running bad (feeling blessed)...limped home (walking on air)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the chance to purchase Jeff's '08 at a smoking price 3 weeks ago, but, of course, mine was running just fine

and that was before I realized my tax return would cover it

depression sets in

Backfiring could be cam timing off. Cam timing off, would be rough running cause if it is off. We don't know that, but pulling the valve cover is the only way to know.
You don't remember hearing such noises before, when it was on the road?

I know you've heard the cam chain rattle before, so I assume this is a different sound?

I'm not sure where to go now except to trailer it to your man and have him look it over.

From your earlier description of what happened on the trip home that day, the symptom was sudden, not something that built up and faded in over time. The chain skipping a tooth would be sudden like that.

****, I hope you're not the first double-grenade. Geez, Mike.

On the bright side, it's still running. And other users have reported one-tooth-off timing and been fine after correcting it.

BTW, don't run it any more until the cam timing has been checked and the tensioner has been verified as OK. Goes without saying, I hope.
it does sound like a cam CHAIN rattle...not marbles in a can...but a distinct CLATTER that gets scary loud with throttle/rpm

I can hardly believe the new, improved CCT put in 40k miles ago would torment me with a fail, but then could the guide or something else fail in there...well, doesn't matter until the engine is diagnosed...

I do count my blessings that it didn't grenade outright between limping home and now...I remember well that feeling when original engine stopped, never to run again

the worse part is my Patriot Guard Riders ministry requires a motorcycle as I'm in a leadership position. That sucks the most.

And I'm convinced I'm on borrowed time healthwise and want to get in the most riding I can until I can't ride anymore.

crap

<anybody know of a '04 ABS in excellent condition for sale for $4-5k for a buddy in need>

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

I'm holding my breath and crossing my fingers for ya!

One word...

APE

ytr6.jpg

If you need an engine I don't think a Gen2 engine will just fall right in, they have different mounts if memory serves me right. Good luck!

Sensors, fuel feed, ECU, many differences. Not a straight swap at all between gens.

Mike,

I am (supposed to be) off this Wednesday and Thursday. If you need some help moving and transporting, do not hesitate to call.

I know you do not want to have to buy new and start all over, hopefully this can all be fixed. You have my # and my e-mail, I would be honored to assist you.

Well, that ain't no TPS problem, that's for damn sure. But it's not injectors, spark plugs, or the ECU either.

It is really impossible (for anyone) to diagnose these sounds from here, Mike. Sounds like it's time for the bike to go visit your trusted mechanic.

Sorry for your troubles. Good luck getting her fixed.

Mike - I read the whole thread. I'm sorry this is happening. Just based on what I've read, I'd say it's worth the $75.00 to have the mechanic at least tell you it's grenaded, or tell you it's fixable.

Since it does run, even poorly as it is, the engine is likely not beyond repair. Get it looked at and find out what the problem is before spending too much time worrying about it.

Sorry - my '09 motor is just about spoken for, finalizing the deal now.

I imagine I have all the parts required for the swap (Gen II motor into Gen I) - ECU, wire harness (if needed), etc. I'm not sure about the mounting points being different, never looked close enough side by side, but I've got a gen II frame as well...

Mike, don't give up yet. You didn't grenade the motor, so the chances it's repairable are favorable at this point. I'm sure we're all interested to see what's going on inside there. Good luck.

Wayne

I had the chance to purchase Jeff's '08 at a smoking price 3 weeks ago, but, of course, mine was running just fineand that was before I realized my tax return would cover it
extrememarine still has his low mile '09 engine available for $500. Parts donor?

--G

He's awake, he's just a little overwhelmed and unhappy right now.

Gentlemen, I tell you that this man is one of the most passionate motorcyclists I know. He loves to ride, he rides all the time. That stupid saying normally associated with Harley owners, "Live to ride, ride to live" actually applies to Mike. The motorcycle is his outlet. His forum name shows his dedication to his position with the Patriot Guard, and I believe he is active with the Christian Motorcyclists. If anybody on this forum needs a motorcycle, it is Mike. I feel certain that the bike is important to his health, both mental and physical.

I sincerely hope that the motor can be repaired. If it comes to swapping over his accessories to a new bike, that could be a real chore. I will do my part, I am sure there are some others on here who know him and know better than I how to help him. If anyone of you have any suggestions...

One point everyone should be aware of is that the bike is/was running, albeit badly.

That is a GOOD sign. That means the pistons haven't hammered the valves up into the head.

Mike's description of the issue, so far, lends me to believe the cam chain is VERY loose and the valve timing has slipped.

Not slipped enough to cause expensive piston-to-valve collisions, but enough to change the timing on the intake and/or exhaust cycle and seriously fooking up the bike's ability to run correctly.

Again, just based on description, but fortunately NOT the end of the world for Isabella.

Mike, if you only lived closer, we'd have this knocked out in an afternoon or two!

Best wishes, my friend...I said a silent word or two over the gremlin bell you sent me.