"San Diego ride"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so I am planing a San Diego group ride. I wanted to kind of test the waters and see what the availability of the so cal folks down here in San Diego and of course neighboring areas... :rolleyes: So post back if interested and lets make this happen.

Dave

[SIZE=14pt]Hell yea!!!![/SIZE]

I've been trying to get something going for the FJR's in this area for a while.

Post a date. THose that can come, will. If we get this started, we can post additional dates all summer long.

Ok, so I say we shoot for May 24th... My schedule is up in the air right now but, lets see what happens... :good:

It will be fun to get all of us socal peps. together on our FJR's and put some pavement behind us. :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so I say we shoot for May 24th... My schedule is up in the air right now but, lets see what happens... :good: It will be fun to get all of us socal peps. together on our FJR's and put some pavement behind us. :yahoo:

I've got it on my calendar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, at what location and at what time do you want to meet?

To keep it some what neutral.. I say the Starbucks At 10720 Westview Parkway San Diego, CA 92126-2962 it's right off of the 15 fwy. In Mira Mesa, by the albertsons shopping center, At say 8:30 am

Clicky, Clicky

To keep it some what neutral.. I say the Starbucks At 10720 Westview Parkway San Diego, CA 92126-2962 it's right off of the 15 fwy. In Mira Mesa, by the albertsons shopping center, At say 8:30 amOn

On northern rides we usually meet at Bear Valley Parkway Starbucks (south Escondido). Consider that for us north county guys (when applicable). It seems like there are a lot of us.

On northern rides we usually meet at Bear Valley Parkway Starbucks (south Escondido). Consider that for us north county guys (when applicable). It seems like there are a lot of us.

Ok we also need to consider what route we are taking, I know the roads in San Diego like the back of my hand. So if we leave from the starbucks in Mira Mesa, I have a fun route planned... But it would work from Escondido as well. But for me it would be doubling back. I do see your point though after looking at everyones local.

So lets see how this goes and we will poll everyone for a meeting spot later. If I indeed end up leading the ride, I would like to feel comfortable with the route...

Dave

Bump

Well come on lets keep this alive.. Post back up with your thoughts for meeting spot, route etc... I have a scenic route in mind but, I am open....

:clapping:

We followed I-15, 76, up/down palomar, Mesa Grande, Santa ysabel, Old Julian, Highland Valley Parkway last weekend and the wildflowers were rampant. Never seen it like that. All different kinds and colors, not just masses of the same flowers.

I-78 between Escondido and Ramona was closed all weekend so HVP was crazy busy. We followed a 40' semi trailer through those REALLY tight curves (the 5mph curves) and it was amazing. His tires went through some 6' deep trenches as he pulled the trailer through absurdly tight corners. For the most part, he was moving faster than many cars do on that road.

We followed I-15, 76, up/down palomar, Mesa Grande, Santa ysabel, Old Julian, Highland Valley Parkway last weekend and the wildflowers were rampant. Never seen it like that. All different kinds and colors, not just masses of the same flowers.
I-78 between Escondido and Ramona was closed all weekend so HVP was crazy busy. We followed a 40' semi trailer through those REALLY tight curves (the 5mph curves) and it was amazing. His tires went through some 6' deep trenches as he pulled the trailer through absurdly tight corners. For the most part, he was moving faster than many cars do on that road.

Wow beautiful route.... Old Julian is my favorite rd. Pre burn but it is still fun... Sounds like that guy could really drive, that is some definite skill.. I may some what duplicate that route, depending on where we meet. I would like to include Borrego Springs depending of course on the weather... :yahoo: Montezuma Valley rd. is my second favorite rd.

[SIZE=12pt]This all works for me. I've done those roads and many more throughout that area, many times.[/SIZE]

As far as the meeting place, if we are doing the Ramona thing, being a North Sider, the local meeting spot is the AM/PM station at the SE corner of Hwy 15 and Valley Parkway in Escondido – easy off, easy on. Nice run to Ramona.

We can designate several meeting spots. As we gather riders at one location, that group then advances to the next spot to pick up additional riders. This way no one has to double back to their closest meeting spot. Pick the final meeting spot based on the ride direction.

I’d be glad to lead the group out of the AM/PM station in Escondido to the next meeting spot.

[SIZE=12pt]This all works for me. I've done those roads and many more throughout that area, many times.[/SIZE]
As far as the meeting place, if we are doing the Ramona thing, being a North Sider, the local meeting spot is the AM/PM station at the SE corner of Hwy 15 and Valley Parkway in Escondido – easy off, easy on. Nice run to Ramona.

We can designate several meeting spots. As we gather riders at one location, that group then advances to the next spot to pick up additional riders. This way no one has to double back to their closest meeting spot. Pick the final meeting spot based on the ride direction.

I’d be glad to lead the group out of the AM/PM station in Escondido to the next meeting spot.

That works for Me and I planed on running Highland Valley rd. So We could meet at the top of Highland Valley rd the west end by the 15 fwy.. at about 9:00 am let me know how that time works or we could make it 9:30 am????

The route I am thinking is Highland Valley rd. to the 67/78 east through Ramona to 3rd st. to Old Julian Hwy. Old Julian back on to the 78 to Santa Ysabel, Rest at the gas station in Santa Y. Then on up the the 78 In to Julian through Julian down Banner grade, out through the desert and in to Borrego Springs. Lunch at carlees in Borrego Springs, then back out Montezuma Valley rd. I love that road!!!!! Cut over to the 79 west to the 76 west and up I think it is called the S7 on Palomar or as we call it the fast side... To the top and stop at Mothers to hydrate and B.S. From there people can break off and go there own way... Provided you know your way out. I figure most everyone does and being North County folk, You can go down the tight side the s6 very slowly and carefuly for those of you unfamiliar with the road, it will bight you. Then make a right at the bottom or more so continue straight heading west to the 15 fwy.... Let me know your thoughts on the route!!!!!

Dave

Any of those routes work for me. Its been years since I've torn up the back roads of SD on a bike, but I still remember all of those routes.

As another possibility, we could head even further north (Idlewild maybe, but there are plenty of other options...?) and then we could meet up for lunch with folks coming down from the northern territories.

FYI, this would be my first official "group ride". I'm assuming that group-ride-noobies are welcome.

(edited for mispellings)

Any of those routes work for me. Its been years since I've torn up the back roads of SD on a bike, but I still remember all of those routes.
As another possibility, we could head even further north (Idlewild maybe, but there are plenty of other options...?) and then we could meet up for lunch with folks coming down from the northern territories.

FYI, this would be my first official "group ride". I'm assuming that group-ride-noobies are welcome.

(edited for mispellings)

Idyllwild might work??? Lets see what everyone thinks. I like a little more of a twisty route but, my Fiance prefers more of a umm less twisty route..lol So that might work. :blink: So come on everyone post back up your route preference.

Idylwild works. Big Bear for lunch also works - about 250mi round trip. Idylwild to I-10 is one of my favorite all time roads.

Since it is our first ride, maybe we should keep it short. For all I know, you guys are a bunch of psychos and I might want to bug out early.

Idylwild works. Big Bear for lunch also works - about 250mi round trip. Idylwild to I-10 is one of my favorite all time roads.
Since it is our first ride, maybe we should keep it short. For all I know, you guys are a bunch of psychos and I might want to bug out early.
How did you know????? But don't be scared it will be ok!!!!! :blink:

Ya I say keep it somewhat short the first ride, I will be two up and my Lady gets a little ansi after a while on the back.....

I'd like to go, and can make in on the 24th. The SO wants to go, too, and she's a little scared of bikes, so I don't wanna get into a situation that will make her leery of riding. Something a bit more relaxed would work great for us.

Also, Sunday is a homework day for me, so a really long ride wouldn't work.

Ya I say keep it somewhat short the first ride, I will be two up and my Lady gets a little ansi after a while on the back.....
Here in NorCal we try to take breaks every hour or so, just so the pillions can stretch...and have a little social time together. This keeps everyone happy: "When momma's happy, everybody is happy!" We also try to plan a lunch stop along the way so the ladies can actually sit and eat (more socializing for them and us). When the pillions are looking forward to the next ride with the group...its a good thing!

AND...good for you guys for finally getting the San Diego area riders together. :clapping:

That works for Me and I planed on running Highland Valley rd. So We could meet at the top of Highland Valley rd the west end by the 15 fwy.. at about 9:00 am let me know how that time works or we could make it 9:30 am????

The route I am thinking is Highland Valley rd. to the 67/78 east through Ramona to 3rd st. to Old Julian Hwy. Old Julian back on to the 78 to Santa Ysabel, Rest at the gas station in Santa Y. Then on up the the 78 In to Julian through Julian down Banner grade, out through the desert and in to Borrego Springs. Lunch at carlees in Borrego Springs, then back out Montezuma Valley rd. I love that road!!!!! Cut over to the 79 west to the 76 west and up I think it is called the S7 on Palomar or as we call it the fast side... To the top and stop at Mothers to hydrate and B.S. From there people can break off and go there own way... Provided you know your way out. I figure most everyone does and being North County folk, You can go down the tight side the s6 very slowly and carefuly for those of you unfamiliar with the road, it will bight you. Then make a right at the bottom or more so continue straight heading west to the 15 fwy.... Let me know your thoughts on the route!!!!!

Dave
Drool

I will be down that way tomorrow night visiting with my Bro, And then heading back to Missouri EXACTLY the way you posted! I was born and raised in Escondido, And NEVER had a bike!

My bro lives in Clairmont, And will be working tuesday, If anyone wants to hit some good roads tuesday, Let me know!

Adam