running bad (feeling blessed)...limped home (walking on air)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish you all the best for your wife,for you,and wishes also for good news from Isabella..!
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear that AIW is not well. If I understood your post correctly, she is now at home. Forget about the machine and take care of your family. It sounds like you have your priorities in good order. I wish you and AIW well.
Gunny!

Couldn't of said it better.

today's medical reports on Isabella and AIW:

Amy Jo feeling well, taking her proper dose of synthroid, and back to work yesterday and today.

We may both have the heart attack we feared on Friday when the (she's uninsured) bill comes.

Isabella continues to be a mystery at this point...Aaron removed the cam chain side cover before leaving for home this evening. Inspection indicated cam chain and tensioner normal. Pushing and pulling on chain felt normal under tension.

Cranked up engine and it looked normal. Terrible Racket motivated Aaron to only run a very short time.

Drained the oil for inspection...a very small amount of metal? particles observed, but nothing obvious at all.

Valve Cover to come off next.

First, I am very pleased that the wife is better.

Second: DAMMIT! Why can things never work out the way they are supposed to? Why the hell could it not be simple/easy/cheap? Are you sure one of those damned stickers did not get sucked into the intake? Is it possible that 165K miles worth of going without a washjob just pissed Isabella off?

Going off to sulk and brood for a little while. Please keep us updated.

I'm disappointed he fired it up before checking the top end. Like one of my early girlfriends said, "We shouldn'ta oughta did that."

Amy Jo feeling well, taking her proper dose of synthroid, and back to work yesterday and today.

We may both have the heart attack we feared on Friday when the (she's uninsured) bill comes.

Isabella continues to be a mystery at this point...Aaron removed the cam chain side cover before leaving for home this evening. Inspection indicated cam chain and tensioner normal. Pushing and pulling on chain felt normal under tension.

Cranked up engine and it looked normal. Terrible Racket motivated Aaron to only run a very short time.

Drained the oil for inspection...a very small amount of metal? particles observed, but nothing obvious at all.

Man, I feel sorry for you. My wife has had a few nagging medical problems of late. We have good insurance coverage, but get to see all the bills. Let me put it this way. You had better be sitting down, have had 3 or 4 shots of your favorite whiskey and be on a sedative when you open that bill. Trust me when I say everyone even remotely connected to your wife's treatment will be sending you a bill. And these bills will probably dribble in over a period of a month or two as these people bill very slow. It is just unbelievable who who will send you a bill for the simplist thing. Also, with no insurance you will be charged the "rack rate". Probably 2-3 times what those charges would be if you had insurance as the insurance companies negotiate much better rates.

Good luck with the wife and your bills and also the bike. Sounds like your bike will be the least of your worries.

Man, I feel sorry for you. My wife has had a few nagging medical problems of late. We have good insurance coverage, but get to see all the bills. Let me put it this way. You had better be sitting down, have had 3 or 4 shots of your favorite whiskey and be on a sedative when you open that bill. Trust me when I say everyone even remotely connected to your wife's treatment will be sending you a bill. And these bills will probably dribble in over a period of a month or two as these people bill very slow. It is just unbelievable who who will send you a bill for the simplist thing. Also, with no insurance you will be charged the "rack rate". Probably 2-3 times what those charges would be if you had insurance as the insurance companies negotiate much better rates.

Good luck with the wife and your bills and also the bike. Sounds like your bike will be the least of your worries.
I'm disabled since 2001, wifey is a pre-school teacher, oldest of my 2 daughters disabled (both of us advanced bipolar)

It's fortunate LA has a Medicaid Program for students of public school...fortunate oldest qualified for free vo-tech college.

but I only have Medicare A and since Aug, wifey switched jobs to become uninsured...we go to "low income" clinics now

so we're covered ok for the basics...charity system primary care clinic for both of us with physical stuff...my daughter and I at the county mental care clinic

the "Credit System" in LA is such that there's no consequence if...well, I don't pay the (medical) bills. The stupid thing is if I pay $1, then I relinguish my rights and they can legally come after me. But LA's "Fair Credit System" protects uninsured familys like me if one knows how to work it.

I try to explain to our extended familys, we live in a different world from their middle class lives. Wifey refused employment income increases for a decade so our income would not move over the State Kids Medicaid limit.

I'm a survivor. Financial Survival is a war in my world.

I'm not proud of what methods I've learned to use to get health care...and good health care. We've received many bills of many tens of thousands of dollars over the last decade. One of my best friends is disabled with MS, and his career was the VP of Credit and Collections for one of the largest banks in LA. In effect, he is my financial advisor.

My condition, disease if you will, is not my fault, and I do my very best to do what's necessary to be as functional, as much of the time, as I can. It took years to minimize my feelings of shame, but I've learned to play the hand I'm dealt, and was told to add up how much over a lucritive career as a computer guru, I contributed in taxes, SS premiums, and Medicare payments into the system. It helps to put things into perspective.

thanx for listening

But I digress and self hijacked

Mike - you've got a friend in me, without pride or prejudice. I sincerely hope your wife feels better soon. The rest is just "stuff".

What you do for the Patriot Guard is beyond admiration. These people support their loved ones' decision to fight for our country. They know the risk and though circumstances beyond any control, the unthinkable happens to them. What I imagine they need in their deepest darkest unimaginable hour, is someone who will support them unconditionally. Someone who will drop everything at a minutes notice and run to the farthest corner of the country to help THEM in their grief. You and your organization do that. You do it on Isabella.

So, we are rooting for you to get your bike fixed. But you need to realize that some of us are rooting very selfishly. We need you back on the road - others are counting on you.

Patriot,

I don't know about you,I live very very far from there..But i am glad that your wife is better!

About the Isabella..from what i read,it don't sounds very normal..How the terrible racket noise or any noise it is goes away..?!

I believe something going wrong in this issue..All these don't sounds very normal...I don't know also if the mechanic is he that

changed your engine?I am not sure,perhaps he is a good mechanic,but have you thought if in your previously visit there,Perhaps

he had do a wrong,as to forget to tight something in there..or something else..?!Perhaps i am wrong..but have a thought about it...

Anyway,we will see what he will say...I write all these because in my previously job i was a mechanic in cars and the last years in bikes.

I have worked and in the local Yamaha authorized workshop for a while and i have some knowledge...

Patriot? Have we heard nothing new? Surely if the man got that far he must have made time to find out a bit more? Inquiring minds want to know.

He had better hurry up. If my wife discovers the stash of diesel money I have hidden for our return trip we are both in trouble. She is wanting to buy a new feed bag...
weirdsmiley.gif

What Patriot is going through is just like my experience too.

Doesn't that tech know that MY job is the most IMPORTANT job and he needs to fix it right NOW?
treaten.gif

I agree with Mihalis, we should have heard at least a diagnosis by now.

Patriot you better not be holding out on us! If he does not get it fixed soon my wife will have sniffed out my stash of diesel money. I had to hide it at the bottom of the cat food bag. My wife (BigUn) can smell cash a mile away. She can sometimes sense it through the phone...
uhoh.gif

Well the tech had never heard the noise. I don't fault his procedure thus far.
just curious: why not pull the plugs, put it on the center stand, drop it in gear and rotate the rear wheel instead of 'firing it up'...

i would assume it may do less damage, it may allow you to isolate it... and if it's not heard, then you can always fire it up...

i know it probably doesn't matter now, but would that make sense?