Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I started it today....

Just dropped it on the Yoder....

Butterflied Whole Pork Tenderloin, seasoned, layed out ground italian sausage, and flavored brats mixed together, covered with PepperJack Cheese. Rolled it all up - laced bacon over the top, and seasoned and added brown sugar..... Into the smoker for 7+ hours

https://s34.photobucket.com/user/Warpdrv/slideshow/Pork%20Tederloin%20Roll

You Bet Sir.....

Took the idea from this guy and added some stuff, but it looked awesome so figured why not give it a go...

https://imgur.com/gallery/bel5v

All in the ingredients cost about $35.... Could almost feed an army with it.... thing is 24" long LOL

4 hours in - rotated it 180*.... started cooking at 235, temps are up toward 135-140

Basted it with a Rum / BBQ / Molasses / Basalmic sauce...

Dropped smoker to 200, got plenty of time, let it slow roll....

0914151646_zpsh0zbsvro.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not butterflied out..but have another way to serve up a pork tenderloin...

Lay out the loin on a cutting board and starting about a half inch from the end, make two lengthwise cuts all the way through, so you have three long "fingers" held together at the one end. Season with your favorite rub. Now braid the three strands. Hold the other end together with a toothpick and then wrap the whole thing with a mat of woven bacon.

Smoke as usual, the advantage here is doing this you get the seasonings dispersed throughout the loin. Haven't tried this yet but it's on the list for the new smoker.

Not all great cooks on a smoker are low and slow. This is a rack of lamb (dedicated to Ignacio for his hard hitting on lambs). Prepared with Dijon mustard, garlic, black pepper, salt, rosemary and thyme, then grilled at 500 degrees F (indicated) using lump charcoal on the Komodo cooker. Final preparation is a cranberry-bourbon reduction sauce using a 100 proof whiskey, 1-tbs of natural sugar and cranberry. For those not paying attention, that is a Flambe. Very impressive, and not something captured with the iPhone.

My eyebrows might be back by EOM.

Raw materials:

AC31D2E6-C0A9-4F27-AF35-244395C29B16.jpg

8FA0C86F-196F-476F-B4DD-8CE4B6977CA1.jpg

Unfortunately, the final results are not available. There just comes a point where taking pictures has to take a back-seat to the goal...eating.

Cut some off the end and it looked and tested good, but I think we all know the Center was what we all after here on this one....

Cut it in the 3 parts just so I could get it off the smoker easier.... Wowsers... !!!

I highly recommend this cook !!! turned out really nice.. My Phone Camera just didn't catch the moment properly.

Grabbed the Nikon and needed to snap off a good shot while it was still out juicy and running !!!

The bacon IMO wasn't crispy enough, so I tossed under the broiler for a couple minutes to crisp things up...

I'm absolutely blown away by the flavors and consistency of the meat... everything came together really well...

PJF_8619_zpslggwpkel.jpg

Together this with my home brew Wasabi Mashed Potatoes and fresh end of season sweet corn !!!

Total Winner...

Very nicely done. Bravo!!

I know what you mean about the bacon wraps, The bacon always seems to come out underwhelmingly limp if cooked at nominal smoker temps. Even with my ABT's, the bacon never really seems to get "done" enough. So, either a quick trip under the broiler (like you did) or tossing it onto a hot gas grille on for a few minutes on each side sounds like a good plan.

I would like to try this when I get back from EOM. I am curious as to what type of sausage you used. Would Jimmy Dean's work or rather some type of sweat sausage may be better.

Dave

Hey Dave..... Pretty sure anything your heart desires....

I'm a flavor whore so instead of just plain old pork sausage I figured I would just combine a bunch of different things...

The guys recipe called for 4lbs of sausage....

I used a little over 3lbs, 1lb of ground italian sausage, 1lb of jalapeno cheddar brats, and 1 lb of Hungarian sausage.

I was going to use more cheese, had some shredded cheese I was going to add, but never did. I'd use more cheese next time.

Knifemaker - that sounds like a fun way to make that Loin... going to try that method...

Yes, it will have a pull out ash pan under the coal basket.

I had them make the fuel basket to slide out like that so I could use a "charcoal starter"... and just easily dump it in....thus I could use just wood OR charcoal. Haven't decided which I'll use....but I do have a few hickory and oak trees left over when they cleared the lot for the house, so I could use wood and not have to buy charcoal...as I have about a life time supply of wood here.

Few more photos...cut out for firebox. Firebox and cooking chamber side by side and Side view..

image_zps7zcpj03k.jpg

image_zpssqqcafye.jpg

image_zpsexjvwzwp.jpg

No pics but I smoked up a pork butt today, 225 degrees till center was 191, rest, and it pulled apart like a dream. Used my Traeger grill that I've had for about 15 or 20 years.

I really want a Kamado but the Traeger just keeps working.

Will be smoking up a ton of ribs this Thanksgiving for a big feed at a friends church. And yes, they make me do ribs. I'll come home from work on Tuesday and there will be 5 racks of St. Louis ribs in the fridge. i don't even have to buy them!

About the only thing more fun than smoking is Dutch Oven cooking at camp.

Went to a local annual BBQ festival today....pulled pork and ribs galore. Award winning smokers...Was more interested in some more unique recipes...found two worth trying my self soon. First was a utterly simple one ...beer bread.

Guy was making this in a Green Egg on a pizza stone. Just take -

3 cups self rising flour

Three tablespoons of sugar

1Teaspoon of salt

And one 12 oz Beer of your choice and mix in a bowl into a dough.

Spread on the stone and cook @375F for about 20 min. Feel free to season with whatever you want. Garlic and paprika is what he used.

Nice appetizer while you drink and wait for your ribs.....

Next up was sausage sliders....(they had a cooler name for these , but I forgot it)

Make small parties out of your favorite pork sausage- about 1/2" thick and about 3 inches in diameter.

Then coat heavily with your favorite rub. (He used a smoked paprika based rib rub) Smoke for 2-3 hours at normal pork temp (240F) and then serve imeadiatelly on slider buns with your favorite sauce. (I chose spicy BBQ sauce)

Yum.

The "redneck tacos" were a hit too...light cornmeal pancakes with cheese, cole slaw and pulled pork. Add sweet and spicy BBQ sauce.and ... Yee haw... :)