SHFT_26 AGAIN! - AS OF JULY 1, FJRHELL IS OVER!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand your frustration. Yes, you can go to Small Claims court , send certified letters etc. However, I assume you want a reliable bike to ride that you can count on it working. I agree with letting them "fix it" and trading it in another bike. Life and the riding season is too short for these hassles.
Gunny that.

Well, I sent a couple of emails today to the janitor asking for an update and got no word... I guess he could have had a day off.

I guess I will send another email tonight and if I don't get a response, start the PITA calling routine again tomorrow (like I and they don't have better things to-do).

It is so hard to believe that some one at Yamaha can't just pick up the phone and make all of this better.

I am guessing the powers to be at Yamaha have never owned their own business.....!

Oh well, it looks like I will be ranting (and bitching) for a while longer than I had hoped!

Thanks again for all the support!

Best Regards,

Shane

I understand your frustration. Yes, you can go to Small Claims court , send certified letters etc. However, I assume you want a reliable bike to ride that you can count on it working. I agree with letting them "fix it" and trading it in another bike. Life and the riding season is too short for these hassles.
Amen to that!

At this point, if Yamaha just gives me the bike back with

1) Out the SHFT__26 problem

2) The plastic replaced that the current dealer's towing messed up (one of the straps rubbed to hard against the bike)

I will promise to NEVER bother them again!

Best Regards,

Shane

Rant away my friend!
This is a terrible situation and is making me really wonder if I want the 09 I'm supposed to pick up Saturday... I like the bike, but I'm not sure I want to worry IF I should have a problem if Mamma Yamma is going to put me through hell (Or try to)
Mcgyver,

Shane is clearly in a wild tailspin here with his ordeal. But nobody here knows the full story, only what we are hearing from him. That's not to say that what he has reported is not true (form his perspective). Just that we do not know all of the little details and sometimes they are significant.

Also, while there are some stories of technician incompetence at dealerships here and there (of all brands, FWIW), nobody else seems to have the big problem with corporate Yamaha like what Shane is reporting. In fact, quite to the contrary, most folks that have had direct dealings with Yamaha USA have reported positive responses and customer support.

I would never base a major buying decision based on a single feedback report (either positive or negative). Considering the number of other FJR riders on this forum, and the great deal of positive feedback encountered regarding these bikes, I think it's a pretty safe bet that you will be OK with your new bike.

Sadly bad dealer techs seem to be the norm with the good tech being the exception, and this is indeed across all brands, I had massive problems with a few kawi dealers techs (leaving bolts loose on my connie, saying they did stuff when they didn't etc, (they were sorry they did that LOL) as well as a Honda dealer stripping my drain bolt on a routine oil change.

I understand that Shane's experience is the extreme end of the spectrum. Just nervous jitters of someone about to drop 13k on a bike :)

I do plan on getting the YES plan (From D&H) so if i have problems at my dealer I'm sure I can take it to others

Rant away my friend!
This is a terrible situation and is making me really wonder if I want the 09 I'm supposed to pick up Saturday... I like the bike, but I'm not sure I want to worry IF I should have a problem if Mamma Yamma is going to put me through hell (Or try to)
Mcgyver,

Shane is clearly in a wild tailspin here with his ordeal. But nobody here knows the full story, only what we are hearing from him. That's not to say that what he has reported is not true (form his perspective). Just that we do not know all of the little details and sometimes they are significant.

Also, while there are some stories of technician incompetence at dealerships here and there (of all brands, FWIW), nobody else seems to have the big problem with corporate Yamaha like what Shane is reporting. In fact, quite to the contrary, most folks that have had direct dealings with Yamaha USA have reported positive responses and customer support.

I would never base a major buying decision based on a single feedback report (either positive or negative). Considering the number of other FJR riders on this forum, and the great deal of positive feedback encountered regarding these bikes, I think it's a pretty safe bet that you will be OK with your new bike.
Fred,

I have tried to say that. My situation does seem to be UNIQUE. Unfortunately, I don't know how to resolve it.

Everyone tells me to give them a chance. How many chances do I need to give them?

As I have said, when I am calm about the matter, I do believe the people involved want the situation fixed as much as I did.

The problem is that it has taken so long and gotten out of control.

I have tried to be as honest and accurate as I can. I honestly just wanted my bike fixed so I could get on with my life.

I would gladly have someone from Yamaha come on and refute anything I have said.

Best Regards,

Shane

No use waiting for Yamaha Shane, they aren't going to do the right thing.

Make sure your insurance is paid up and go for a ride in the desert and have a "crash" and your bike may catch fire and burn up, just make sure you got some matches with you.

Then avoid all Yamaha products in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you insurance is paid up and go for a ride in the desert and have a "crash" and you bike may catch fire and burn up, just make sure you got some matches with you.

Shadow,

Thanks for the support!

I know my case is almost UNIQUE ... there are a few others on the board who have 2006s that are or have had on-going problems but I believe most of them have been resolved (Heck, I thought my case was solved on March 13 and then again on June 2).

The problem I have is that I don't know how much more patient I should have been! I purchased my bike from an authorized Yamaha dealer ... all scheduled maintenance up to 40,000 miles was performed by an authorized dealer. All of my electrical farkles were on the bike as of Labor Day 2006 - the Audiovox cruise control was installed by the forum famous "Smitty" and I never had a problem with it (it worked flawlessly up until I experienced the ignition failure on December 17, 2008). The other electrical farkles were directly connected to the battery (installed by a very competent mechanic friend).

At this point, both Yamaha and I have drawn our positions and neither side is willing to move. I know the customer service representative who has been "handling" my case for the last 6 months doesn't want anything to do with it anymore as I am sure the current dealer doesn't want to do with it. The part that still REALLY bothers me is that no one has told me what I could have done differently to resolve this issue. When I tried being very polite, nothing changed. When I asked for a supervisor or manager to call me, it never happened (well not completely true: a supervisor talked with me at lunch one day and told me he was going to help me get it resolved. He called me back 4 hours later and sounded like the same person I had been working with and I haven't heard from him since). When I started yelling and screaming, nothing changed. In my business, I treat every reasonable customer with great care. I don't believe the customer is always right ... a reasonable customer is though.

I will admit that I am guilty of getting overzealous with my problem the longer and longer it has taken (the best way I can summarize what I mean is what my wife Sandi has been telling me: "The hobby you have (motorcycling) for relaxation shouldn't be the thing that is stressing you out").

The bottom line is that I finally got to experience of being the "unfortunate one" - While I will admit I don't like it, it is very unusual from most FJR owner's experiences (of course it will be interesting to see how many more 2006 / 2007 AEs do as time goes one).

Oh well... I find myself babbling on and on about this because I just want it to END! If I get my bike back next week as planned, my mechanic friend has already told me he will drop what he is doing and help me restore the bike to "stock". And I will be on a "new" bike hunt!

Oh well, I need to finish fixing bugs for a new version of the software I just released to clients !

Best Regards,

Shane

P.S. This will be my last post on this thread until I either get my bike back with a link to all the items for sale or get ready to leave for Europe and I still have no bike.

Shane,

Haven't they replaced most everything EXCEPT the wiring harness that could be related to this problem? The computer, etc. Have you priced that yourself, or asked if they would do that? They aren't going to sign any contract guaranteeing they'll pay towing or travel expenses if the bike ever breaks, they just aren't going to do that. I don't think any corporation would. But if you could get them to either just replace the harnes at cost, or free, or 1/2 price, or whatever. You could have a bike that works. FJR's are complicated motorcycles, but there IS only a finite set of parts. There could be one bad plug or short somewhere in the middle of that harness.

I know you're irritated with this, but most people don't have this problem with Yamaha. Step back, look at what parts are left to be replaced, work out a deal to replace them and keep your bike that you know is unmatched on the market.

The bike's a 2006 out of warrantee, I don't care how much my 2001 Chevy breaks down and leaves me stranded, Chevrolet is not picking up any tab, nor are they going to be terribly concerned with fixing it. Heck, find the parts on ebay from a crashed one and rebuild it yourself and dont' give Yamaha another dime if you want, but it's a good bike, you can make it work for you.

The above is only intended to give you another perspective, maybe another way to look at it. Yamaha is a corporation that exists to make money, like every other corporation. Sometimes they do what you think is right and sometimes they don't, but they are pretty much ALWAYS doing what they think is the best financial move for them. Whether that's a long term or short term benefit for them, that's why they do what they do, they really only exist to make a profit.

I'm happy things are going so well for your wife, those are the things that are truly important.

Good luck, not get that Yamaha(or a different Yamaha FJR) running and start riding!

Rant away my friend!
Mcgyver,

Fred,

I have tried to say that. My situation does seem to be UNIQUE. Unfortunately, I don't know how to resolve it.

Everyone tells me to give them a chance. How many chances do I need to give them?

As I have said, when I am calm about the matter, I do believe the people involved want the situation fixed as much as I did.

The problem is that it has taken so long and gotten out of control.

I have tried to be as honest and accurate as I can. I honestly just wanted my bike fixed so I could get on with my life.

I would gladly have someone from Yamaha come on and refute anything I have said.

Best Regards,

Shane

Dave,

They have replaced (this list may not be complete because they replaced a few things before I got it back in March and they were still having issues):

1) They replaced the YCCS computer last August.

2) They replaced ignition switch.

3) They replaced ECU in Jan/Feb 2009

4) They replaced several relays (?)

5) The technician at the current dealer (seems very capable) looked over the entire wiring harness and found NO problems.

6) Now they are replacing major parts of the clutch (not really sure what parts ... I just know the last thing they replaced is supposively an $1,800 part).

As far as warranty, my bike is covered under a YES contract until June 2011. My problems have been documented at the dealer since January 2008 when the bike was only 18 months old.

I agree under normal circumstances it would be very unreasonable of me to expect Yamaha to guarantee a repair where they assume responsibility to get me / bike home. The problem I have is that my problem has been declared "fixed" several times and it has left me stranded and footing the bill. I wasn't looking for them to guarantee it for life.... if they had negotiated with me, I would have been happy with 12 months / 12,000 miles if the same problem that has been fixed breaks again when I am far away from home.

I have no idea what is "reasonable" in my situation anymore. But since I have picked up the bike 5 times since December 17 just to have to return it shortly, it is hard for me to swallow "we know when can fix it - but we aren't going to assume liability to get you / bike home if it isn't fixed).

Maybe I am being unreasonable ... I have NEVER been in this position in over 25 years of owning all kinds of vehicles (mostly sports cars). This case is unique I guess to both Yamaha and I.

I wish I could take the bike to an independent shop or person and have them give the bike a good going over. The problem as explained to me is that it is very difficult for even the most capable technicians to diagnose random electrical problems because of lack of documentation from the manufacturers. Maybe I could drop Fred Harmon an email and see if he would be willing to look it over for me (I know he loves a challenge and is very capable)!

If I thought I could spend some $$$ and solve the problem, I would do it.

Oh well, I guess I posted again!

Best regards,

Shane

Make sure your insurance is paid up and go for a ride in the desert and have a "crash" and your bike may catch fire and burn up, just make sure you got some matches with you.

Is that how they solve these sort of problems "down under"?

Defraud the (innocent) insurance company and all is right? :rolleyes:

[edit] I know you were just kidding, Shadow. ;)

My '06 is not an AE but I too have extended warranties until 2011 . . . if my machine was unrepairable I would start by asking Yamaha to step up and replace the thing. It isn't as if they have any options. Legally they MUST be able to repair and make the machine road-worthy for at least 10 years (assuming you haven't crashed the thing). And since you have YES, they get to pay the price.

IMO the replacement doesn't necessarily have to be a new bike - a used one with less mileage, new tires and Yamaha backing it with a few years of warranty coverage ought to do it. As long as it is reliable. If you want to back down to an 'A' model, then they can add in a payment of the difference in price between the two models based on what you paid for the machine back in 2006.

After all, this has already probably cost them close to the price of a new bike and it is still not repaired.

As it is under warranty, they have the obligation to repair it - and if they can't, and if they won't make good with a replacement and if the machine has not been abused I just wonder what a judge would say if you took them to court over this?

I saw your comment about timeliness - but as with all things contractual, it is a question of reasonability. And this is not reasonable.

They have had several kicks at the can and they have TRIED, but they have FAILED to remedy the situation in spite of having been given several opportunities to do so. They have even tried pointing fingers at your accessories, causing you anguish. The reality, of course was that the accessories were not the problem, so that was simply a failed attempt to deflect the blame in your direction, further proof that they can't repair your machine.

You are out money (which they haven't offered to reimburse you for - yes, they had no obligation to reimburse you, but they SHOULD have, because of the inconvenience you have suffered as the result of their inability to diagnose and repair the vevhile they designed and sold you.

Toss in a paragraph about safety for good measure.

So it is clear that they cannot fix the machine and make it reliable - let them prove that they can.

I'm not suggesting that you threaten them, but ensure that you have an official letter on file documenting the amount of time and the list of parts that Yamaha has invested in your machine and point out that the problem appears to be beyond their ability to repair. Also that you have been more than patient while they were trying to point fingers at your accessories (which, of course cost you money to re-injstall after they were proved wrong). and so on.

Make it a nice one and then make the suggestion that if they can't get it properly repaired within . . . say 2 more weeks, that you expect them to step up and replace the machine in it's entirety.

The letter must be sent registered/certified or whatever they call it in the 'states - and it should be addressed to the executive in charge of either the bike division or of service and support for the division - NOT a telerep or the regional rep. Slip a copy to the servicing dealer about a week or so after you send off the original.

You might also want to point out the amount of accumulated down time during which your bike has been depreciating, while you have not been able to ride it - and mention that even if they did fix it, you have been emotionally scarred by the experience and will never be able to trust the machine for it's designed purpose, long distance touring.

I wouldn't say I was getting rid of it, but you've posted it here in public for all to read. However that can be a plus (see, I was so upset that I had to get rid of it) or a minus (I was getting rid of it anyway) for your case. However no matter what, if you sell it the next owner will simply sue you (for hiding the issues) or reduce the price you'll get for the machine (for disclosing the problems) and Yamaha will STILL have to repair or replace it.

A full refund of the original purchase price would probably be nice, but I'm reasonably certain they wouldn;t go for it. You can always try.

Replacement is not unheard of - my friend took delivery of a C14 this year to replace the one he bought last year (he preferred the black over the silver and it matches his Harley and his Ninja ZX14 . . . strangely his Corvette is Red). It had a funny noise from inside the cases and even tough he'd ridden it about a thousand miles he refused to let them open the engine - they were to either replace it or replace the bike and guess what? Kawasaki Canada now has a C14 in ther demo fleet. One that had the cases split and whatever was wrong repaired.

In his case, however the dealer sided with him and went to bat for the cause. You have 'different issues'.

Good luck.

I can understand the frustration as my $7k commercial ZTR tractor is in the shop with only 24 hrs on the clock.

The dlrs had it for 3 weeks and only tried the 1st level of repair. If it doesnt work on Monday, they start with the next item to replace and go from there. At this rate, it could be months before they get to it and then there is always that uneasy feeling that yours might be amaged goods.

Good luck in finding out the root cause on this one.

I thank all of you who have replied whether you think I have been reasonable or not.

Sandi told me last night: NO MORE (on the FJR).

The bike will be traded-in as soon as I have an opportunity.

Best Regards,

Shane

I thank all of you who have replied whether you think I have been reasonable or not.
Sandi told me last night: NO MORE (on the FJR).

The bike will be traded-in as soon as I have an opportunity.

Best Regards,

Shane
Good luck to you Shane. I know everyone on FJRforum would like to see this fixed for you, or even see you and Sandi get a Connie, Goldwing, ST1300, whatever and move on and enjoy the ride. I apologize for keeping this going in our PM's and on here, when I know you want to move on. Seems the state would help you, if a warranty is not being honored, regardless of age.

Why don't you put together

1) a little spreadsheet of timelines, costs, (including bike and YES cost). Concise and to the point, one page.

2) A short/sample/generic letter that could be modified and sent on your behalf, from those of us concerned about this problem. One Page.

3) In that letter, include names, phone numbers, addresses of those that have or are working on your bike, current dealer, and your contact info or bikes VIN or some info to connect it back to you and the bike.

4) One page with a list of a few Yamaha USA addresses, names, positions, email address of those that might take action on this. Include the person you bought this warranty from. Include links to appropriate websites. i'd include someone in some govt capacity, state attorney general, whoever. Lots of complaints on the web about warranties not being honored.

5) Post it to this and every Yamaha/Sport touring site/forum you can find with a link to this thread, requesting anyone with interest to print and mail the items to the included addresses. Or build a webpage with this information on it. Heck, I'll host and build a page or two on of of my private sites that you can store this story, those documents and link to if you want. Post everything suggested above, and the story/links of the saga on one page. Then go post your story everywhere and link back to it.

Post the same story and information on consumeraffairs.com, ripoffreport.com.

I would do the above, then do exactly as you plan to do, move on and let all this work out. Start looking at other bikes that you can enjoy. If possible, go ahead and get one and ride it, while the FJR saga works out. For all you know, given a little time and pressure, you might get something you want out of this.

Why not just go buy a cheap, used, old style Connie(or Goldwing or whatever) to ride while you're waiting, it would be reliable and fun, then sell it when this is finished. Buy right and you can sell with no loss. And it would take the 'stress' of this situation off.

Hell, I'd get a new model Connie, do the little 'go fast' mods on it, and put a 'FJREater' licence plate on it. Then you can smile every time you walk out and get on it. Even those of here would understand that.

If you did that you could be more in the drivers seat to wait, be a thorn in their side, apply pressure and try to get others to help you apply pressure, and in the end, win this battle. At whatever point Yamaha or the dealer, decide that they are better off resolving this to your satisfaction, they will do that. Let the dealer know he has your bike until it is fixed, and if it breaks, it is coming back to HIM.

Time to stop stressing about this, and hating it, and start enjoying the process. Turn it into a game of David vs Goliath, a drag race at a stoplight or a little friendly competion in the twisties, Bring it on Yamaha, I'll make you guys spend so many hours on my bike you'll WANT me to accept a new one.

Good luck to you guy.

Dave,

Thanks. As I mentioned privately, I never thought it would come to this.

[Rant On]

All I ever wanted / expected was for Yamaha to fix my bike so I could have faith in riding it. Losing power twice while moving and being stranded several times with SHFT__26 code followed by Yamaha's "business-as-usual" approach in solving this has taken it's toll.

Sandi has TOLD me in very few words: ENOUGH / NO MORE. After what she has been through this past year, I really have to stop my battle with Yamaha over this in hopes they will help me beyond "give us one more chance". If someone in management at Yamaha would have just taken a few minutes to call me, I believe we could have worked this out to where both parties were content.

I never expected Yamaha to buy my bike back for what I paid or give me a new bike with no out of pocket $$$$ from me. I just wanted them to fix my bike. I drank the koolaid in March when they told me that they were quite sure that the Audiovox cruise control was my problem (I had argued with them up till I got my bike back that I didn't believe it, but...). I then went out and spent another $680 on a McCruise which from my understanding in no-way interferes with the bike's ECU / electrical systems. I really just wanted my bike like it was before all this started. Well, the fact that the SHFT__26 came back so soon and the fact that my bike has been at another dealership for every day since May 5 (other than 12 hours I had her home in early June before she had to be picked up again for the SHFT__26 code). So the simple fact is that I spent another $680 + $247.50 towing since I got it back and the problem still EXISTS!

Cassie (daughter) and I planned a trip to Germany this summer to surprise Sandi (she was)! Cassie has already told me to please not ruin the trip with the FJR - I really have allowed this to take over a lot of my personal time. It has gotten so bad that I can't even be civil with the Yamaha Customer Service Representative because I am so tired of the same old lines, lack of answers, and my requests (pleas) for someone from Yamaha who could help bring this to closure have gone unanswered.

I have made so many replacement bike lists and it seems I keep narrowing the list down to 2 or 3 bikes and the one that is ALWAYS in consideration is the GL1800. So if Yamaha can just give me my bike back "fixed" this week, I am going to try and see if I can trade-it in before I go on vacation!

Anyone want to buy a 2006 FJR 1300 AE with ~41,000 miles on her :rolleyes: :rolleyes:?

[/Rant On]

Best Regards,

Shane

Anyone want to buy a 2006 FJR 1300 AE with ~41,000 miles on her :rolleyes: :rolleyes:?
I'm interested.....unless it's one of those POS AE models!

:ph34r: :assassin: :ph34r:
I guess that means you will be cutting me a check - it can't be a POS because Yamaha will say this week it is "fixed" :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :glare: !

Best Regards,

Shane

Shane:

That your strategy is much what I would do. The new bike would qualify for the incentive program, interest even if financed is very low and the headache and worry go away. If you figure the time to write letters, call etc in dollars I am sure it would be a lot. if a letter comes into many companies it goes directly to legal if liability, cost and safely are mentioned. They start to lawyer up even at dealerships. That is why I would just be done with it.