Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put a smiley face. Damnit, though, he needs to show the ribs! My mouth is watering thinking of that thing loaded up with ribs damnit!
biggrin.png

I count 10 racks of ribs on there. That's a 3 month supply for me. Yeh I would like to see it also but I don't expect anything until the weekend.

Dave

I was just checking fit and showing handy work...(thanks Fred)

Did think about "seasoning" the rack, but rather than fire up the pit, I'm just going to start a bed of coals in small portable grill I have and cook the rack awhile on it to make sure there's no weird residues on it.

And Dave, There are 6 slots for the ribs, you have to leave an empty slot between them for the smoke to flow through. This was the reason I built the thing, as searches online said to make sure your rack has at least 1-1/2" of space between the ribs. Some cheaper store bought models don't allow enough space. So I made mine with 1-3/4" spacing. It's 20-1/4" wide and 16-1/2 inches long. As the bottom is joined by threaded rods, the length is adjustable if you have shorter ribs....

Ribs coming Christmas Day.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be willing to bet you'd be just fine fully loading it up, but good planning none the less.

I gotta wait till Christmas????

I'd be willing to bet you'd be just fine fully loading it up....
You're probably right. As a smoker like mine is basicly a convection oven.....as long as the ribs aren't touching each other they "should" cook up fine.But, as I'm dead serious about ribs, I don't want to take the chance that they all don't have that super smokey goodness I love. :)

Here's some gentle words of encouragement for the leaders of this thread.

It's Christmas.

On Christmas, families gather.

Where families gather, food is eaten.

Where food is eaten, meat is cooked.

Where meat is cooked, at least some of it is smoked.

Therefore, by reasonable deduction, I am assuming that several of us are planning to smoke some meat soon.

On behalf of the rest of us, we would greatly appreciate some pictures.

Now then, excuse me while I get dressed for the grocery. There is a pork roast there with my name on it.

Xmas plans (not until xmas day):

2 pork tenderloins on the smoker

5# turkey breast in the sous-vide

Various root veggies also in the souse-vide

Today I make the clarified butter, the brown butter (not shown), and the garlic butter.

Butters.jpg

2 full pork loins? Or did you mean tenderloins? 2 full loins would be about 25 lbs of meat.
uhoh.gif

I just got back from shopping myself. Christmas Eve is at the Mother-in-law's as usual, but we still do the cooking, and she asked for roast beef. Just 5 of us dining, so I bought a small (3 lb) Boneless Rib Eye Roast.

Our whole immediate family is expected home for Xmas day, 10 adults and 2 kids. Got a 1/2 a center cut pork loin (7 lbs) for then.

Each will be dry-brined over night, and most likely just be roasted in our kitchen oven. Forecast is for rain all week.
angry01.gif

Still planning on smoking the 6 slabs of St. Louis ribs Friday morning. Rain is expected at this point (20%)... but I'm going for it even if I have to start at 3 am. ;)

My slight alternative rub:

Rub:

3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar

1/2 cup white sugar

1/2 cup Hungarian paprika- less 1 tablespoon---

1 tablespoon Smoked Paprika

1/4 cup garlic powder

2 tablespoons FRESH ground black pepper (I use a repurposed coffee grinder)

2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger

2 tablespoons onion powder

2 teaspoons rosemary powder

2 teaspoons chili powder

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Blend in a food processor for a few minutes to mix.(helps break up clumps of the brown sugar)

The ginger's a new twist for me. Thanks for the ideas.
I've seen several rub recipes online that use powdered ginger. So, decided to toss some in. I'm I always try to use fresh herbs over those dry tiny spice jar ones. A tip I got from another cook awhile back was to buy a fresh ginger root at the store and place it in a zip lock bag in the freezer.

Anytime a recipe calls for ginger, just take it out and grate what you need with a fine hand held cheese grater, putting the left over back in the freezer. It will last for years this way. I do the same exact thing with hot peppers (like habinaros) I keep in the freezer.

Suggestion time

I have an 8 lb beef tenderloin to cook tomorrow. I have a gas grill or an open pit charcoal grill. We have always done some kind of steak on Christmas and will have good weather this year.

Suggestions for rub/brine/marinade and method would be great. There is just 8 of us eating, so portions will be perfect!!

Let me know what you would do.

Thanks.

Suggestion timeI have an 8 lb beef tenderloin to cook tomorrow. I have a gas grill or an open pit charcoal grill. We have always done some kind of steak on Christmas and will have good weather this year.

Suggestions for rub/brine/marinade and method would be great. There is just 8 of us eating, so portions will be perfect!!

Let me know what you would do.

Thanks.
I'd slice it into 2-1/2 inch fillets and toss them on the charcoal grill. Only a bit of salt, fresh black pepper and a light dusting of garlic powder is what I'd use. Let them warm to room temperature before putting on the grill..Cook on a fairly hot grill 5-7 minutes a side depending on how rare you like it.