Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 pork loins smoked and taken to the kid's house. Added to their steak to make fajitas for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I smoked a pork shoulder and a chuck roast yesterday. Both of them I could cut with a fork. The best results I had so far. The bone just fell out of the pork shoulder. I used salt black pepper and cumen on the chuck roast for a dry rub. For the pork shoulder I use salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper and brown suger. This time I did not use the water bowl that I normally do. I put the shoulder fat side down on the grill.

I also used some lump hardwood coals this time also. Started out with charcoal and apple wood first. Then added the lump charcoal half way through. Pulled them both off 8 hours later and they were done. I made two bowls of pulled pork and chuck beef. I had a pulled pork sandwich for lunch today and another pulled beef sandwich for supper tonight.

100_2138_zpsd7cuol2r.jpg

And just to let Odot know, there is no more carbon on my meat than following a group of Hardleys.

Dave

Did the first smoke since moving to the new house. Dragged out the UDS and did up a chicken. Delish.

Smoked up a nice fresh turkey breast on Saturday. Just a plain "Dalmation rub" and flopped her on the grille.

IMG_0682.jpg

I used the gas converted, reverse flow COS, which gives a nice steady heat, but less steady smoke. Just have to keep feeding the wood chunks into the smoke generating pan every 1/2 hour or so..

IMG_0684.jpg

Note that the back lawn is fully dead now, Tom. Gotta blame the severe drought we're having this year though, not the big dawgs.
wink.png

We got us some TB love in New England.

IMG_0687.jpg

(Ummm... that's "Turkey Breast" love of course. What the heck were you thinking?
rolleyes.gif
)

And now for the money shot.

IMG_0689.jpg

Oh yeah, it was mega-delicious as usual. Served it up sliced thin with some cheesy broiled tomoto slices and fresh green beans from the farm down the street, and both my regular Stubs spicy and a nice green jalapeno sauce. The green seemed to go better with the turkey.

TB was on the smoker for only ~ 5 1/2 hours and was pulled at 165 internal. Meat was nice and tender, moist and juicy even without brining.

(sorry about the photo size. Not sure why the vertical shots come out so big. A new "feature" from photobucket I guess._

Well here's the ribs at the end of "1"..

image_zpsxjlq4s8g.jpg

Seriously, I'm going to leave out the "2" next time, and just baste them instead of wrapping them in foil. They simply came out too tender..."falling off the bone" is an understatement, ended up eating them with a fork. Good, but I like grasping the bone and ripping the flesh off....

Those ribs look really GOOD! Gonna have to do some more sometime soon.

What temp did you run that turkey breast at Fred?

~225-230F. Ive done them at higher temps before in the past (as is often recommended) but the outside seemed to dry out a little. This worked really well and only took about 5 hours, so I'm good with that.

While waiting for my Ducks to play on TV, I setup my outdoor living room, put on some Costco pork belly followed by some hamburgers. I used maple wood. The pork will be made into maple / pepper bacon. The burger will be turned into hamburgers.
https://i.imgur.com/K9PLRdA.png
If Ohio State should meet the Ducks again this year, I'm going to be smoking a duck....again.

While waiting for my Ducks to play on TV, I setup my outdoor living room, put on some Costco pork belly followed by some hamburgers. I used maple wood. The pork will be made into maple / pepper bacon. The burger will be turned into hamburgers.
Nice "outdoor living room", I have the same smoker, 18" smokey mountain. Still getting the hang of it, liking it a lot!

Hopefully you know about The Virtual Weber Bullet.

Nice "outdoor living room", I have the same smoker, 18" smokey mountain. Still getting the hang of it, liking it a lot!

Worked all day yesterday, but my beautiful lady whom was never really into cooking until we met has been doing a fantastic job and getting better all the time....

I prompted her with the idea of making some Beer Can Chickens to give it a shot, she loved the idea....

Did her own mustard olive oil seasoning inside and out - with whatever other spices she chose, grabbed a couple soda cans and filled them 1/2 way with a favorite beer of her choice and put them on the smoker. 300* for a couple hours until done.... they turned out awesome... She was thrilled how tender, juicy and flavorful they were. So proud of her....

2015-09-12_zpsci4j0t9t.jpg

2015-09-13_zpsxlqtnutv.jpg

Hopefully you know about The Virtual Weber Bullet.

Thanks, I didn't know about the Virtual Weber Bullet. It is now on my "favorites"

Your Ducks may have quacked in the very end (they should'a had that final pass for the win) but that outdoor hangout of yours is as fine as can be.

Thanks for the link and the read.....

Can't say I was unhappy with the chicken, and it turned out great - could taste the stout in the meat....

I'll take a look at those vertical racks - FWIW we would usually always cook our chickens stuffed lightly with apples and oranges, with the breast side down to keep the juices flowing down through them... They have always turned out fantastic, just thought I'd shoot for something different for a change.

Can't really get bad food off the smoker IMO, so its just experimenting with various methods at this point....

This will be my next experiment in fun on the smoker.

https://imgur.com/gallery/bel5v