S&T 2010 for 14.99 @ Staples 6/18/10 Only!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This new version is AWESOME compared to previous versions. Get it while you can and toss the old POS versions. The best thing about this new version is the ability to EXPORT your trip to a GPX format, which can be easily IMPORTED into Garmin’s Mapsource. Mapsource SUCKS for creating trips, MS Trips is easy but before this version couldn’t be easily used to send info to Garmin’s Mapsource.

DIRECT LINK TO PRODUCT

Ok, I jumped in...never used this before, but I don't like passing up great deals...so I'll have something new to play with and make it beneficial to my riding routes.

For once I got in on something good before it was too late. Left work and scampered to the nearest Staples.

Thanks 01VFR, greatly appreciated.

I got mine ordered; to be delivered to my local Staples sometime later.

I figure to give it a try; I'm an "ijit" with waypoints, transferring gpx, etc, but what the heck, I figure at this price for S&T maybe I oughta learn!

I only recently graduated from the map in a tankbag window...

Thanks Corey

Just ordered mine. Free delivery to my local Staples - $14.99 + tax. = $16.41. Be there on the 24th.

Keep Going!

Staples has gotta be lovin' the FJR Forum! :rofl:

Mine will be in the store on Tuesday.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, this may be obvious to most, but someone had to point out to me that you can install it on TWO computers.

BTW, this may be obvious to most, but someone had to point out to me that you can install it on TWO computers.
Thanks for that. Now, here's a question. My netbook has no optical drive, so how do I install anything on CD/DVD on the netbook? Can I patch the netbook to the laptop and and install from the laptop's drive? Just wondering.

Thanks for that. Now, here's a question. My netbook has no optical drive, so how do I install anything on CD/DVD on the netbook? Can I patch the netbook to the laptop and and install from the laptop's drive? Just wondering.
You go buy the CD and to install it you can download the program from the internet and then you will need to use the Key Code from the CD to activate. it.

Another thanks to 01VFR for bringing this to our attention. Made a quick stop by my local Staples this morning and my order was waiting. Haven't (yet) completely got my arms around it, but it seems to have much more capability than my circa Fred Flintstone version (2005)

Loaded it on both the primary computer and my traveling netbook ...both were able to transfer to my garmin with little drama, (although I'll be looking for more efficient wayof doing this) I then opened some GPX files with little drama so that was nice too .....looks like GPSU and MapSucks may well be retired (yeah!!) ....but too soon to know for sure.

I then gave it the ultimate tests to see if I could load and then transfer a few key spots needed for my commute east:

100623_ST2010Test.gif

Looks good on the monitor, looks good on the GPS -but until I roll into the pussycat ranch I'm not even going to consider uninstalling the old version.

Another thanks to 01VFR for bringing this to our attention. Made a quick stop by my local Staples this morning and my order was waiting. Haven't (yet) completely got my arms around it, but it seems to have much more capability than my circa Fred Flintstone version (2005)
Loaded it on both the primary computer and my traveling netbook ...both were able to transfer to my garmin with little drama, (although I'll be looking for more efficient wayof doing this) I then opened some GPX files with little drama so that was nice too .....looks like GPSU and MapSucks may well be retired (yeah!!) ....but too soon to know for sure.

I then gave it the ultimate tests to see if I could load and then transfer a few key spots needed for my commute east:

100623_ST2010Test.gif

Looks good on the monitor, looks good on the GPS -but until I roll into the pussycat ranch I'm not even going to consider uninstalling the old version.
Once you get use to the interface and master the ability to route just with the mouse, you'll be hooked. Mapsource does have a couple of advantages over this though:

1. ability to see gravel roads (which may or may not be up to date in mapsource

2. ability to move your points to intersections so they dont get announced

I design my route in st2010, then transfer them into mapsource for the final editing, then send them to the gps. the original route planning in st2010 is so much faster and easier, it just impossible to plan initial routes in mapsource once you get use to the alternative.

GreyGoose

Once you get use to the interface and master the ability to route just with the mouse, you'll be hooked. Mapsource does have a couple of advantages over this though:1. ability to see gravel roads (which may or may not be up to date in mapsource

But Mapsucks can't give you current "Road Construction Info" along your route like S&T does.

I design my route in st2010, then transfer them into mapsource for the final editing, then send them to the gps. the original route planning in st2010 is so much faster and easier, it just impossible to plan initial routes in mapsource once you get use to the alternative.
Yep, same way I do it.

I posted this a few days ago to another list....some tips on the new 2010 version:

Another great new feature is the ability to "rename" route points in the "Route Planning" window. Say you have a starting location of your house, entered by your address, and an ending location, maybe something like a hotel and a waypoint in the middle used for routing, like an exit number where you want to make a turn, or a gas station. In the past these would need to remain named whatever S&T puts there (address, gas station name, etc.). No more, now you can right-click on them and call them whatever you want. For my 48++ I used a naming convention that I wanted to see on my GPS so I'd know why they were there. If it was a stop to get a state receipt I called it STOP-CITY-ST. If it was a gas stop I called it GAS-CITY-ST, and for a simple routing waypoint I named it WAYPOINT. With this I could look ahead in my street direction screen and see where my next waypoint was for a receipt stop, gas stop, or simply somewhere I wanted to force a turn. It made it much easier to navigate when my mind was a little fuzzy after multiple 1k days. So, call the stops what you want in S&T and those names transfer to Mapsource where they get included in your route instructions as via-points. Only bummer is you can't rename them in Mapsource, so get it right in S&T.

The other cool new feature is they've combined the three tools most used into one. These were on the toolbar and called "zoom in", "select" and "pan". Now all three can be done with the mouse without having to choose the tool. In other words you can do any of the three without having to switch tools. To zoom in you can double-click the map with the left mouse button (same function as the scroll-wheel). Or you can click and drag the right mouse button to draw a box around a box around the area you want to select to zoom to, then left click inside the box to do the actual zoom. And to pan (drag the map around) simply click and drag with the left mouse button. Once you get used to doing it this way you'll really be cursing at Mapsource and wondering why it doesn't work so intuitively.

Once you get use to the interface and master the ability to route just with the mouse, you'll be hooked. Mapsource does have a couple of advantages over this though:1. ability to see gravel roads (which may or may not be up to date in mapsource

But Mapsucks can't give you current "Road Construction Info" along your route like S&T does.

Yep, same way I do it.

I posted this a few days ago to another list....some tips on the new 2010 version:

Another great new feature is the ability to "rename" route points in the "Route Planning" window. Say you have a starting location of your house, entered by your address, and an ending location, maybe something like a hotel and a waypoint in the middle used for routing, like an exit number where you want to make a turn, or a gas station. In the past these would need to remain named whatever S&T puts there (address, gas station name, etc.). No more, now you can right-click on them and call them whatever you want. For my 48++ I used a naming convention that I wanted to see on my GPS so I'd know why they were there. If it was a stop to get a state receipt I called it STOP-CITY-ST. If it was a gas stop I called it GAS-CITY-ST, and for a simple routing waypoint I named it WAYPOINT. With this I could look ahead in my street direction screen and see where my next waypoint was for a receipt stop, gas stop, or simply somewhere I wanted to force a turn. It made it much easier to navigate when my mind was a little fuzzy after multiple 1k days. So, call the stops what you want in S&T and those names transfer to Mapsource where they get included in your route instructions as via-points. Only bummer is you can't rename them in Mapsource, so get it right in S&T.

The other cool new feature is they've combined the three tools most used into one. These were on the toolbar and called "zoom in", "select" and "pan". Now all three can be done with the mouse without having to choose the tool. In other words you can do any of the three without having to switch tools. To zoom in you can double-click the map with the left mouse button (same function as the scroll-wheel). Or you can click and drag the right mouse button to draw a box around a box around the area you want to select to zoom to, then left click inside the box to do the actual zoom. And to pan (drag the map around) simply click and drag with the left mouse button. Once you get used to doing it this way you'll really be cursing at Mapsource and wondering why it doesn't work so intuitively.
You seem to have forgotten one of the most useful tools here. Try this one out. create a route with just a start and an end point. st2010 will paint the line in between the 2 point. now left click anywhere on that blue line and drag it to another spot on the map. ST2010 will automatically include a via point to that spot and reroute you through it. So basically you can "grab and go" adding points along the way between the beginning and end points untill your custom route is done. This combination of tools is hard to beat.

Once saved, you export to the .gpx (which is new in st2010), load into mapsource, double check your route while moving your via points to intersections, and send to the gps. This double check your route is an important statement. i recently did the above and mapsource changed a portion of my route (damn thing thought i was able to take a ferry across a river (vs. the bridge i had mapped in st2010)).

GreyGoose

Once you get use to the interface and master the ability to route just with the mouse, you'll be hooked. Mapsource does have a couple of advantages over this though:
1. ability to see gravel roads (which may or may not be up to date in mapsource

GreyGoose
Being much more familiar and fond of S&T there is little doubt where my preliminary mapping will happen.

Yes, already i'm finding that exporting and going to MapSucks seems to be better than dickin' around with that terrible MS/Garmin interface. So it seems MapSucks will stay in the mix. Plus as you mention, it does give the opportunity for tweaking if one wishes. As long as you've got them both up and handy, doing so is not that big of a deal.

thanks for your good thoughts.

Yep, same way I do it.

It is much easier to rename in the new version and that is an awesome pointer Dennis!!, however you could rename under "properties" previously -I always use specific names/themes ...and because I don't typically do full routes (rather waypoints) I often also have them named to identify day and ideal order. Much easier now.

Hmmm, I rename in MapSucks all the time ..right click and properties from either listing or map will allow you to edit the name.

LOL ....jeeze do I feel like a dummy -I was looking for those icons and cursing ...now thanks to you I realize they've been done away with for a much smarter methodology. Wow, that rocks ...thanks much you can really move much faster. Owe ya a beer. awesome stuff all the way around dennis, thanks

Well ... loaded S & T today and looks good ... EXCEPT !! My Streetpilot 2730 is NOT compatable with it :( .. or so it seems. And THAT'S why I bought the updated S & T ---------------- Oh well !! Something new to play with anyway.... for cheap ..

-

-

-

-

-

Now I'm hoping for replies from you "knowledgible" guys to tell me how to make the compatability :)

S&T will not see the StreetPilots directly. Their USB interface does not have a COM1 or COM2 driver that S&T expects to find. Export the GPX from S&T and load it into Mapsource, and transfer from there.