running bad (feeling blessed)...limped home (walking on air)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know how much assistance I can offer. However, my wife has a Honda CRV with a Class 1 hitch on it. I'm headed to Tampa from Dallas in a few weeks and will be returning the following weekend. If all else fails, we might be able to work something out.

Also, uship.com might be an option.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were traveling my myself...I'd be all over that. However I'll have wife and kiddo turning 4 with me and all that goes along with that. And we'll be hauling back all his loot he's getting for his birthday from his grandparents who only see him once or twice a year, so you know how that goes.

I can't do uhaul, as the trailer likely would be more than shipping cost.

What you think about this..??
rolleyes.gif
smile.png

Josh...
smile.png

Mr-Bean-Car-Crash-1312566613_zpsec53465f.jpg

This sounds like a very good idea, fixing Howie's scrapped engine using Mike's heads.

I'm assuming that Mike would still have his favorite mechanic doing the engine and parts swap for him, so there's still likely to be a good sized labor bill involved in the project. Knowing how tight things are for our Patriotic friend and his family, I'd suggest that we still take up a collection to help him defray those costs. Not because we have to, because we can and we want to. My $50 pledge still stands.

I have the [email protected] Paypal account, which is currently empty, and I can collect up the donation funds from anyone that would like to contribute and send them on to Mike. I would just ask that you make your Paypal payment using the "Personal" and "Gift" selections (see screen capture below) so no Paypal fees will be due and Mike will get all of your donation. And don't forget to put some comments in with your forum name so that I'll know who it came from and give you all an accounting.

PatriotCollection-1.jpg

Fred,

I am a charter, dues-paying member of the "Brokus Americanus" Clan, but I'll add another $50 to the kitty as soon as Mike chimes in with what his wishes/intentions are.

My motor is his...period!!

Us "Frankenbikes" MUST stick together!!!

While I like the idea of GixxerJasen bringing back the motor I have a few issues with it. One, I don't want to wait a few weeks. Two I have seen pics of Jasen's "little helper" and he is waaay too cool to have to ride on the roof. Three, we don't know what Patriot himself has to say on the subject. I already checked it is a little over 12 hours from my driveway to Winter Haven Florida. I could do a "there and back no sleep run", but I doubt Mike would much appreciate that kind of time with me. I'd really be getting grouchy before it was over.

Does anyone have any opinion on what Mihalis was saying about something else leading to this problem? Should we be suspecting some issue with the fuel injection system? I don't know, this is outside my comfort zone.

Howie, I think your donation of the motor is generous enough.

Assuming that Mike will accept your motor and is willing to let his friends pitch in to a little I think we can get this done and get our guy back out on the road riding his Patriot Guard missions as he should be.

Red, fuel injection problems don't cause connecting rod bearing failures, nor do timing chain tensioners, bad batteries or old pumpkin juice. Only an engine lubrication failure would cause a spun rod bearing.

And yes, we will need to figure a way to get Howie's engine to Mike's mechanic wherever the heck he is.

Damn! Sorry to hear the bad news Mikey. Boy, if you didn't have bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all!

Hang in there, it will all get sorted.

I'd also like to donate... won't be able to do $50 but I'd like to donate something. Waiting to see what he wants to do.
whistle.gif

If in a four cylinder engine for a reason the one or two cylinders are out of work the other two cylinders are overstressing!If you will push them by the throttle yes..the engine could damaged like this..From the pictures that i have seen from the spark plugs something going wrong with the two cylinders there..An opinion..

Of course the same thing could be happen and from an oil failure,but why?and especially in only one cylinder..?!

I'd also like to donate..not much but with that i can give..

Does anyone have any opinion on what Mihalis was saying about something else leading to this problem? Should we be suspecting some issue with the fuel injection system? I don't know, this is outside my comfort zone.
He was saying that this problem should not happen on an FJR.

Everyone should wait to send money until we make sure of what direction Mike wants to go here. But I'm fairly sure that Mike wouldn't deprive his friends of an opportunity to help out.

And there will be no specific amount. Just whatever you wish to give and feel comfortable with.

As one of the Frankenbike members, I can tell you a FJR engine doesn't take up that much room in the back of the car.

28ip7pz.jpg

We were able to chip in for Howie, we can do it for Patriot too. I'll find some funds to donate if this happens. Thanks Fred W, for hosting the PayPal account.

It might be a good idea to check with Patriot's mechanic on a labor quote to swap the heads and engines. New head bolts may be required, I have forgotten if they are one time use, stretch to seat bolts or not. I seem to recall it's common to break at least one when getting them out.

It may actually be cheaper to swap a good engine in, if we can find one. Hmm, like this one.

LKQ

$1k, 24k miles, known decent, reputable vendor, (I've been to this place many, many times when I lived in Oregon. Good business to work with. Down side, shipping distance/cost. Just noticed, FREE SHIPPING TO THE US.

Who gives a **** why...

so very overwhelming

and I can tell you I'm not gonna piece together 2 fucked engines together to trust for my 2500mi per month habit. .

Somebody look for me a '04 or '05 <50k engine so I know if I can or am going to go forward.

I was lucky with eBay

Aaron will charge just for an engine swap alone if he or I find one and send it to his shop. He said he check with his usual contacts but they've told him it wud be a rare find.

He warns he best wud advise a complete engine ready to go less fuel injection. They pull starters, stators, n clutches to sell separate. And he said best if vid avail showing it running.

I'm numb, fucked again at my limit, & have no clue at this point. All I can do his cheer at daughters game now, & hug my hounds later.

Crap, **** me

from my iPhone

Nice find Eric! That's a good price with shipping included. Sounds like the way to go....

And yes, FJR head bolts are one time use only.

Eric,

Headbolts are definitely "Single Use' only.

And STOP planting ideas about a full-motor swap! I gotta get this lump outta my garage!! :D