Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KM: Doesn't the Q sauce drown out the flavors you worked hard to get into the meat?
Not really. If you put ketchup and mustard on a hot dog, do you not taste the hot dog?
I'm not quite sure I buy into hot dogs being in the same class of quality cuts of meat, but for the sake of argument, ooookay...

Here, the BBQ sauce is part of the equation when you're cooking pork steaks. 40+ years of eating these and I've ever been anywhere that served them without a coating of BBQ sauce.
I know you're from MO and the definitions of BBQ are a little laxer there.

If you dip a piece of lobster tail into melted butter, it's the thing that compliments it, it's not like you're just eating butter.
Which, buy comparing lobster to Q, sorta proves that whole confusions-about-Q thing above.

Moving on.

You're not swallowing each piece whole, even being tender, you're still chewing it. You mouth pretty much swallows the liquids right off, and then it as you chew you get the flavors of the meat. These were about an inch thick, so although the photo seems to show a lot of sauce on them, it doesn't overshadow the meat.
Normally these are grilled not smoked. Note that they only were smoked for 90 minutes....the smoke ring was only about 1/8" on each side, but the smoke flavor was present.

I've had them cooked as above in a pan of a sauce, and you can tell the ones that were cooked too long because all you taste is the sauce and the meat is just mushy. (I did ribs like that once, big mistake)

Everyone in the St. Louis area has their own way they cook these things. Remember it's not a high priced piece of meat. When smoking a whole butt you're taking it slow to get as much smokiness you can into it and get the fats to render. You can't really cook a pork steak too long, because being just a slice it can quickly dry out. Many spray them down every few minutes (if not wrapping them in foil) to prevent this. And many sauce them up as soon as they are placed on the grill and continuously baste more on as they cook to achieve the same. This is likely why pork steaks that aren't slathered with sauce are unheard of.

All the folks at the house were natives. They complimented me on how juicy and very tender the meat was, and that's pretty much all you can ask for
wink.png

It was funny, my son in laws mom asked how I made the sauce, as she "loved it" . I had to be honest...I said I made it by getting a bowl, opening the bottle, and pouring it into the bowl. (Sweet Baby Rays Original) granted I did add some apple juice, some beer, and some red wine. So looks like Ray has picked up a new customer.
Which is a great point and that I'm obsessing about Q from an overly OCD purist position. Given it's pork and we all know that real Q is beef, then clearly I'm off base on trying to make this point.

On another note, looks like I'll be picking up my drum tomorrow
smile.png
Sweet.

PS:
smile.png

BTW: Pulled a turkey breast and 2 pork tenderloins out of the freezer to thaw. Should make a good selection for the weekend. Extras to be frozen and ready for later when the need arises.

Last edited by a moderator:
Que is beef? Sounds like some kind of Texas snobbery. My favorite BBQ is pork. Pork fat is delicious when rendered down and properly cooked. Think bacon here. Beef fat is fatty fat. Even after rendering it tastes like fat.

I like brisket as much as anyone, and I like beef long ribs nearly as much. But it still doesnt compare with pork in my books, and pork runs about 1/4th of the cost

Well it is true that in most places in the upper Midwest the phrase "Barbecue, Bar-B-Que, or just BBQ" means ANYTHING cooked on a grill, a pit, or over a fire. "Come over Saturday we're having a barbecue" Simply implies a get together where some kind, or kinds, of food, that will be cooked outside will be served.

Most in the lower Midwest understand that BBQ is some type of meat that's smoked. Nowhere other than perhaps Texas does it imply it's only beef.

However, anything that has BBQ sauce on it, can be said to be barbecue _______, even if it's cooked in an oven inside.

It's not really confusing, you just need to know where it is and who's saying it. So the definition of "BBQ" isn't up for debate, as it obviously matters where in the country you are. Like "Pop" verses "Soda" (and "Coke"....) Its not a "right or wrong" thing.. ;)

I try to us "barbecue" as many in the south use it, to describe smoked foods. I also explain this to those that use it in place of the word grilled. (When talking about cooking, not using it as a name of an event, as I still use the word in that manner when sending out invitations "we are having a BBQ")

Yeah, to 95% of New Englanders, barbecue is what you do on your gas grille to hamburgers and hot dogs on the 4th of July. The older folks may go as far as cooking the hams and hots on a charcoal Weber. Real BBQ places are few and far between up here, but they all draw a pretty good crowd of the 5 percenters. And backyard smoking is really just starting to take off. Way too much work for most folks. Thats why theyd rather just go to the local Rib Shack.

Starting to collect my parts for a pilot run of 3 UDSs (Upright Drum Smokers). Scored some nice 3/4 stainless steel ball valves on eBay. Need to grab a few cheap Weber kettle clones for lids and grids. Summer stuff will be going on clearance around here soon at the big box and department stores, hoping to get some for really cheap. A few pieces of expanded metal for the baskets, and Walmart pizza pans for ash catches, a handful of hardware and Ill be ready to start building. Ill either get the drums free from my son or theres a guy down in Mass (not too far away) selling them for $10 each.

My drum and a few parts:

IMG_3391.jpg

Drum is unlined and powder coated, which reportedly can handle temps up to 650 F. First job will be cutting the top off (I assumed that one end was open...)

No luck at Lowes for a Weber clone. Will update later when I get going on this. :)

Unlined would be great. Means you wont need to burn it out. Very unusual for food grade barrels to not be lined though. Maybe because it was canola oil they didnt need to line it? But Im still sceptical. I guess youll see for sure when you get the can open. Any thoughts on how youll be accomplishing the lid-ectomy?

The fancy side-flip grate is a good idea. Using that you could toss wood chunks into the charcoal in mid-cook if needed, as long as there is no lower rack installed. Might eliminate your desire for a side door.

On another tangent, but related to drum smokers, Im reading a few vertical drum manufacturers who are advocating Hot and Fast cooking on these and claiming competition quality results. Gateway Smokers seems to have the most specific claims, though a couple of the kits say similar stuff. Anyone tried any of that yet?

Andy has been using these drums for years to make smokers and grills, so I do trust him when he said it's unlined.

As far as removing the top.... there are seveal ways. You can use an air chisel (they even make a special bit for opening drums), but I don't have any air tools. They make a drum cutter, which is basicly a giant old fashioned can opener, but those are $70.

I thought of using a hacksaw blade in a sabre saw or reciprocal saw, which I do have.

Andy uses an angle grinder...which I don't have either, but I can borrow one from the shop at work. Which is my plan right now.

How to with an angle grinder:

I too have read of compittion smokers cooking at higher temperatures. Have not met any that are actually doing it.

The lid-ectomy went fine.

IMG_3392.jpg

Was about as fast as the video I posted. Only faux pas was emptying the gallon of Canola oil that was still in the drum in the empty lot next to us, was having some it flood into my right shoe. They were leather Birkenstocks....but hey, oils good for leather right?

Will likely start work on it next week. Not sure about the lid yet, the diameter of the opening looks to be about 22-7/8"....which might be a tad too big for a Weber type lid. Andy says the Weber clones tend to fit better than an actual Weber lid. We will see... :)

Wait, Birkenstocks? Are you in Vermont or Misery? I hope you didnt get your socks wet. ;)

Maybe go around and measure the prospective clone lids now that you have your drum dimension.

Cant wait to see the final product and hear your impressions of cooking on it.

PS - nice job with the angle grinder. It looks nice and smooth.

Although 1/2 German, I don't wear socks with sandels, and have been known to make fun of those that do. ;)

The lids on these drums aren't welded, they are just crimped, so grinding down you will see the line where the two seperate metal pieces are. Was very evident on this drum as the heat I guess boiled up the oil coating on the inside and made it "sweat" through between the two. So it real easy to know when to stop. After I got the top off, I went back over the edge with a file to make sure there weren't any sharp edges or burrs.

Stopping by Home Depot after work to search for more parts.

And yes, I can't wait to cook something on it. :)

Did my first pizza on the Camp Chef. Cranked all the way up it gets up to around 450-485 degrees. 18 minutes made for a perfect pizza. Didn't think to grab pictures before cutting it up and devouring it.

So, after learning to smoke meat on my Brinkmann vertical smoker, my wife bought me an OK Joe “Highland” smoker for Fathers Day.

Looks like I get to play with a new toy and start the mods ........

Biknflyfisher

I plan on keeping the Brinkmann for smaller smokes (like 1 tri-tip). But having the larger option for a big brisket will be nice.....

I’ve never smoked ribs, so I need to get with that program.

The OK Joe is the perfect smoker for cooking ribs. Even with a diffuser plate installed the end nearest the firebox is still a little hotter than the chimney end, so youll want to flip and flop the ribs about every hour or so throughout the cook. I find that holding the cooking temp at 225-235 the baby backs are usually done (pass the bend test) at around 5 hours. Coincidentally, I have a couple racks of fresh baby backs, dry brined (salted) and waiting in the fridge to be cooked right now, and I will be using charcoal in the OK Joe so I can try out the DigiQ stoker.

After youve cooked on the offset with charcoal a few times youll want to try your hand at stick burning. Its a little bit more time consuming, but the results are worth the extra effort. I like doing that on quicker, hotter cooks like pork loin or poultry. Gives a very refined smoke flavor once you learn to make TBS. (Thin Blue Smoke). I do recommend doing something to protect the bottom of the firebox if burning sticks, as the heat gets pretty high down there below the grate. A layer of sand or crushed stone would work. I lined the bottom of mine with 1 inch thick, cut ~3 inch wide, pieces of flagstone that seems to be holding up well.

Ribs are why I got into this whole smoking thing. Now I'm hooked.. ;)

Big score today for stuff for my UDS build. The grill I looked at last week went on sale for $39. So now I have a lid, (with a hinge!) another grate, and a little side basket I can use on the shelf:

IMG_3417.jpg

Next up, some unpainted shelf parts:

IMG_3418.jpg

These will be bolted to the inside of the barrel, and the brackets cut down. So now I will have adjustable height food grates. I can raise or lower, or even add a third rack if I'm doing something skinny...(like 5 dozen brats?)

Not shown are a set of 5" aluminum legs (left over from another project) as I don't need wheels for the UDS, I'll be poring another dedicated pad for it a few feet down from my reverse.

Still have to pick up the assorted nuts and bolts. :)

Latest posts