Righteous, clean living brings good karma...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator
Reaction score
So I was replacing the factory chain after 27K miles, when I spied from above that one of the oil line keepers for the Pro-Oiler had come loose on the swingarm.

When I got under the swingarm to fix it, I discovered that the loose keeper was the least of my concerns... :oops:

missimgShockBolt.jpg

Holy fucking shit, how does a big, beefy 14mm steel locknut just back off from vibration and cause you to loose the long steel bolt?! That shiny steel spacer that is now wedged between chassis and linkage is the only thing holding the linkage in place! Fuuuuuuuuuuuck me, this could have ended badly. o_O

Ordered up new hardware, and thankfully none are backordered, Yamaha has all the needed hardware in their Georgia warehouse, I should be able to reassemble this upcoming weekend. The damning thing is: I have a 5-day, 5-state 2500-mile run planned in exactly 10 days... if there is any delay, it might cause a distinct attitude problem. :rolleyes:

You got me.... that wedged-in steel spacer was acting for the bolt, keeping the linkage from moving about - it wasn't offering any "clunk" noises or movement, so it wasn't detectable. 🤷‍♂️

Could have been much worse. You could have done that 2500 mile tour and THEN bad things could have happened.
Count yourself lucky and then go find that bastard that stole your nut!