S.E. Ohio Ramble - anybody gonna organize one?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a great riding plan!! I would try to stay off 50 as much as possible and just use it for must-use throughways. Lunch? Whew...most of the small towns have little diners. I usually pack my lunch and stop in a state park, like Zalewski SF, Lake Hope SP, or in an AEP rec area, or wherever there may be a good view (old churches on hills).

You basically never know how any one road will be until you're riding on on it, and yes they have been working on the rural loads in the area so it may be mixed.

I think the only real solution here is to pack up the family and move to the twisties :lol:

As it turns out, there is a slight chance I can go. Doubt it, but it could happen!

I guess I'll have start planning another ramble. October?

I will use post 78 to keep a summary of who is planning on coming. The proposed route is in post #74...

April 20-22, Athens, OH.

Ride in Friday.

Ride all day Saturday. Chill after the ride with some food and beers (or pop) with your new found friends.

Ride home Sunday.

As of 4/08/07: 5 riders, 2 definite maybe, 3 more possibles

wheatonFJR

HEET

timk

drc32-0

WVFJR

Definite Maybes :)

JohnnysockoflyingFJR

Renegade

POSSIBLES

Geezer

yamaholic

VFR Rider

Huron52

.....who else?

Post up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on the weather/road conditions in this part of the country but I might be interested..

I know it is a little over a month away.

This little ride is now only a month away. If you've never been to this part of Ohio, this would be a good ride to see it on. :clapping:

Any other takers? Anybody on the fence wanna firm up their commitment?

Put me down as a definate maybe :blink: .......being its my backyard, I'll perhaps show up bright and early Sat., I think a few of us will be previewing the area this weekend :rolleyes:

John

[SIZE=18pt]NOTICE: CHANGE OF MEETING PLACE[/SIZE] 4/17/07

Only [SIZE=14pt]3 days[/SIZE] until this planned ride in SE Ohio happens...

Any other takers for this fun ride? All those listed on post #62 need to firm up their commitments. Send me a PM indicating which way you are going on this ride.

Note: I have not been out much at all this spring...so the pace here will not start out excessively swift and may seem ponderous to some of the local riders. I will ride my own ride...if I feel in the groove I may pick it up later in the ride. If a better skilled rider wants to lead...I have no problem with that.

The Days Inn must be defunct or out-of-business so I have been forced to make reservations at the [SIZE=14pt]Budget Inn Express[/SIZE]Super 8 in Athens, OH.

See you there at 8:30 am, gassed up -ready to go. Saturday, April 21, 2007.

Meet in the [SIZE=14pt]Budget Inn Express[/SIZE]SUPER 8 parking lot at 8:30 am...Ride leaves the [SIZE=14pt]Budget Inn Express[/SIZE]SUPER 8 parking lot 9am sharp

The [SIZE=14pt]Budget Inn Express[/SIZE]SUPER 8 is located at 997 E State St., Athens, OH 45701.

(740) 593-5565

This motel is on the east side of town and can be accessed from US 50 (east of US 33). Mapquest or Google for directions.

I'm am still tryng to do make this ride, and the chances are more than 50/50 :)

Almost 2 inches of snow today. Probably ashed down a lot of roads. Of course the majority of the ride is South of me,maybe they didn't get as much.Crazy weather for sure. 81 2 days ago.

Sorry I’ve got to miss this one.

I hope Mother Nature cooperates.

Tom

[SIZE=14pt]Revised 4/17/07[/SIZE]

I've had to change the motel meeting location AGAIN :glare: because supposedly there was not a room with 2 doubles in it left at the super 8. Therefore, we are meeting at the [SIZE=14pt]Budget Inn Express parking lot[/SIZE]. This motel is only about a mile west of the super 8.

I've revised the route based on the recent Ohio ride report, the [SIZE=14pt]Budget Inn Express[/SIZE]starting point and less travel on US 50.

The first break would be after a couple hours just east of Marietta at about POI 7.

The lunch break would be about a couple more hours at a Bob Evans (or other close-by restaurant) in New Martinsville, WV. We would also gas up at this stop. POI 11.

Depending on how sleepy we are after lunch, we will either take one or two stops after lunch. One of the stops for sure will be a couple hours later at the Miner's Memorial with the famous "Big Muskie" Bucket. POI 16.

Athens, OH Budget Inn Express

SEOH298AthensBudgetInnExpress.jpg

Overall

SEOH298overall.jpg

West half

SEOH298westhalf.jpg

East half

SEOH298easthalf.jpg

See you there at the [SIZE=14pt]Budget Inn Express [/SIZE]parking lot at 8:30 am...gassed up - ready to go!!

Hey Wheaton-Just wondering why you cut out the 556 section of the ride?Also,the section of 78 from 555(Ringgold) to Glouster or Bishopsville is well worth a detour.

It looks like I'll be able to join you for the ride,I didn't make it to California-I'm back in W.V.

See ya.

Hey Wheaton-Just wondering why you cut out the 556 section of the ride?Also,the section of 78 from 555(Ringgold) to Glouster or Bishopsville is well worth a detour.
It looks like I'll be able to join you for the ride,I didn't make it to California-I'm back in W.V.

See ya.
The 556 section: The earlier Ohio ride showed that rt 26 east of 260 sucked. Therefore, I had to go north or south to avoid 26. This lengthened the ride about 20 miles...It could remain "in" if all who show up have the stamina and vigor to want the extra mileage. I left in 536...I thought I understood that 536 was the better of the two roads. We can do them both if that works out for those attending.

Rt 78 I like also: I thought those looking for more twisties might want to take 555 from 78 down to 550. However, if people are tired at the end of the day it might be better to take 78...it certainly is a fine stretch of road if I remember correctly. I guess I would ask people at the Miner's Bucket rest stop how they feel.

Glad to see you made it back from your trip okay.

[SIZE=14pt]Notice 4/17/07[/SIZE]: Revised meeting place - now is at [SIZE=14pt]Budget Inn Express[/SIZE]Super 8 motel. See Post #68.

I will use this post to keep a summary of who is planning on coming. The proposed route will be in post #74...

I am revising the route due to the motel change so we don't ride alot through town. I will also include rt 556 again...total mileage will be less than 300 miles and we can shorten that by not doing certain loops if people are getting tired.

April 20-22, Athens, OH.

Ride in Friday.

Ride all day Saturday. Chill after the ride with some food and beers (or pop) with your new found friends.

Ride home Sunday.

As of 4/16/07: 5 riders, 2 definite maybe, 1 more possibles

RIDERS

wheatonFJR

timk

drc32-0

WVFJR

griff

Definite Maybes

JohnnysockoflyingFJR

Renegade

POSSIBLES