Next on the agenda;

• 4-point seatbelts are on order

• Supports for the lower control arms so they don’t flex backward when braking

• VW collapsible steering stem

• Mirrors

• Find permanent location for radiators

• Mount electric fans

• Finish rollbar