Ride plans for EOM

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvtoride

My Indian name is "Pants On Fire"
Reaction score
Hola attendees, I am trying to make some ride out plans for EOM... & possibly meet up with others on the way.

If I ride directly to EOM central from my house it's approximately 450+-miles. No twisties would be included in that, either.

I'm considering leaving from work on Wednesday evening, riding a couple of hundred miles from here, spending the night in Meadows of Dan, VA & then taking fun roads through Shady Valley & other twisty roads south to EOM central.

Is there anyone else riding through that general area on Thursday... or is there anyone from my area that'd be interested in joining in?

Heidi

"Pants on Fire" is anxious and ready! (already?).

Heidi, (JK) and I'm glad to hear you are preparing early, women are always better early-bird planners
smile.png
(I'm being serious on this one!).

Really, that is not how I got that name... close enough, though. But I am thinking about my ride out. & if you didn't alreay realize... September is next month. I am excited about this trip. I'm always excited about EOM. Are you going?

If you are, do you plan to be on the road Wednesday? The northern contingent may consider going through Shady Valley on the way down. That's a good area!

I am bummed that I am missing this one, but may do a Saddlesore heading to CFO the week before. Wanna go with me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Really, that is not how I got that name... close enough, though. But I am thinking about my ride out. & if you didn't alreay realize... September is next month. I am excited about this trip. I'm always excited about EOM. Are you going?
If you are, do you plan to be on the road Wednesday? The northern contingent may consider going through Shady Valley on the way down. That's a good area!
Trying to work it (EOM) in my schedule. I'll get NERDS over with and then try to work some magic. Yes, I would hope to be underway that Weds as I'm thinking (for me) it would be an overniter to get there. So Weds and Thurs would be my ride-in days, Sun & Mon my ride home days.

I know all about the excitement! ...and it's all good
smile.png

The week of EOM has grown into my annual vacation and decompression cycle. Here's what our travel plans look like at this point, and are, as always, subject to change...

Monday, September 16, 2013 - Michigan to Parkersburg, WV.
Tuesday, September 17, 2013 - Parkersburg, WV to Lewisburg, WV
Wednesday, September 18, 2013 - Lewisburg, WV to Lenoir, NC
Thursday, September 19, 2013 - Lenoir, NC to Maggie Valley, NC
Sunday - ride half way home, finish the ride home on Monday.

Lewisburg would be withing reach for me if I had all of Wednesday off for travel time. I'd be leaving this area after work @ 5PM. This is all speculation on my part right now, also... & subject to change.

Lewisburg would be withing reach for me if I had all of Wednesday off for travel time. I'd be leaving this area after work @ 5PM. This is all speculation on my part right now, also... & subject to change.
You didn't answer my question!

The week of EOM has grown into my annual vacation and decompression cycle. Here's what our travel plans look like at this point, and are, as always, subject to change...
Monday, September 16, 2013 - Michigan to Parkersburg, WV.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 - Parkersburg, WV to Lewisburg, WV

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 - Lewisburg, WV to Lenoir, NC

Thursday, September 19, 2013 - Lenoir, NC to Maggie Valley, NC

Sunday - ride half way home, finish the ride home on Monday.
Dang, that sounds like fun!

What question is that? I didn't know that question was directed at me... so, the answer is... nahhh, I don't think so.... but thanks for asking. I did finally look on a map to see where Wisconsin is at.

Wed after work to Thursday Eve - Making my way to EOM Central

Friday - 500?? 300?? mile curvy roads

Saturday - 300?? +/- curvy roads

Sunday - Blast home

For what it is worth, I have some friends who have bought a B&B in Damascus, VA. That is in the middle of god's country for riding near the Carolina/ VA/ and TN intersect borders. Close to 421 snake, VA 16, and VA 58 runs right though it. That is a maybe a little close at 150 or so miles from EOM in Maggie Valley, but a great place and area to lay over on the way. (Or a gathering any time).

There are four bedrooms in the house, and some very nice roomy two story cottage block quarters behind. The house would be good for couples in the bedrooms, and the rooms in back of the house are great for guys or gals with up to four single beds in a unit. Rooms in the house with one double bed go for about $65 to 75 I believe and the ones out back are $115-125 but numerous folks can use those. This all results in $30 to 50 a head depending on arrangements.

Owners are sport tour riders themselves which is why they bought the B&B there. Only things I recall that I should mention are "no smoking" on the grounds at all, cash only, and some shared bathrooms, but these are good accomodations in a great place.

Web site: is dancingbearrentals.com Email [email protected] or call 423 571 1830 for Melissa or Shannon. Tell them Cliff with Yamaha group told you to call. I do not think you will be sorry.

I do not think the website does the place justice, so email Melissa or call for info.

Tues night - meet friends in Columbus for our annual fall ride.

Wed thru Fri - find some interesting roads / locations in Missouri, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana

Sat - leave said friends in Robbinsville to arrive in Maggie Valley for EOM

Sun - EOM riding!

Mon - meet back up and ride home

Wow Phil, not arriving until Saturday, huh? Bummer man!

& CCook, what an awesome location! For my ride to EOM that wouldn't work. Maybe another time... & this is good information. The only thing I wouldn't like is no smoking on the grounds. I'd expect there are several folks that this would put off. Apparently, the owners aren't concerned.

I don't smoke in my room... it's been that way for years... but I'd like to be able to step outside for one. I wouldn't be put off if they even had a designated spot for smoking... but none on the grounds at all??? Really? Personally, not to my liking & would definitely sway me to the negative. Again, they apparently aren't concerned. lol!

I'm bummed about the late arrival too, these two trips just kinda ran together. You should hear the bad things my buddies are saying to me about having to break off from them Saturday.

Wow Phil, not arriving until Saturday, huh? Bummer man!
& CCook, what an awesome location! For my ride to EOM that wouldn't work. Maybe another time... & this is good information. The only thing I wouldn't like is no smoking on the grounds. I'd expect there are several folks that this would put off. Apparently, the owners aren't concerned.

I don't smoke in my room... it's been that way for years... but I'd like to be able to step outside for one. I wouldn't be put off if they even had a designated spot for smoking... but none on the grounds at all??? Really? Personally, not to my liking & would definitely sway me to the negative. Again, they apparently aren't concerned. lol!ousehold seems
Yeah, I agree with your observations. I had the same thoughts, especially as regards outside the house, but the lady of the house seems committed to that. They are good folks though, not prudes at all, and I think you would like them too. They are located on the main road in downtown Damascus straight across the street from the Methodist church. I will pass on your thoughts, and would encourage anyone in the area to stop in to look over the place. Killer location.