SE Ohio Ramble - 2-4 May 2014

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can the routes from the previous year(s) be located and re-used?
Iris,

I'm sure that there are some folks with the old GPS routes and you could use...all of the roads are great.

I'm not sure that we have run the same routes twice. Denny (drc32-0) the local route meister,

has come up with some GREAT routes in the past. I'm sure he/we will be doing some recon as

soon as the weather breaks.

Joe

No t-shirts? I quit. F the the maps, figure it out on your own...

Typically, we manage to put together two real nice loops, One for Saturday, one for Sunday, or whatever days you have to ride. East loop pretty much falls here: East of I-77, north and west of the river, south of I-70. The west loop will stay west of I-77, south of I-70, east of Columbus, and north of the WV/OH border. Last year's loops were about 280 - 350 miles each.

These routes will be suggestions. Ride which ever on which ever day.

As this gathering grows, the challenge will be keeping groups small enough and spaced out enough to be manageable on the road. Passing opportunities can be very limited, and keeping a large group together can be a challenge. Best plan is to keep groups of 3-4 bikes, launch 10 minutes apart (minimum), and ride your own ride.

You never know when you'll get stuck behind Wheaton and have to roll along in 1st gear because he won't pass some freaking '72 Chevy pickup dragging 2 wagons of grain down the road.

Because of that, I'm burning an extra day of vacation and will ride one route on the way down Thursday, the other on Friday, and something special on Saturday...

I think we had GPS files up for download about 2 weeks out last year. I'll get in touch with the route genious and see what we can come up with...

Fred - thanks. Marty and I have the routes from the past couple of years. I would suggest adding the year to the file name to avoid any confusion - was have tweaked the east and west loop each year, based on construction projects and other intel gather from local resources.

Good idea Wayne. Just changed the name and made a generic gpx (for non-Garmin users).

As an FYI... I've also slightly massaged those two routes from the originals to work better on Garmin Zumos and still be compatible with older GPSes. I moved each of the route shaping via points to a nearby minor intersection that the route goes straight through. Intersection points do not get shown or announced when running the route on later model GPSes (like Zumos). It is important to set the GPS recalculate mode to Off (or Prompt) and never let the route recalculate after the first time (during import) or the route will probably change.

On older Garmin GPSes (like Streetpilot series) or any GPS that uses the .gpx format route, all via point will both be seen and announced, so it is important to locate these at intersections that you will not be turning at, so the announcement does not conflict with actual turn directions.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's a GPS?????
It's that thing the guy you follow around uses to keep you on your intended route.
wink.png

By just for your curmudgeons that forsake all GPS use (and because it's relatively easy to do), here's an interactive Google Map of those same two routes to play with:

2013 SE Ohio East and West Google Map

Last edited by a moderator:
What's a GPS?????
It's that thing the guy you follow around uses to keep you on your intended route. ;)

By just for your curmudgeons that forsake all GPS use (and because it's relatively easy to do), here's an interactive Google Map of those same two routes to play with:

Oh.... it like a map, only not made of trees. Cool.

What's a GPS?????
It's that thing the guy you follow around uses to keep you on your intended route.
wink.png

Thanks Fred, helpful for viewing on our compukors.

T-MINUS 90 DAYS
Can somebody please straighten those routes out!!! Waaaaaaaay to many curves to attempt.

Dave

Can somebody please straighten those routes out!!! Waaaaaaaay to many curves to attempt.
Dave

Well, we could put together something special for you. No GPX / google foo needed. Just hand a right out of the hotel parking lot, but under the overpass, stay right onto the ramp, and follow the signs for Cleveland. Once you water, turn around and come back. Minimal curves, steady cruising speeds, etc.

rolleyes.gif

The east loop is excellent - I feel it's a little easier to ride at a spirited pace, there are fewer abrupt "surprises" in elevation and direction. There are sections of the west loop area that can be very challenging; sight lines become shorter due to abrupt elevation changes - like cresting a hill in a moderate left hander with a steep drop and direction change mid corner. Hit the crest carrying too much throttle and the front wheel stays in the air. That cool if the road is laid out straight ahead. But it won't be. By the time you get the front end back on the ground and a steering input made, you're in the other lane. Run OH 555 from top to bottom.

The eastern route one is the most boring, flat pieces of tarmac in all creation. It makes Saskatchewan look like the Nurburgring. You should stay away should you value your sanity.

Well, if you chop the throttle, yes, that is an accurate statement. I wonder how the electro-wizards on that '13 will handle that stuff? Float the front and let us know, mmmk?

oh, that would make a good sticker for SE Ohio sticker - "FTF"

By the time you get the front end back on the ground and a steering input made, you're in the other lane. Run OH 555 from top to bottom.
Word to the wise: FJR's land REALLY heavy. Don't ask how I know.

Definitely be wary approaching the top of hills...the one yer not paying attention to is the one with the sharp right hand turn on it.

You've been warned.

Oh, yeah, I forgot...Flat, straight, boring.

There are usually stops in the ride put there to wake you up...ho hum.