Russell v. Corbin

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you're looking at this all wrong. You are concerned about which seat is more comfy, but there's a freakin 'wing sitting nex to the Feej. My guess is, THAT'S the more comfy seat. Anyway, I always thought those big side flaps on the Russell make it look like a serious fatass must use the bike. Not saying you or your sweety are fat, but the seat looks like it got squished by El Gordo.

I think you're looking at this all wrong. You are concerned about which seat is more comfy, but there's a freakin 'wing sitting nex to the Feej. My guess is, THAT'S the more comfy seat. Anyway, I always thought those big side flaps on the Russell make it look like a serious fatass must use the bike. Not saying you or your sweety are fat, but the seat looks like it got squished by El Gordo.
You're joking, right? What is this, the Harley forum? It's ugly and it makes my butt look fat. Do I give a rat's ass? That thing is comfortable all day and all night and that's all that counts.

I appreciate your comments, but i did not compare the corbin & russell just so someone could tell me the Goldwing has comfier seats. Most of us KNOW that the russell seats on the wing are far more comfortable. But i wanted to help the good people on this FJR forum who still sitting on the fence (so to speak) & trying to make an educated decision before choosing a saddle & parting with their money.

We are all entitled to our opinion. Personally i think that the stock seat looks boring and flat, while the Russell & Corbin flatter the looks of the bike. But again...who cares? My ONLY demand is that Valerie and I are comfortable. And if the trade-off is that the seat looks squished or you think that the owners are fat, then so be it. Actually, Valerie has been a performing ballerina for 20 years - laughed when she read your post ;) (i.e fat, she AIN'T)

After some years, my conclusion is that Corbin makes an excellent seat for bikes in Show & Shine comnpetitions while Russell makes an excellent seat for long days riding. Pick according to your intended use.

I have the Corbin, and love it. I am 6"2' with a 34' inseam. I had my seat ordered with the purchase of my bike, and made sure that they added 2 inches to the height of the seat. I did that knowing that Corbin usually sits lower than stock. The way they added the height was with extra padding. While I was waiting for it to come in. I found out that the stock seat is about the best stock seat I have ever seen on a bike. I could do about 200 miles before it started to bother me. With my Corbin, I can go all day without any problems. And get up the next day ready for more.

After some years, my conclusion is that Corbin makes an excellent seat for bikes in Show & Shine comnpetitions while Russell makes an excellent seat for long days riding. Pick according to your intended use.

With the Corbins I've had on my touring/sport touring bike, there was no problem putting in 10-12 hour days in the saddle...or longer, if necessary.

I don't spend $500+ on seats to just clean and gaze at them; they gotta be comfortable too. And, as mentioned before, the good looks is another benefit (when I do take the time to wash a bike which ain't that often). YMMV, etc......

OK - for all those that wanted pictures of the Corbin....here they are:
476088376_9PZhM-L.jpg
I don't know. If you could hang a roll of toilet paper off that thing you mite have somethin. :rolleyessmileyanim: Just sayin.

Seats I have had on my '05 FJR:

Stock seats

Corbin Canyon Close

Corbin Canyon Regular

Stock seats with Gel inserts added by KnoPlace

Corbin Modular in Leather w/ heat and extra padding (drivers only)

Rick Mayer custom dual (front and rear sculpted) in vinyl

Russell Daylong half moon in leather (sculpted front, recovered stock w/ gel insert rear)

The order of the list is how I rate them for comfort. I could have lived with the Corbin modular seat or the Rick, but I went the extra step and had a Russell made. All the rest are gone. Sold. No longer needed. Obsolete...

There is no comparison in terms of comfort.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my '06 last Sept and it came with a Corbin on the front seat. I've been riding it with the Corbin almost daily. I've had a Corbin gunfighter on my FJ for a number of years and a lot of miles. Its the flat, smooth gunfighter. I've seen a number of different styles of Corbin for the FJ, and I'm assuming you can get almost anything for the FJR, as well. Not sure what Corbin came on mine, but the PO did say he mod'd it a bit to lower the height. He and I are both vertically challenged at around 5'7".

Well, I decided for grins to put the stock seat on for today's commute. What an all-around POS! I felt like I was riding in an early sixties pickup truck. Bouncin' all around, up a lot higher, and feeling like the seat wants to wedge itself up my ass.

Now the Corbin I have isn't perfect, it tends to slide me into the tank, squishin' the vitals, and there's a little more weight on my arms. But its flatter and I can move around on it and its definitely is a lot lower. Good for getting my feet down and also good for being able to hunker down behind the windscreen with it fully up on 18 deg mornings like today.

I can't imagine keeping the stock seat on for any reason. I've never tried the Russell or any other seat, but they may be worth looking into.

When I bought my '04 FJR in 2007, it came with a Russell saddle. Soon after I bought the bike, I took a 3 day trip on it. While I can't compare the Russell with other custom seats because I've never tried them, the Russell saddle was the most comfortable seat I've ever had on any bike I've owned. During that trip and other trips I've taken, I have never gotten "buttsore" with the Russell seat.

However, because I'm only about 5'7", I didn't like that I could not flatfoot it with the Russell seat when I came to a stop, and especially when I was trying to move the bike around, like backing it into my garage.

I bought a stock seat off an '05 FJR on this Forum. The stock seat works fine, but I've never tried it on a long trip.

Eisen,

Sorry - way off subject here, but those side cases look like they have the flatter "city side case" lids on them that are only available in Europe (I believe). Did you have to order them special and if so - how much did you pay? I found the Yamaha part numbers for them but I couldn't find a source for them awhile back. I wanted them for the daily commute to work on my '07 . I think they look great, but probably wouldn't hold a full-face helmet (but that's okay for the short trips). Thanks.

I have a Sargeant on my '04 which I like alot. Specially comfy with the Airhawk Air Pad on Top.

However, I'd love to try out a Russell <or maybe not as my bank account gets assaulted by the need for a "new" seat>

I had a Corbin on an FZR6 and I kept sliding into the tank (same as post #29). I'm looking into a comfortable seat for my '07 FJR. I really like the looks of the Russell seat. If I want to hang off the side in turns, I would have bought an R1.

Thanks for posting pics and your evaluation of the seats. It's a big help to me.

I had a Corbin on an FZR6 and I kept sliding into the tank (same as post #29). I'm looking into a comfortable seat for my '07 FJR. I really like the looks of the Russell seat. If I want to hang off the side in turns, I would have bought an R1.
Thanks for posting pics and your evaluation of the seats. It's a big help to me.
I can still slide off the seat with my Russell tractor-style seat.

I can still slide off the seat with my Russell tractor-style seat.
Me, too!!! :dance:

[SIZE=8pt]Uhhh...oh, wait, this is about "touring" and comfort....not cornering techniques and general hooliganisms.[/SIZE]

I've read a number of posts that continue to remark about the "LOOKS". If that is your primary concern then by all means..... :blink:

When it became painfully obvious that the OEM seat on my bike was only good for 200-250 miles I had to make a decision. I read every bit of information available at that time (...yes, a number of years ago...) and decided to follow the advice of two FJR owners who had accumulated many hours "in the saddle". Because of what Bounce and Warchild had written about Russell I booked a "ride in" appointment and had mine built there.

I suffered "butt-burn" just to get to Russell. On the way home, at about the 150 mile mark, I noticed that the pain was easing and there were no "hot spots", and the seat wasn't even broken in. What a difference for me!

Since then I have ridden many 12-14 hour/600+ mile days, back to back to back. I know that with my Russell seat I can ride day after day after day and be ready the next day. THAT is what I was looking for when I bought mine. Like my little trip to NAFO last year. Day's rides: 1) Sac-Salt Lake City; 2) Salt Lake City to Steamboat Springs CO; 3) Steamboat-Rabbit Ears Passs-Walden-Willow Creek Pass (in the rain)-Granby-Steamboat; 4) Steamboat-Hwy 9-Hwy 24-Poncha Springs-Crested Butte; 5) Crested Butte-Golden w/ TWN; 6)Golden-Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park-Golden w/ TurboDave and Pegscrapers; 7)day off while on "Guard Duty"; 8) Golden-Hwy 70, 133-550-62-Telluride-Cortez; 9) Cortez CO-Natural Bridges Nat'l Monument w/ FJRay-Glen Canyon-Richfiled-Hwy 50-Ely NV; 11) Ely NV-Tahoe-Sacramento. And I'm NOT an IBA guy, I just like to ride!

I really don't care what anyone else thinks about its looks. They can look all they want....want to ride?

YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator: