SHFT_26 AGAIN! - AS OF JULY 1, FJRHELL IS OVER!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's great news Shane!! Your FJRhell, has just become BMWheaven :clapping: Enjoy the new scoot......you deserve it. As I said before, you'll look back on this and laugh (while consuming a few cold ones of course). I hope you'll still lurk around here??

Take care,

Matt

I'm glad this is over for you. I hope you have better luck with your beamer (and your beamer dealer).

One final question: What is the VIN number of your old bike. It is now out there in the used bike market and it sure would be nice to "keep an eye out for it" so to speak. Just the last 7 digits should suffice.

In retrospect, had you bought a 2006A instead of an AE you would probably still be happily motoring along on an FJR. I betcha that new BMW has a clutch lever, eh?

Shene,

Congrats on the new bike. I'm sure you will be happy.

I have been following this thread since the bigining.. I too have suffered through dealing with an incompedent dealer and Yamaha. My '05 had the TICK problem repaired 2X. First at 15,000 and again at 24,000. Now with a new cyl. head it has been TICK free for 25,000. I have vowed never to go through it again. Being a mechanic by trade it is even harder still to have people try to blow smoke up my ass as to what a problem may be. Even though my bike still has a year left on the extended warr. I will take any future problem on myself and spare the aggrivation of gettin run around.

You have been a saint through this whole ordeal, and I commend you on your patience. Enjoy the new bike in good health and be safe out there.

Tim

Way to go MamaYama. I'm sure that the Germans appreciate all you've done regarding this.

People suck....

Corporations F*CKING SUCK!

Thank goodness for ya good sef, Shane...
Enjoy and please let us know the good time ya having with the Beemer

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

Dammit, old man!

Quit changin yer damn avatars so often! I get confoozled easy. :)

Thanks GUYS!

Let's all start talking about RIDING as this nightmare is now OVER!!

As far as the BMWer, I love it so far! It is a very different ride than the FJR!

Let's please close this thread for the archives!

Happy 4th!

Shane

Shane, good for you. As you may remember I have had similiar problems with my 06 AE. It has been mostly electrical ignition switches and a ground failure which was repaired immediately without any hassles from my dealer or anyone else. It is in good shape now. However, as I had the bike all prepared completely for the 09 IBR and the thought of maintenance failure in mind, I bough a backup bike, an 09 Suzuki DL 650 WeeStrom. Let me tell you the honest truth, I like it a whole lot, in some ways more than the AE. It gets great mileage will do 125 easily in 6th gear and is much more nimble in handling that the AE.

I wish you only the best with the Beemer and hope to run into you somelwhere soon. Impressed with your patience and tolerance.

VR

TurboDave

Shane, good for you. As you may remember I have had similiar problems with my 06 AE. It has been mostly electrical ignition switches and a ground failure which was repaired immediately without any hassles from my dealer or anyone else. It is in good shape now. However, as I had the bike all prepared completely for the 09 IBR and the thought of maintenance failure in mind, I bough a backup bike, an 09 Suzuki DL 650 WeeStrom. Let me tell you the honest truth, I like it a whole lot, in some ways more than the AE. It gets great mileage will do 125 easily in 6th gear and is much more nimble in handling that the AE. I wish you only the best with the Beemer and hope to run into you somelwhere soon. Impressed with your patience and tolerance.

VR

TurboDave
TD,

Thanks - and likewise!!

This FJR is a fine bike - if I hadn't of liked it, I would have just got rid of it months ago!

The 1300 GT is different in many positive ways (as the FJR is)! All I can say so far is I am really happy with my new bike and I hope to keep it for a long time and ride many, many problem free miles!!

Best regards,

Shane

Hi Shane

Congratulations on the trade in for the GT. I'm sure you will have many, MANY happy years on the new bike. You have a fine steed there. :good:

One question still remains...

What was wrong with the AE that caused all the grief?
What did Yamaha do to finally fix the shift_26 problem?

Those of us that have them, and are happy with them, would like to know what to look for to keep the gremlins at bay.

Thanks!

Brodie

:clapping: ps... Have a grand time in Germany with your very best friend!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank goodness for ya good sef, Shane...
Enjoy and please let us know the good time ya having with the Beemer

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

Dammit, old man!

Quit changin yer damn avatars so often! I get confoozled easy. :)
dammit Howie...if you'd keep taking your Aricept as prescribed, it wouldn't be a problem :rolleyes:

and I like your Pussy very much :blink:

av-426.jpg

:yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Shane
Congratulations on the trade in for the GT. I'm sure you will have many, MANY happy years on the new bike. You have a fine steed there. :good:

One question still remains...

What was wrong with the AE that caused all the grief?
What did Yamaha do to finally fix the shift_26 problem?

Those of us that have them, and are happy with them, would like to know what to look for to keep the gremlins at bay.

Thanks!

Brodie

:clapping: ps... Have a grand time in Germany with your very best friend!
Brodie,

First, thanks for the wishes with my family - really appreciated!

As far as the FJR, my understanding is Yamaha replaced the entire clutch actuator (?)??? I am not really sure... to be honest, I decided to apply "Yamaha" logic ... that is, if the bike started and ran without the code, it was FIXED... I applied that logic all the way to the BMW shop and it was SOUND :rolleyes: :rolleyes:!

I honestly can't tell you anything conclusive about my FJR other than I am glad I no longer own it and I will never own another Yamaha product!

Best regards,

Shane

Shane,

Congrats on your new acquisition. You've suffered long enough.

However, (isn't there always a "however"?) with the known, yet unacknowledged by BMW, rear drive issue in recent model years of Bimmer Bikes, how did you prepare yourself for the possibility of dealing with such a failure?

Shane,
Congrats on your new acquisition. You've suffered long enough.

However, (isn't there always a "however"?) with the known, yet unacknowledged by BMW, rear drive issue in recent model years of Bimmer Bikes, how did you prepare yourself for the possibility of dealing with such a failure?
RH,

Two things:

1) It is my understanding most of the failures have been 2007 and earlier models.

2) Most people I know who have had the failure have been back on the road within a week or so (if the parts are in). After waiting for Yamaha more than 6 months to "fix" my bike (and them claiming it has been fixed 6 or 7 times), one to two weeks if I am unlucky doesn't seem that bad.

I am looking forward and positive (if you look at my fortune for the past year, I am actually the luckiest guy on the planet though I would guess from reading this thread it would seem like I lost sight of it sometimes - MY BEST FRIEND HAS BEEN TREATED SUCCESSFULLY FOR BREAST CANCER AND I GET TO ANNOY HER FOR ANOTHER 50 YEARS :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:)!

After all, the judge told us when we got married as sophomores in college at the age of 17 (I) and 18 (her), he was sentencing us to 80 years! Only 53 to go!

Best regards,

Shane

I am looking forward and positive (if you look at my fortune for the past year, I am actually the luckiest guy on the planet though I would guess from reading this thread it would seem like I lost sight of it sometimes - MY BEST FRIEND HAS BEEN TREATED SUCCESSFULLY FOR BREAST CANCER AND I GET TO ANNOY HER FOR ANOTHER 50 YEARS :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:)!
After all, the judge told us when we got married as sophomores in college at the age of 17 (I) and 18 (her), he was sentencing us to 80 years! Only 53 to go!

Now you're talking!! Good luck to you and most especially, to your best friend.

Now you're talking!! Good luck to you and most especially, to your best friend.
yep ditto +1