Signup For E. KY Ride April 11-14th

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are going to be so close, I just can't miss it!

Looks like 83 and 460. Very Western VA.

clicky

Last edited by a moderator:
Just looked at the Google map. I've never ridden that part of VA. Interesting thing is... 460 runs all the way here, on the coast side of the state.

*UPDATE*

Here are the final routes and destinations for the trip. Which is being renamed to,

"The Kentucky and a Little Bit of Virginia State Parks Ride Tour to Happiness"

or for short, TKALBOVSPRTH.

Friday April 11th Everyone get to Natural Bridge State Park whenever you can. We will be there by miday, 12-1.

I am going to the skylift to the top of Natural bridge, then through Nada Tunnel, and around the Trail Loop. This will not be many miles, and mostly for sight-seeing/pictures. This area is amazing, and I encourage everyone to get there for this.

Sat. April 12th

to pine mountain state park.

Points E and J are where we will be staying, Pine Mountain State Park.

Notice that we loop back to the park, there is a lot of options for those who don't want to ride quite as long. You could skip the GHIJ loop. You could even just shoot up 119 to F then come back. That is a great road, and we will do 421 again the next day.

Sun. April 13th

To Breaks Interstate Park

First we will stop at "C" which is Pinnicale Overlook on Skyland Road. We will then ride out to Kingdome Come State Park, where we will stop for lunch and some sightseeing again.

Once we get to breaks interstate park, those who want to ride more I highly encourage going into VA on the roads around there. That is some legendary riding.

I'm giddy as a little German school-girl!!!!

Earlier this week, I drove some of these roads for work, and cannot wait to ride them. Switchback mountain passes and river river roads will keep us entertained. Waterfalls, Nature Preserves, and scenic mountaintop overlooks will make for great pictures.

This ride will be awesome :thumbsupsmileyanim: TKALBOVSPRTH 08!

If you have been considering this ride, now is the time to start planning. Pine Mountain and Breaks insterstate parks are requiring us to pay for the rooms ahead of time. Our deadline for payment is January 30th. (It is still refundable all the way until 7 days prior to the reservation).

I am going to book 2 extra rooms so there will only be 4 slots available after January 30th.

I also need a roomate, let me know as I have already paid for my rooms.

So far it is

1. KeithABA

2. Quicksilver and S.O.

3. Jagermeister and S.O.

4. Borrec

5. Luvtoride

6. IndianaTom and possibly S.O.

If your not sure you can go, but want to, book your rooms now. You can always cancel later, but once the rooms are gone, they are gone.

Just as a note, the only reason we got rooms at Natural Bridge was because a group cancelled and they called me. The lodge is booked solid for APR-MAY.

I'm in on this ride... provided that my boss will give me the Friday & Monday off needed. I see that as being no problem, though.

So Keith, please PM me your paypal info. One paycheck b4 the 31st & part of it goes to you! Aren't you happy?!?!?!

Ya' know, I cannot wait until April. This is gonna' be a good one,

Heidi

We won't be staying at Red River Gorge, but plan to be there before you pull out Saturday morning.

What time do the kickstands go up? I'd like to get there a solid 1/2 hour before that.

Is breakfast before or after you pull out of Red River Gorge? (I'm guessing before)

Pine Mountain is reserved. :)

Break Park reserved. :)

We won't be staying at Red River Gorge, but plan to be there before you pull out Saturday morning.What time do the kickstands go up? I'd like to get there a solid 1/2 hour before that.

Is breakfast before or after you pull out of Red River Gorge? (I'm guessing before)

Pine Mountain is reserved. :)

Break Park won't answer the 800 number. Finally called the 276 # and got a recording to call back after MLK day.

Evidently everyone took Friday afternoon before the entire 3 day weekend. <_<

Must be a hotel run by government emplyees. :rolleyes:
Kickstands up Saturday morning depends on how fun Friday night was :drinks: :lazy: Actually, I think Keith plans to rally our lazy asses at daybreak.

You're spot-on; these state park employees are typical gov't workers. Oh well, the properties are relatively nice, and the scenery is beautiful.

Is Ms. Quicksilver still in?

The wife and I are kicking this one around. She will not ride the FJR with me, so we would have to ride our Gold Wing. Is this a FJR specific ride? I would most likely have to pull my Bushtec trailer also, and from the looks of the routes, I could not leave it at the room, but would have to pull it the whole way. Not a problem for me, but I don't want to ruin the ride for anyone. Let me know what everyone thinks.

Is Ms. Quicksilver still in?
Yep, that's the plan at the moment.

Well D., not sure I'd vote up or down. If you were a nub, I warn ya off.

But, your not, you know exactly what the deal is.

So, I'll vote; you make the call.

This crowd all knows the deal.

Typically, everybody rides their own ride in the fun stuff and sights their wingman's headlight in the long straights before charging ahead. Regroup at direction changes.

No doubt, the 'Wing knows how to make time in long straights. (not sure how often you'll run up on taillights though)

The wife and I are kicking this one around. She will not ride the FJR with me, so we would have to ride our Gold Wing. Is this a FJR specific ride? I would most likely have to pull my Bushtec trailer also, and from the looks of the routes, I could not leave it at the room, but would have to pull it the whole way. Not a problem for me, but I don't want to ruin the ride for anyone. Let me know what everyone thinks.
Come on and bring the Wing. Then we have a place to carry the beer. ;)

Come on and bring the Wing. Then we have a place to carry the beer. ;)

How much will a bushtec trailer carry? :D

How much will a bushtec trailer carry? :D [/font]

The Bushtec has a cooler on it, so we can fill it up and stop when ever someone gets thirsty. :yahoo:

Looks like we has to get our plans made and send in some money. Looks like a great ride, we are looking forward to it.

Quicksilver: I'm not a huge fan of early mornings, so I figured kickstands up by 9:00. The cottages at Red River Gorge have a kitchen, so I will start cooking omlettes for everyone by about 7:30 (I used to be a line cook). An hour and a half should be enough time to eat, clean up, and get out of there.

The next day, I want to be on the road by 8:00 since we have some sight seeing stops.

OhioFJR: Come on along! Do you have a GPS? I can send you mapsource files if you'd like.

Due to our rather small group size, (we will have about 8-10) it shouldn't be hard to remain relatively cohesive with 1 or 2 small groups.

Out of the people who are going so far, who has GPS and/or Radar?

I have GPS... being of the Virginian clan, I have no radar detector much to the dismay of my out of state friends.

Friggin "A"... I just realized something... Keith is gonna' cook for us!

Ya' know Tim, that weather radar may come in big handy. I wouldn't mind having that, myself.

I myself have a 276C. Great functionality. I love it. Pretty sure that besides those couple of 376C perks like weather & radio, the function is very similar to my unit.