S.E. Ohio Ramble - anybody gonna organize one?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I would love to go to this... and thanks Mark for putting me down as a Possible.

Work is got me busy for at least four more weeks... then I am busting out to head south!

Could you please put a bridge across Lake Erie for me... it would save me from riding around it all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be riding in on Saturday morning and staying Saturday night . I haven't made any room reservation yet but shouldn't be a problem. This is if the weather holds and don't snow our worse before then. I'm ready to ride 50 miles short of 1000 miles on the blk cherry lady. :clapping:

Bill

Who else is staying overnight in Athens?
If I can make it (still negotiating, have lots of kid stuff happening that weekend) I will be more than likely spending the night.

So I'd be in the 'Get a great steak, and beer and bench racing' crowd afterwards.

I don't know about Ohio, but it's snowing again here n NY. :angry:
I've been watching the weather for sure...but was gratified to see that 60s and cloudy were forecast for next Friday. I'll ride in 50s and scattered rain or 40s and no rain, so 60s and cloudy sounded good to me.

I'll check the weather tonight. If it takes a bad turn for the worse...I'll call it wednesday morning. Not expecting that to happen...just checked...looking good. Sunny & 60s. :)

...also adding griff to the rider list.

I'm getting up early Sat also. Stayin Sat nite. We were supposed to get 2-4 inches of heavy snow/slush yesterday and today, but didn't happen. Anyone know where breakfast is going to be????

I'm getting up early Sat also. Stayin Sat nite. We were supposed to get 2-4 inches of heavy snow/slush yesterday and today, but didn't happen. Anyone know where breakfast is going to be????
Tim,

I don't know where people are getting breakfast. I'll probably just do the continental and coffee at the Budget Inn Expresssuper 8. MS S&T indicates a Bob Evans a mile or so west of the Budget Inn ExpressSuper 8 on E. State St. It shows it just west of US 33. Now S&T may be wrong so don't shoot me if it isn't there. There is also a McDonald's farther east on State St. closer to the Super 8. Others will have to chime if they want to meet you some place.

As a reminder (see post#68), we are meeting at the super 8 parking lot at 8:30 (tanks filled)...getting to greet each other a little bit then leaving on our ride at 9am sharp.

I know this may be a bit early for some...but this is a full day's ride and do not want to get out to a late start. If it seems a bit early for some, consider staying over Friday night at the Super 8 or some other motel and we can get a chance to meet and greet Friday night. Also, if you stay after the ride at the motel, we'll be able to catch dinner together and a few "refreshments" afterward while going over the day's fun!

I will give a few minutes prior to the ride to go over "ground rules" for the ride.

Also, to reiterate what was mentioned in post #68 and other posts before...I am looking to some of the local riders for some assistance. I am an out-of-state flatlander who has not been out that much this spring due to the weather we've been having in IL. My skills are nowhere near mid-season level and I am riding almost all of these roads for the first time and don't know their condition till I ride them. Though I will be tempted, I will not attempt to ride faster than my skill level to make a more enjoyable ride tempo for others. Therefore, if you are a local, have good riding skills and have lead a group ride before, please PM me if you would be willing to assist in this manner.

Just because someone publicizes an upcoming ride or chats alot on a Forum does not make them a premier rider; it certainly isn't the case in my instance. Given nobody stepping forward, I will gladly lead you on a flatlander's tour of SE Ohio. :D

I am sorry to let you guys know I may have to pass on the ride. I have to go out of town for work on Friday. I don't think I will be ready to go and get there by 9 am Saturday. I apologize for the last minute change.

I will have to look forward to future rides. :)

I am sorry to let you guys know I may have to pass on the ride. I have to go out of town for work on Friday. I don't think I will be ready to go and get there by 9 am Saturday. I apologize for the last minute change.
I will have to look forward to future rides. :)
That's okay Heet. There will be other rides to catch up on I'm sure.

[SIZE=14pt]Revised 4/17/07[/SIZE]

I've had to change the motel meeting location AGAIN :glare: because supposedly there was not a room with 2 doubles in it left at the super 8. Therefore, we are meeting at the [SIZE=14pt]Budget Inn Express parking lot[/SIZE]. This motel is only about a mile west of the super 8.

I've revised the route based on the recent Ohio ride report, the [SIZE=14pt]Budget Inn Express[/SIZE]starting point and less travel on US 50.

The first break would be after a couple hours just east of Marietta at about POI 7.

The lunch break would be about a couple more hours at a Bob Evans (or other close-by restaurant) in New Martinsville, WV. We would also gas up at this stop. POI 11.

Depending on how sleepy we are after lunch, we will either take one or two stops after lunch. One of the stops for sure will be a couple hours later at the Miner's Memorial with the famous "Big Muskie" Bucket. POI 16.

Athens, OH Budget Inn Express

SEOH298AthensBudgetInnExpress.jpg

Overall

SEOH298overall.jpg

West half

SEOH298westhalf.jpg

East half

SEOH298easthalf.jpg

See you there at the [SIZE=14pt]Budget Inn Express [/SIZE]parking lot at 8:30 am...gassed up - ready to go!!

[SIZE=14pt]Notice 4/17/07[/SIZE]: Revised meeting place - now is at [SIZE=14pt]Budget Inn Express[/SIZE]Super 8 motel.

I will also include rt 556 again...total mileage will be less than 300 miles and we can shorten that by not doing certain loops if people are getting tired.

April 20-22, Athens, OH.

Ride in Friday.

Ride all day Saturday. Chill after the ride with some food and beers (or pop) with your new found friends.

Ride home Sunday.

As of 4/19/07: 5 riders

RIDERS

wheatonFJR

timk

drc32-0

WVFJR

griff

Whelp, barring a miracle... I'm not going to be able to make this... I have two daughters competing for my time on both days. I was really hoping to be able to bypass two of the events on Saturday and get back in town in time on Sunday but that's damn near impossible.

Sorry fellas... I'll see you all at EOM I hope. Perhaps we'll hook up before then.

:grrr:

-MD

Sorry you can't make it Renegade...

Turn by Turn directions attached. We will have to "zero out" the trip meter as we pass the super 8, otherwise the turn directions will be off by a mile or so...

turndirections-MSPaint.jpg

Looks like the weather is going to be great, Have a fun & safe ride.

Tom

Thanks Tstaff, maybe I will meet you at one of the other rides this year...

One additional note: There isn't alot out in the sticks of SE Ohio.

THEREFORE, Be sure to be prepared to bring some liquids and snacks with you in your tank bag or wherever you keep them.

We will be stopping at a restaurant for lunch...but the morning & afternoon stops are not scheduled for any towns. You will have a chance at the noon stop when we gas up again to get some more liquids and snacks, but be sure to be prepared with them already in the morning.

We don't need anybody getting dehydrated or lose focus because they didn't keep themselves hydrated or had a low sugar level. :blink:

We will be stopping somewhere in a wide spot on the road in the morning and at the miner's bucket at the afternoon stop. I have scheduled for stops to occur after about 2 hours of riding.

We will stop in a shorter intervals if the situation warrants...maybe two stops after lunch if some are getting sleepy, but right now there is just one morning and one afternoon stop scheduled.

If you want more time to meet your new friends...come a little earlier in the morning.

See you at the Budget Inn Express...8:30 am!

BTW, I will be on the road Friday...so if you have any questions, ask them now.

Where are you other "overnighters" staying?

Well, just heard from Johnnysocko that work unexpectedly called for him to work on Saturday...which is too bad, 'cuz unless something changes...it's supposed to be great weather on Saturday for this time of year.

The list of riders who have committed for this ride then are:

As of 4/19/07: 5 riders

RIDERS

wheatonFJR

timk

drc32-0

WVFJR

griff

See you Saturday morning at the meeting spot. I will be the grey haired overweight guy with the silver '04 (IL plates) and will be wearing a yellow/black jacket with a maroon full-face helmet... :)

Griff will be riding with me from Indiana, and he has an '03.

I'm leaving Morgantown 5.30am sat mourning. I'll be on a blk cherry 07 may have a friend on a sliver 04. I'm reading to ride. :yahoo:

4:30 for me, going to ride the backroads at deer crash speed, then stop for breakfast. Got a GPS and want to see if it loses me.

See you guys there Sat. AM.

I will be leaving tommorrow morning and getting to Athens Friday night after getting in a little "Thompson Ridge Road Run" near Laurelville.

Bad news, my Mom just got into put into intensive care, so if anyone that's going see this, tell the others at the Budget Inn I won't make it.