Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at the Strip District the other day and was seeing whole brisket clods for $4.99, and they totaled more than $110. That would be some awesome BBQ. Next time, I'll take a picture, cause I'm sure not buying it.

I cook one or two briskets a year. Clearly in this circle, that doesn't make me an expert. As previously stated, I trim ALL of the trimmable fat methodically before I cook it. We can debate the merit of that until the cows come home (to slaughter), but the point is I do it that way. If you do it differently, and invite me to try yours, I'll be the first in line.

Lately, I've been buying the "market trim" version, which basically has the thick slab of fat removed. I still have to trim a good bit more, but at least in my neck of the woods, paying $1.00 more per pound for this saves me from throwing 2-3 pounds of fat away, and I think I come up a tad bit cheaper overall.

Still - it's incredible that the butchers can get these prices for a piece of fatty belly meat.

Still - it's incredible that the butchers can get these prices for a piece of fatty belly meat.
What killed me was paying almost a full dollar per pound more for Brisket in Florida than here in Texas a few days later.

Well, thought I had it (posting photo) but guess not.... :(

image_zpsib1bbl6v.jpg

Pork Tenderloin with my salt-less rub. Wanted to get a photo right off the grill but half of it was gone before I got my camera...

Last edited by a moderator:
Use the "Direct Link" from photobucket and paste that into the image insert tool (picture frame icon in menu bar)

image_zpsib1bbl6v.jpg

I've been using a salt-less rub lately too. But I usually dry brine it with just salt the day before. If there is not enough time to brine it ahead then I would still use salt in the rub. Salt is important in bringing out the other flavors.

Planning on some tenderloins this afternoon here. Not sure if I'll smoke them or just grille them. Either way they are good eatin'

That's just the problem, I don't have any "menu bar" either in the Mobil version of the Full version (which I use on my IPhone.). No text choices, no emoticons, nothing there.....just a reply box with "add reply" , "preview post" and "or cancel" at the bottom. There's no insert tool to click on....

Used to be there...but it's been gone awhile now. Just figured the new software at the site removed it.

I thought there used to be an option at the bottom of the main page to pick from two different formats...(besides "Mobil") ...One had the line up of bikes of each model year, and the other had the two bikes in the desert with the "FJR FORUM" sign ...at the very top of the page. I see no option to change this...(I have the two bikes in the desert)

Nah. I don't have that menu bar either on anything running iOS. It's just too easy peasy from a windoze machine.

That's just the problem, I don't have any "menu bar" either in the Mobil version of the Full version (which I use on my IPhone.). No text choices, no emoticons, nothing there.....just a reply box with "add reply" , "preview post" and "or cancel" at the bottom. There's no insert tool to click on....Used to be there...but it's been gone awhile now. Just figured the new software at the site removed it.

I thought there used to be an option at the bottom of the main page to pick from two different formats...(besides "Mobil") ...One had the line up of bikes of each model year, and the other had the two bikes in the desert with the "FJR FORUM" sign ...at the very top of the page. I see no option to change this...(I have the two bikes in the desert)
Ok, to use Photobucket from your phone (mobile version), select the photo and hit the "share" button. The one that looks like a sideways "V" with balls on the end. Then chose "Direct Link" and it will copy the URL to your clipboard. Come here and paste that to your reply box. Put "(img)" in front of what it pastes, and "(/img)" behind it. No quotes, and instead of parenthesis, use the square brackets...Now to see if this posts like it looks here. It wouldn't let me use the brackets, just to show you. Haha...

I tried that and got this response:

"You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community"

But if I do that after I post the link...it seems to work it has to have the in between

Watching intently , and dreaming of my next smoker build.

I'm thinking of maybe developing a remote firebox to allow cold smoking of fish, cheese, bacon, etc. But with an ability to attach or use one to the cooking chamber (in whatever configuration it is, vertical or horizontal) for normal temp smoking or even smoke roasting of lean meats. I'm thinking the thickness of the cooking chamber is not nearly as important as that of the firebox.

Anyway... just salivating at the chance to see your smoker finished and cooking! :thumbsup:

Anyway... just salivating at the chance to see your smoker finished and cooking! :thumbsup:
Me too....

Hate to say it HERE....but I think I am more excited about this ...than back when I was a "waiter" for my FJR.

They are supposed to be finished with their other order next week, and said they'll then be full time on my project. So more photos to come...

I put in 22 hours on her yesterday.. 10 pounds of Beef Brisket, 15 pounds of Loin, and several sections of Ribs.

I won't be doing anymore for awhile.. Got all the firebricks and blocks for the stand alone smoke house.

Mow%20004_zps6vtbvpxx.jpg

A good smoke no?

All you klowns know that smoking your food before consumption adds a whole bunch of carbon to your diet, right?