So, I Ran Out of Gas...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is good information. I too have often wondered how far I could go. The most count up so far is 37 miles.
Just in case I or a riding partner run of fuel I carry a bladder taken from a large to go container available from coffee shops like Starbucks, Caribou etc..,. Anytime I see them in work meetings I take them. They fold up quite small and 96oz. It would be for emergency use only, I would use it to carry extra fuel. Ride to next fuel station, fill up the bladder, return to the stranded bike and your back on the road.
Now that is a pretty cool idea. I can't watch the video right now (my wife is teaching a class right behind me), is the material "gas friendly"?

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd NEVER carry a plastic bag full of gasoline. The idea of using this thing as an emergency container to take BACK to the bike from a gas station is sort of reasonable, but then I'd toss the starbucks bladder. Folding and unfolding will cause leaks eventually, and I wouldn't count on the threaded cap to be secure either--it's just designed to hold coffee when carried upright, after all. There are WAY too many ways this could go wrong. But that siphon hose (clear, unless you like the taste of gasoline) and any kind of an empty container to hold/pour from will help someone bail you out in a bad situation.

I have popped the fuel line off of a carburetor and let a pint run out into a cup or empty soda can or bottle to help out a stranded cyclist more than once. That was back when fuel lines were easily accessible and the tank had a valve on it which I could set to 'prime' to let the fuel flow. A siphon hose is probably a better idea to get fuel out of a modern motorcycle's tank.

I'd NEVER carry a plastic bag full of gasoline. The idea of using this thing as an emergency container to take BACK to the bike from a gas station is sort of reasonable, but then I'd toss the starbucks bladder. Folding and unfolding will cause leaks eventually, and I wouldn't count on the threaded cap to be secure either--it's just designed to hold coffee when carried upright, after all. There are WAY too many ways this could go wrong. But that siphon hose (clear, unless you like the taste of gasoline) and any kind of an empty container to hold/pour from will help someone bail you out in a bad situation.
As I said Emergency only and I agree onetime use only.

I edited my original post. I left out an import word NOT - I meant to say I would NOT use to carry extra fuel....

Note to self: Do a better job proof reading before saving...

I've run out of gas, more than once, but many years ago. Now, 2 bars remaining and I look for gas. I've been on 58 towards Barstow, and I take the fuel advice seriously. A nightmare of mine is running out of gas in the middle of BFE. Hell, I don't even let the riding mower run out gas.

I have popped the fuel line off of a carburetor and let a pint run out into a cup or empty soda can or bottle to help out a stranded cyclist more than once. That was back when fuel lines were easily accessible and the tank had a valve on it which I could set to 'prime' to let the fuel flow. A siphon hose is probably a better idea to get fuel out of a modern motorcycle's tank.
+1 on the hose. Threw one of these in the saddlebag a couple of years ago. Small enough not to get in the way of anything.

I had a buddy who used to try to carry extra fuel in an MSR bag. I think it was designed for fuel transport, and it was a PITA. That went into the trash quickly.

I dun went 76 mi. on reserve, 'n still had .6 gallons left. But that was come'in down outta the Sierras from Truckee. Thanks Bergie, now I know how far I can go in the flat lands.
wink.png

I've had several Hondas with "countdown" displays upon reaching a certain point. It seemed they all started out at something like 25 miles, then ticked upward as I drove on. Eventually they'd settle in and start counting miles down at the same rate the "regular" odometer ticked upward. At this point they seemed accurate. Nevertheless, my ST1100 burned me one day, running dry with the display having run down to 25 miles. I think it might have been because I was driving up the hill from the Mukilteo ferry dock. This is like a 7% grade and I speculate the fuel pickup unported.

This was sometime in 2000. The last time I ran dry before that was 1972.

I ran out three times.

Once I had to push it (up hill) to get off the by-pass. Got a ride to a gas station.

Once on scooters we ran out, went to a station, no gas can... bought a bottle of pop and refilled w/ 1 l of gas. The scooter ran all day.

Once in N Dakota (wide open) I ran out. Stopped a lot and swished it (Connie) back and forth for an extra 1/2 mile or so (3 times ) to get to a station.

W/ friends I like a siphon hose, or a pop bottle w/ cap. On your own.... I like planning ahead... or maybe the hose... or carry a spare msr can.

Among the top ten rules of motoring, Never head into the unknown without a full tank of gas. Once in my 50 years of motoring I nearly ran out of gas. That one time was heading north on US 95 in NV. I gassed up in Beatty, NV. and planned to head west on NV266 into CA to pick up CA268 to Big Pine where I knew there was gas. It's 138 miles total. I was riding a Yamaha Virago 1100 and a guy at the gas stop in Beatty told me there is no gas available on that span. I topped it off and started out with 3.5 gal. Unfortunately I missed a turn just after entering CA and went about 8 miles before discovering the mistake. I rolled into Big Pine, CA on reserve and running on fumes. I put 3.5 gallons of gas in what is supposed to be a 3.5gal tank. Needless to say, I did not attempt any speed records on that segment.

Among the top ten rules of motoring, Never head into the unknown without a full tank of gas. Once in my 50 years of motoring I nearly ran out of gas. That one time was heading north on US 95 in NV. I gassed up in Beatty, NV. and planned to head west on NV266 into CA to pick up CA268 to Big Pine where I knew there was gas. It's 138 miles total. I was riding a Yamaha Virago 1100 and a guy at the gas stop in Beatty told me there is no gas available on that span. I topped it off and started out with 3.5 gal. Unfortunately I missed a turn just after entering CA and went about 8 miles before discovering the mistake. I rolled into Big Pine, CA on reserve and running on fumes. I put 3.5 gallons of gas in what is supposed to be a 3.5gal tank. Needless to say, I did not attempt any speed records on that segment.
I agree, that is one of my rules as well (and I have counceled my boys on the same subject - heading out into the boondocks, fill the gas tank first). Unfortunately, no gas stations at the 101/58 junction so I was rolling the dice. If I was by myself I would have swung a U-turn and looked for a gas station first.

Dan

It depends a lot on your particular sending unit really, On a trip back from MotoGP two years ago I got 68 miles on the counter and only put in 5.8 gallons if I remember correctly. What threw me off was the lower altitude and running 85mph+ on I-10. Last month on a trip through southern Colorado and southern Utah I was getting 54mph riding in the cool dense air and wet roads.

A couple of years ago, I was riding in Newfoundland. I was near Stephenville and was riding to Burgeo to camp at a provincial park. I only had a quarter tank or so but figured I would find gas along the way. I got a short distance down the 100+ mile road from where I started, thought about it and headed 20 miles back to Stephenville for gas. Good thing - there wasn't a gas station along that road and probably no more than a car every 20 minutes.

https://goo.gl/maps/5qXy2dVNMr52

One thing that helps me out when riding into reserve, is to zero out the average mpg readout when the bars start flashing. I know that when that happens I still have about 1 1/2 gallons left before pushing the bike. The average mpg readout gives me a better idea just how far I dare go on my gen 2.

Brodie

🙂

Only time I've ever run out of gas on a bike was my FJ1100. I was actually on my way to the gas station and it sputtered and shut off right as I pulled off the road into the station entrance! Had to push about 100 feet, but it was slightly uphill.

BigOgre posted: +1 on the hose. Threw one of these in the saddlebag a couple of years ago. Small enough not to get in the way of anything.
+1 on the BigOgre bag. Will get one this evening. To be clear here, it's not for me! I worry far more than normal about running out of gas on the Big Grey Girl.

While the Starbucks bag is probably good for a single-use emergency, I'd fret about having it folded for 6 months or longer prior to use.

You know, I miss Don Stanley. With all this talk of siphon hoses, I know he would have some witty retort about you guys being able to suck-start a motorcycle. JSNS...