• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Skyway's Aux. Fuel Cell Kit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How soon do I need to be setting up for the 3/8" ID fuel line? ;)
Hmmm, perhaps like me, .....you got this aux tank as a hedge against the rising cost of gasoline. I too am eager to get mine filled as every day the price of gas seems to be going up. I figure if I can get my tank on and filled before gas hits $4.00/gallon then I'll have paid for the all this with just the first fill-up :)

Yep, status report would be cool so that we can start putting some mad-money aside to fill this baby up for the first time. LOL LOL

I'm having the first tanks shipped to me early next week to ensure that the manufacturer has them to my specs. Since the first 2 I had made, (mine & TD's) I have submited a print specing exactly what I want. This needs to be done so that the cover, mounts, etc all fit together without a hitch.

Upon a sucessfull fit check, all tanks will be manufactured and shipped as promised. I am almost complete with all the mounts, and they will be following shortly.

As I mentioned before, either contact BLM or Sampson sport touring for a bulk head fitting for your FJR tank. Make sure it is suitable for 3/8 ID fuel line. If for some reason you can't get one from either, I'll post up a parts list of what you need.

I'm having the first tanks shipped to me early next week to ensure that the manufacturer has them to my specs. Since the first 2 I had made, (mine & TD's) I have submited a print specing exactly what I want. This needs to be done so that the cover, mounts, etc all fit together without a hitch.
Upon a sucessfull fit check, all tanks will be manufactured and shipped as promised. I am almost complete with all the mounts, and they will be following shortly.

As I mentioned before, either contact BLM or Sampson sport touring for a bulk head fitting for your FJR tank. Make sure it is suitable for 3/8 ID fuel line. If for some reason you can't get one from either, I'll post up a parts list of what you need.
Excellent bit of news. Nice to see things are developing...

I did some looking on both Sampson Sport Touring site and BLM site and I am not 100% sure what all I need to buy.

Yes a parts list would help me a lot. The less shipments across the border the cheaper it is.

thanks again!

Don't order the FJR kit from Samson, it's all wrong size for us. They don't show a listing for 3/8 i.d. bulkhead fitting either. Can't wait to here where to buy these items(bulkhead fitting & 3/8 i.d. guick disconnect- which type) . . . I can wait on the tank bag & accessories(backrests etc).

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't order the FJR kit from Samson, it's all wrong size for us. They don't show a listing for 3/8 i.d. bulkhead fitting either.
Over the weekend, I got this reply from Terry Smith of Sampson Sport Touring:

I don't carry 3/8" as the 5/16" will easily carry enough fuel to keep your bike going. As a matter of fact for a FJR we recommend using the 1/4" as there isn't much room down there so unless you're actually going to ride 150 mph or + for some distance the 1/4" should keep up with your consumption.

If you really want 3/8" I can get it but figure it'll be about 50% more!! Let me know if you want to pursue this and I can find out Monday.

Don't order the FJR kit from Samson, it's all wrong size for us. They don't show a listing for 3/8 i.d. bulkhead fitting either.
Over the weekend, I got this reply from Terry Smith of Sampson Sport Touring:

I don't carry 3/8" as the 5/16" will easily carry enough fuel to keep your bike going. As a matter of fact for a FJR we recommend using the 1/4" as there isn't much room down there so unless you're actually going to ride 150 mph or + for some distance the 1/4" should keep up with your consumption.

If you really want 3/8" I can get it but figure it'll be about 50% more!! Let me know if you want to pursue this and I can find out Monday.
I will be posting part numbers today.

What seems to be the mix-up here, is that you only need the portion of the bulkhead fitting that attaches to the main gas tank. As long as the bulk head fitting has a 1/4" female NPT thread exiting the fitting, you're golden. A 3/8" ID barbed brass fitting with a 1/4" NPT male thread can be bought at any hardware store in the plumbing section for around a $1.

Look at this thread here which details everything you ever wanted to know about a bulk head fitting and how to install it.

www.fjr1300.info/howto/bulkhead

Stand by for bulkhead fitting ordering info. I've had the week from hell and will post up details as soon as I have them.

Stand by for bulkhead fitting ordering info. I've had the week from hell and will post up details as soon as I have them.
No problem Ian... not much use to have them before the rest of the kit shows up anyway....

The machine is being preped for the fuel cell mounts as we speak. The 03-05 will be cut first followed right after by the 06-07 bikes.

I'm very sorry about the long delay on this mounting kit, but I had to get some details straightened out before I could begin shipping this item. Starting a company and having the means to comfortably carry a product such as this has delayed it's release, but I can now proceed without any further delays.

They will now be delivered as quickly as I can make them.

Ian

Was just wondering about the status of the Fuel Cell for me? I haven't bothered to pm you since I know you have been very busy but with you working on them now could you check? I haven't received my fuel cell yet like some of the others have. I am not talking about the mounts but just the fuel cell itself. I asked you earlier about it. Whenever you get a chance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

devanator

Ian
Was just wondering about the status of the Fuel Cell for me? I haven't bothered to pm you since I know you have been very busy but with you working on them now could you check? I haven't received my fuel cell yet like some of the others have. I am not talking about the mounts but just the fuel cell itself. I asked you earlier about it. Whenever you get a chance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

devanator
I'll be in touch with you on Monday.

I received my bulkhead fitting but it looks a little different than I expected. It only has one rubber o-ring which I assume goes on the inside of the tank.

I am also curious as to what type of sealant I need to use on the threaded part of the fitting.

Any comments would be appreciated. Any update on ETA of the Fuel Cell?

Canadian FJR

""

I received my bulkhead fitting but it looks a little different than I expected. It only has one rubber o-ring which I assume goes on the inside of the tank.

I am also curious as to what type of sealant I need to use on the threaded part of the fitting.

Any comments would be appreciated. Any update on ETA of the Fuel Cell?""

hmmm..maybe post a picture of the fitting....it may look different becuase you don't have the 90' yet? You will probably need another o-ring one for inside one for outside the tank. I went to Home Depot and got some nice synthetic washers to go right up against the tankt o keep the orings from binding up. These washers can be found in the hardware section. I put a couple drops of locktite on the threads, no problems in the month or so since I did it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.