SE Ohio Ramble - 2-4 May 2014

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What the hell...the more, the merrier. Like Mark said it has always been a great time...one of the weekends that I really look forward to each year.

Maybe we can get Tom (Tstaff) to join us this year...ain't seen him since he got the Duc.

Last edited by a moderator:
What the hell...the more, the merrier. Like Mark said it has always been a great time...one of the weekends that I really look forward to each year.
Maybe we can get Tom (Tstaff) to join us this year...ain't seen him since he got the Duc.
Yeah, get Tom to come down and visit in the parking lot...

...I doubt I would see him long when he's on that Ducati.

Yeah, get Tom to come down and visit in the parking lot...

...I doubt I would see him long when he's on that Ducati.
PM'd him...we'll see what comes of it... it would be great to see him again.

Just put in my vacation for this event. Should be fun!
Are you taking Thursday and Friday off? What are your plans for the ride out?
Yes Bob... Thursday & Friday for the ride out. I was hoping to be catching up with you & Jay... although Jay has not commited to a 2 day ride out. He talked about heading directly out Rte 50 & being there before nightfall on Friday. I don't plan to do that. I'm up for a fun ride in like last year. The ride home was fun, too.

Just put in my vacation for this event. Should be fun!
Are you taking Thursday and Friday off? What are your plans for the ride out?
Yes Bob... Thursday & Friday for the ride out. I was hoping to be catching up with you & Jay... although Jay has not commited to a 2 day ride out. He talked about heading directly out Rte 50 & being there before nightfall on Friday. I don't plan to do that. I'm up for a fun ride in like last year. The ride home was fun, too.
Sounds good. I may just work half day thursday to conserve time off. I was just looking at the route we took last year. I know where that turn is for Spruce Run now, so if we decide to go that way again I will have it routed. We just have to be aware of cows! I did the run out 50 for the first ramble I attended. Much prefer being able to enjoy the ride with a little more time, but that is a faster alternantive that isn't super-slab. Were you thinking Elkins for Thursday night again?

Elkins for Thursday night was a good spot to stop. Comfortable distance for each day. Really? Work on Thursday? I say ef that! I'm leaving out of here in the morn.

& hotel was pretty damn nice. Especially the pool. Have you mentioned this trip to your bro (aka beemerbro)?

& hotel was pretty damn nice. Especially the pool. Have you mentioned this trip to your bro (aka beemerbro)?
Last year's Ramble was not a good time for him at all...partly do to altitude sickness.
rolleyes.gif

Last year's Ramble was not a good time for him at all...partly do to altitude sickness.
rolleyes.gif
Just think if he had gotten a "Hillbilly hot dog"! I have mentioned it to him, but he hasn't responded. Heidi - Elkins is good for me. If I leave here at 11 I can be in Elkins by 5 and that would going a fun way.

The Days Inn is a trip. It's an old hospital that they converted into a hotel, except it still feel like an old hospital. Still, it was cheap and we didn't see any poltergeists there! I did have to teach the girl at the mar how to make a martini, which was a little strange.

A better one in Elkins is the Holiday Inn Express. More money (closer to $100/room) Fairly new and a nice big pool and jacuzzi. Elkins is smack dab on the middle of some of the best riding routes in WV. There used to be a good tavern / pub a few blocks east from the hotel, definitely within walking distance, though. I cannot remember the name of it and don't see it on a quick google.

Never been to one of these. This sounds like a good time riding in an area that I've wanted to check out..

In case I can't get off Friday, what time is "kickstands up" on Saturday morning? Is there an itinerary for the weekend?

Never been to one of these. This sounds like a good time riding in an area that I've wanted to check out..
In case I can't get off Friday, what time is "kickstands up" on Saturday morning? Is there an itinerary for the weekend?
This one is pretty casual from what I can tell. Just make sure your out and about ready to go before 9:00 the latest. Some leave much earlier some later. Best to ask if you can just tag along with some folks who suit your riding style. The gammet will range from speed demons to picture takers.

Good luck,

Dave

Steve,

No big deal if you can't get off work Friday...Marietta is only a 2.5 hrs slab ride down 77. I would try and make it down for the Friday evening parking lot socializing, so that you can talk with some folks, and to see who you'd like to ride with. Like Dave said, this is a pretty casual event. Kickstands up is generally around 8:00 a.m....unless your doing the SEO 500...I think Wayne and his group will be leaving around 5:30 a.m.

Come on down, and have a great time

Joe

The Days Inn is a trip. It's an old hospital that they converted into a hotel, except it still feel like an old hospital. Still, it was cheap and we didn't see any poltergeists there! I did have to teach the girl at the mar how to make a martini, which was a little strange.
A better one in Elkins is the Holiday Inn Express. More money (closer to $100/room) Fairly new and a nice big pool and jacuzzi. Elkins is smack dab on the middle of some of the best riding routes in WV. There used to be a good tavern / pub a few blocks east from the hotel, definitely within walking distance, though. I cannot remember the name of it and don't see it on a quick google.
We stayed at the Holiday Inn last year. I got a suite for less than $100. We went to the retaurant in the old train station next door and I had to tell the waitress how to make a manhatten. Really not the same, because she wasn't a bartender.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn last year. I got a suite for less than $100. We went to the retaurant in the old train station next door and I had to tell the waitress how to make a manhatten. Really not the same, because she wasn't a bartender.
For some reason (that I can't quite "figure" out) there's a few bartenders that I just don't mind telling 'em how to pour my dwink!

553421.jpg