running bad (feeling blessed)...limped home (walking on air)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
**** ME

so I'm the 3 striker and nobody has had 3 CCT fails or whatever in the timing or burnt a valve

God or the motorcycle gods tormenting me is beyond belief

PGR f'in requires a motorcycle...so I'm facing another shitty situation that ...

oh well

life's a bitch and then we die

thanx for the opportunity to vent

I know most of you care, and that means something

I do not have the confidence/ability to pull the valve cover

lotsa engines on ebay...I wish my crystal ball could definitely tell me how long it's down

I'm not gonna do well like the 6mo engine grenade or the 4mo burnt valve

or just give up on Isabella and bury her or use her as a parts bike

all these posssibilities are quite traumatic and horrible

I'm very very depressed...have a few moments of the black curtain and voices in my head laughing

so when troubled or depressed, I take a ride...wait, can't...more depressed need a ride...wait...etc etc etc

**** me

Hang in there buddy. All it takes is money or time. Or friends willing to give some time.

Is the bike at the mechanic yet? I am really liking RadioHowie's upbeat assessment. (oh no! did I really just type that?) I think he is absolutely correct. Let's see what your mechanic has to say and go from there.

Worst case scenario: We wait until Beemerdons is off riding that half-grown BMW south of the border and go "liberate" his 2013...
evil.gif

Mike - I've been there, I can sympathize. There was no way to describe the way I felt the moment I looked down range and saw Vader laying on it's side - I could tell with the way the Givi was angled things were not good as well as the fact that both saddlebags were gone.

Leading up to that point, I didn't thing the bike could get any better. The suspension could not get any better for me. Gone in an instant.

You're in a better place than I was, for sure. The bike is down not because you balled it up, and it's still alive, or rather shows signs that she can be saved.

Sending good thoughts for the best case solution...

Wayne

Mike - take a deep breath. RadioHowie is spot on - it's broke, but likely not dead. That noise you are hearing could be the loosened cam chain rattling around. IF that's the case, you mechanic will be able to fix it fairly easily. Certainly without taking the whole motor apart. While you've got it there, he can take a compression check and ensure that you have plenty of Patriot Guard (and Pants) rides left in the ole girl.

Now, if the news is bad, forget about it and buy a low mileage used FJR pronto. R/H is right - you need to ride, it's only friggin money, and we ain't getting any younger. Sign your name on the line, keep your current bike for parts and go riding. I can come over and help you run your accessories.

One step at a time.

...so I'm the 3 striker and nobody has had 3 CCT fails or whatever in the timing or burnt a valve...I do not have the confidence/ability to pull the valve cover...
If the engine was running, though making noise you are still probably ok. If your cam chain has jumped a tooth it can cause low compression. Before starting or running your FJR it needs to see a mechanic that can diagnose your bike. Remember, your bike was diagnosed by the internet ;) You know what dealers think of that. It is as you saw the events, heard the noise, recounted it in writing to the interwebs, as us doofus's interpreted your description and replied with suggestions like we always do, telling you to change your battery and the rear differential oil.

Don't stress until you have some real facts. You are right to be alarmed, but I think your bike is going to be ok.

I'm with the others Mike; get Isabella over to your mechanic asap and let him look it over before doing anything else. The bike's still running, so it ain't all bad! ;)

Mike,

Let me repeat what mihalis wrote:

DO NOT ATTEMPT A RE-START OF YOUR BIKE

and add

...UNDER ANY CONDITION!!!

NOT until the valve cover has been removed, the crank/timing cover removed, the condition of the chain determined and the condition of the cam timing determined.

I know you trust your engine guy, but do NOT let him or any one else attempt to crank up Isabella until you've had the chain and timing checked.

PLEASE!!

Mike,
Let me repeat what mihalis wrote:

DO NOT ATTEMPT A RE-START OF YOUR BIKE

and add

...UNDER ANY CONDITION!!!

NOT until the valve cover has been removed, the crank/timing cover removed, the condition of the chain determined and the condition of the cam timing determined.

I know you trust your engine guy, but do NOT let him or any one else attempt to crank up Isabella until you've had the chain and timing checked.

PLEASE!!
Mike! I'd listen to this guy on this one if I were you!
rolleyes.gif

If my failing memory serves me correctly, the ONLY reason you can't swap engines between the Gens is the the speed sensor hook up.

Mike, I know you are in a bad place but Isabella is NOT dead yet. She is just sick. Take her to a doctor and get her healthy.

Patriot,

Your bike working!
This mean NO DAMAGE OR A VERY MINOR DAMAGE..I believe!
Do not worry!Whatever it has, it can repaired!
The best way like the other guys they said,is that you must go your bike to your mechanic.
You must do a little patience until you heard from your mechanic what your bike has..
Probably the news not so bad like that you believe..

I appreciate all the post and feel da love and support...believe me

and I have no intention of going near that starter button...and I'll tell my buddy mechanic that he should not start it until diagnosed...cam chain cover off and valve cover off to check the timing.

that being said...the fuckin' voices (remember, I'm a bipolar lunatic) keep saying the bike is going to be laid up for a long time while I scrape by my mental health without it repeating 2 other horrible experiences of no bike

and I'm on SS disability with my wife a pre-school teacher currently at the poverty level...4 in the household with 2 teenager daughters who are expensive to support...and the oldest Emily is also disabled bipolar

so the therapy of riding is "vital"...Patriot Guard is vital...I don't understand that God gave me a ministry that Gold Star Mothers who just lost their son to war, hug me on their most horrible day burying their son, tell me I / We made their day easier...more bearable...so in my leadership position, that work requires a motorcycle...I can't do what I do at that level driving my van

so if God takes my motorcyle away when I believe he gave that to me to keep my self esteem up, etc etc etc

well, I'm angry

and just so to conclude, I know the logic, I know what my head/brain understanding is, I know the facts

but right now, that means nothing to how I feel, it doesn't for a second help how I feel, how the battle is raging

feelings in my world aren't logical, rational, etc etc etc...they are what they are

but, ya'll have no idea what you mean to me, and the strength that comes from this forum to build me up on a personal level

thanx for listening

pissed in Nawlins'

fool.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Allright Mike,

Time to get unpissed. It is Mardi Gras, you live in the city that does it best. Tomorrow is Fat Tuesday, time to eat, drink and be merry. Then, get the damned bike to the mechanic. IMMEDIATELY get the bike to the mechanic. IMMEDIATELY. If you don't have the funds to get the bike to Mississippi I am off Wednesday and Thursday, I will come get it and get it there.

It's only money and time.

Allright Mike, Time to get unpissed. It is Mardi Gras, you live in the city that does it best. Tomorrow is Fat Tuesday, time to eat, drink and be merry. Then, get the damned bike to the mechanic. IMMEDIATELY get the bike to the mechanic. IMMEDIATELY. If you don't have the funds to get the bike to Mississippi I am off Wednesday and Thursday, I will come get it and get it there. It's only money and time.
punk.gif
smile.png
bike.gif

Allright Mike, Time to get unpissed. It is Mardi Gras, you live in the city that does it best. Tomorrow is Fat Tuesday, time to eat, drink and be merry. Then, get the damned bike to the mechanic. IMMEDIATELY get the bike to the mechanic. IMMEDIATELY. If you don't have the funds to get the bike to Mississippi I am off Wednesday and Thursday, I will come get it and get it there. It's only money and time.
ok, I'll bite as I'm feeling da lub

we'll take it together at the earliest convenience

email sent

grin.gif