Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, and?

biggrin.png
Thanks?
You are welcome.

Bought a pork shoulder yesterday and made a brine for it. It is now sitting in the fridge. Going on the smoker Turkey day.

Dave

WTF, Dave? You're having Pulled Pork on Turkey Day? Or is that for eating later in the weekend?

Played around with the new OK Joe this morning and tried running it with the propane burner that I had setup in my little COS previously. That seems to work quite nicely. I've got things tightened up enough that I could actually use less gas on this grille than the little leaky COS, and that will only get better when I put the door gaskets on. Also installed a second lid thermometer in the provided bung. The temps are about 50 degrees disparate on the two sides, which is to be expected with no baffle plates.

I think I may drill another access port for the gas burner so the hose can exit the firebox underneath the cooking chamber and run to the left side. I'd rather have the propane cylinder on the opposite side from the firebox for obvious reasons. That will also allow me to use the vent and firebox door to adjust air flow as needed.

Happy Turkey Day to all tomorrow. I hope that you'll all spend the day with people you care about.

Fred, the smoked pork is just complimenting the turkey that will be in the oven on T-Day. I will have plenty to eat for the next 4 days. Some will most likely make it into the freezer to be devoured at a later date.

BTW you already pissed me off by getting the nice steel of a smoker. Don't be surprised if I find one myself.
tonguesmiley.gif

Dave

Dave, there were two more sitting there at the Walmart in Salem NH. Tax free, buddy!

(now I'm the enabler)

edit - In case the tax free thing (long drive) doesn't appeal to you, I just checked the Walmart.com web site and they show it being "in stock" at their stores in Fairhaven and North Dartmouth MA. You'd have to call to see if they are on clearance for $180 there, like they are in Salem, NH

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got that same sized BBQ pit - I've had it for 20 years. Amazingly, it's still in fantastic shape.
I'd happily give it to anyone who would be willing to come by and pick it up. I just don't cook on it anymore and certainly don't want to throw it away.
I wonder how well it'd tow behind the FJR ??!?!?

punk.gif

Dave, there were two more sitting there at the Walmart in Salem NH. Tax free, buddy!
(now I'm the enabler)

edit - In case the tax free thing (long drive) doesn't appeal to you, I just checked the Walmart.com web site and they show it being "in stock" at their stores in Fairhaven and North Dartmouth MA. You'd have to call to see if they are on clearance for $180 there, like they are in Salem, NH
They just opened the super wallmart in Wareham and I haven't been there yet. I might just have to check it out.

If my wife gets mad I am going to blame it on you of course.

Dave

It's so cute when folks refer to them as "Super" Wal-Mart. In Texas, that's just a Wal-Mart.
biggrin.png

Great deal there Fred. As I noted in my previous post, the Oklahoma Joe pit was built by the same guys that made the Brinkmans. Both are at the top of the heap in the COS world. Early Brinkmans were made exceptionally well, later models, not as solid as the OJ's from what I've read.

Not sure you need to seal the end door on the firebox perfectly, I'd be more concerned with the top door and leaks around the cooking chamber.

Looks like my smoke tomorrow might start early, they are predicting rain later in the day and I'd rather not try dealing with that....luckily the small roasts won't take long so I should have luck finding a non raining window of opportunity.

But yeah Fred, go ahead and cook on it.....

Well not really Thankgiving Material, but went to the store today and they had samples of these sausages... OMG

If you haven't done brats or sausages on the smoker - you can't get much better.... low and slow....

Came home from work early, so I really got nothing else going on.... Figured I have to cook up some bacon for a couple dishes tomorrow, so why not cook up some other stuff as well....

Apple

Sweet Potato

Polish

Ring Bologna

2015-11-25.jpg

Woman tasked me to make a Beer Cheese Soup yesterday - was very happy how it turned out for my first go...

Now I have to make some home made croutons that this afternoon....

Who doesn't love cooking !!

Looks like my smoke tomorrow might start early, they are predicting rain later in the day and I'd rather not try dealing with that....luckily the small roasts won't take long so I should have luck finding a non raining window of opportunity.
Why does rain effect your cooking ?

Why does rain effect your cooking ?
Because rain running over your smoker tends to cool it off, and my smokestack has no rain cover...not to mention the getting wet part...(not sure if my new electronic temperature gauge is waterproof.)

Oh.... I see.....

Never thought of that....

I bought a pellet pooper, and got a thermal blanket for my pit as well.... maintains the temps in the smoker very even, rain or snow...

Also the way the Yoder is made, all drippings slope towards the exhaust side of the pit and into the drip bucket below, so any rain that may come in the exhaust fall right into the drip bucket.

They are pretty well designed pits....

0529151120_zpssm95qtkg.jpg

IMG_20140217_115612.jpg

Well I'll just soldier on despite the rain... Figure I can make a a rain cover for the smokestack from an aluminum roasting pan and some tin snips. The temp gauge can go in a zip lock bag, and I'll center the roasts on the grate...as the smoke will still be hot...just might take a bit longer to cook. As long as the grate level probe sticks around 220-245F they'll still cook. :)

Well the smoke is on. My suspicions about the dial thermometers has held correct...they are about 100 degrees lower than grate level temps. Right now with the barest little slit open on the firebox vent, I'm maintaining a 250 degree reading from the grate probe (about one inch above the cooking surface) dial gauges both read 130F.

I'm chucking in small blocks of hickory and applewood. Meat probe after a half hour is at 40 degrees (they were 32 at start) closed the vent a bit more and will try to keep it in the 240 range. With little turkey roasts like this you don't need slow and low, you're just trying to get a good 3 hours worth of smoke on them.

Luckily no rain expected now till evening, it's very sunny out and 64 degrees.

1448556034_zps7jnq5zl4.jpg

Perfect...

1448557646_zpsuy5m6iq9.jpg

(The red tape one is the meat probe and the green one is the grate probe)

Turkey came out awesome...

Oddly because of the smoke...a few mentioned it tasted a bit like ham... I kinda got that ....but whatever... It tasted great.

1448586623_zpstrtayote.jpg