running bad (feeling blessed)...limped home (walking on air)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that last suggestion surely has some merit. IF there is any extra money and IF most of those involved agree, perhaps some preventive maintenance on the chassis is in order.

Again, I have no strong feelings on where any excess funds go. There may not be any excess funds to worry about anyway. I know I did not attach any strings to what I gave, I assumed that no one else did either. I will say again that I completely trust Fred W to do what is right with whatever money he has received. He does not need my approval for any decisions he makes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm overwhelmed
that being said, you may know why the AIW says sarcasm is my middle name

in that light, I'm taking suggestions for what to do with the overage
I didn't realize posting this was in bad taste...that was far from my intention

my sense of humor is far from perfect

I so greatly appreciate what each of you are doing for me....and my family

Mike

in Nawlins'

You stated clearly that it was a joke. It was funny. It also showed that you were doing much better emotionally. It is obvious by how fragmented your posts get what your mental state is if things go south.

If anyone failed to see that it was meant in good humor, they were probably looking for something to get mad about anyway.

It is not like we are talking about enough funds for you to take an out of the country vacation anyhow.

It would be nice if you spent a few dollars on some soap and rags to wash that bike with though... :)

I think that last suggestion surely has some merit. IF there is any extra money and IF most of those involved agree, perhaps some preventive maintenance on the chassis is in order.
Again, I have no strong feelings on where any excess funds go. There may not be any excess funds to worry about anyway. I know I did not attach any strings to what I gave, I assumed that no one else did either. I will say again that I completely trust Fred W to do what is right with whatever money he has received. He does not need my approval for any decisions he makes.
Gunny.

One thing I would like to say about the suggestion for holding any left over funds. As an idea, it's great. But it gets complicated in the execution. Someone has to hold the funds, be responsible for accounting of said funds, then who decides where and who is worthy of receiving them in the future? Rule by committee sucks.

I offer that when the next event occurs, we will rise to meet it, as it merits that need.

I agree with Redfish. Everyone here read this thing from the first post and decided to chip in and help with Mikes dilemma once the prognosis was determined. I don't remember seeing anyone donating with "Strings Attached".

The way I look at it, the strings can't be attached after the fact. (1) Fred is as good as it gets and no one can question his handling of this thing. (2) The donations were sent to Mike. I don't see an issue here.

I guess anyone can ask for their donation back if they feel that strongly about it. Otherwise, Why create a new layer of crap for Fred to deal with where there is none now?
grin.gif

I'm overwhelmed

Mike

in Nawlins'
Mike, It WAS funny. Don't worry about it. This isn't your problem. Chill....
beach.gif

I'm overwhelmed

Mike

in Nawlins'
It was humor and we saw it that way. At least I did, thus the sarcasm of "Don't rub our noses in it"
smile.png
Ya dork!

Anyone that's been on this forum for a few years knows that we don't just jump up and toss money at people because they have a problem. But when someone really is in need, well hell, we rise to the occasion. Warchild, RaidoHowie, and now you. Among all the pay-it-forward stuff that goes on beyond all that.

If I didn't think you appreciated it, I wouldn't have donated to the cause. And I do believe you appreciate it, cause we've been around here for more than a few years, eh?

I'm overwhelmed

Mike

in Nawlins'
It was humor and we saw it that way. At least I did, thus the sarcasm of "Don't rub our noses in it"
smile.png
Ya dork!

Anyone that's been on this forum for a few years knows that we don't just jump up and toss money at people because they have a problem. But when someone really is in need, well hell, we rise to the occasion. Warchild, RaidoHowie, and now you. Among all the pay-it-forward stuff that goes on beyond all that.

If I didn't think you appreciated it, I wouldn't have donated to the cause. And I do believe you appreciate it, cause we've been around here for more than a few years, eh?
fool.gif

I did like the sidecar idea...it's true <shhhhhhhhhhhh> that the AIW and I together far exceed Yamaha's spec of total load for the bike.
uhoh.gif

I knew I'd be a forum member for life regardless of riding when big $$$ were raised for funerals of forum members...seems I remember Orangevale (that was my first experience), TWN, his spouse?, and the big one, the ultimate in amazement...our beloved Tyler as she fought for her life. That is the stuff of Sacred Selfless Ministry to others and the tradition goes on.

I can hardly believe all this.

Well I just finished up Mike's new PAIR COVERS and they will be shipped out tomorrow. I made a whole new set rather than the off the shelf version that most folks get. These were built with love.
blushing.gif

DenverFJR ponied up for these so we gave them something extra. I took some pic's but I think I will keep mike in suspense.

Hi All,

I have only just read this thread. Deeply saddened to hear of all your difficulties Mike. Equally as proud to hear of the support this FORUM offers a mate in a time of need. Hope you are back on your bike ASAP.

PayPay sent.

Best regards

Steve(Surly)Hickey

As a reference point, in the (distant) past the Forum has helped buy a replacement FJR for another person that is *very* involved in the Forum. Glad to see that the history continues into the future!
While technically correct - the forum (actually the old original EZboard) did buy a member a used replacement FJR, this forum also previously bought a certain pain in the ass a replacement engine when he needed it. Though we made the old curmudgeon swap it himself.
smile.png
So this is actually the third time the forum has done something like this. Good stuff.

And I vote we do throw a few $$$$ Redfish Hunter's way for fuel. On a personal level, he has gone way above beyond the call of duty.

As a reference point, in the (distant) past the Forum has helped buy a replacement FJR for another person that is *very* involved in the Forum. Glad to see that the history continues into the future!
While technically correct - the forum (actually the old original EZboard) did buy a member a used replacement FJR, this forum also previously bought a certain pain in the ass a replacement engine when he needed it. Though we made the old curmudgeon swap it himself.
smile.png
So this is actually the third time the forum has done something like this. Good stuff.

And I vote we do throw a few $$$$ Redfish Hunter's way for fuel. On a personal level, he has gone way above beyond the call of duty.
I Agree! Too bad I didn't get a chance to take Howie's engine up to Mike's mechanic. I would have enjoyed stopping by Redfish's neigborhood to let him buy that beer he promised me!
drinks.gif
rockwoot.gif

Engine Shipping Update: 03/04/2013

PRO Number 875-967702-1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pickup Date:03/01/2013

Estimated

Delivery Date:03/08/2013

Ship From:pORTLAND, OR 97266
Ship To:TYLERTOWN, MS 39667

Here's a Monday morning update on the Isabella RePowering Fund:

There have been 61 Paypal donations to date (with a few paper checks still in the mail.)

Total Paypal proceeds amount to $2802.92

I have paid for the eBay engine (999.99) and the parts order from Ron Ayers (150.52)

Current Paypal balance after expenses: $1652.41

This is surely enough money to pay Mike's trusted mechanic for all of the work previously discussed including a thorough overall service and have a few dollars left over to do with as Mike sees fit.

After thinking this over this weekend, I am in full agreement that these funds were donated to Patriot for his situation. Nobody ever said anything about setting up a continuing "help fund." I certainly never volunteered for any such thing. That idea has merit, but you'll need to start from scratch, get someone to volunteer to oversee such a fund, and collect money with that being the stated goal. That's not what happened here.

Before we'd discussed what was to become of any "overages", I was thinking that I had an obligation to all of the donors to oversee the funds until the repairs had been made and this all came to a full conclusion. But I now see that this money belongs to Patriot. And who better to oversee the repairs to Isabella from here on than him?

As I've just told Mike, I'd be glad to give him advice on anything he needs going forward, as I am sure many others here would be, but he certainly doesn't need me to get in the middle to affect these repairs. It's his beloved Isabella, his mechanic Aaron, his new engine on its way on the truck, and it's his money.

I have emailed Mike this morning to arrange for the transfer of all funds to him. I will also forward the checks and any other proceeds that come in later to him as they come in.

Thanks to everyone who has donated. I think we've done something really good here. I am just happy to have been a part of it.

Thank you Fred for all your work. This is a amazing community. (I mailed a check to you on Saturday). Sorry I'm "old school".