Soltek HID Light Kit Night Photo's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking I could move my PHID's to use as back up lights on my truck............. Do you think that would get the attention of drivers following me with their high beams on?? :devil: :devil:

I love the amount of light these these Soltek Units throw down the road. Wow! I also think they look very cool on the bike (in spite of their size). The fact that the ignitor (am I using the correct terminology?) is located right on the back of the bulb is another plus.

Question 1: Is there any other "external" electrical boxes that would need to be mounted. And if so how big? I think the answer is yes to this, I poked through the BajaD website and found some docs. I think you still need an external ballast. The ignitor is integrated with the bulb. So do you require special high tension lines between this box (ballast) and the bulb assembly. What I am getting at, is how close does this box need to be to the lights? Never had a HID system so I am not sure of the mechanics\electrics.

Question 2: I assume that since this is a HID system it has the same benefit as other HID systems in terms of electrical consumption. More light for less current than a conventional bulb. So would this unit require the same/more/less current draw than the traditional "Phillips HIDs"?

Question 3: Am I correct in thinking that these Soltek units put out more light than the PHID's?

--------------------

After looking at this light, and its amazing light output, and its size. I thought of an idea for mounting it. Very outside the box thinking and it would require _major_ surgery but might be an interesting solution.

It looks like the Soltek unit is about the same size as one of the FJR's reflector assemblies. So I'm thinking that maybe you could chop the FJR headlight assembly and keep a traditional H4 high/lo on one side, but completely replace the other side with a single Soltek unit. The Soltek unit would sit behind the clear lens of the existing headlight so the outside of the bike would be completely unmodified. (I'm thinking '05 here, since that's what I run. But it would probably also work on the '06's if it worked on the '05s)

What I like is:

• It gives you lots of redundancy (3 independant light circuts hi/lo + hid) so if any one went you would still have several light options so that you dont get stranded with a brunt bulb.
  • It keeps everything mounted inboard. No having to build beefy external brackets to deal with the weight and vibration.
  • These are heavy units, by running only 1 you keep the overall weight gain down.
  • Because its only one HID instead of two the current draw should be less than 2 HID's.
  • And consider that you are only running one H4 instead of two so you actually gain back a bit of current. Actually the total draw of this system should be less than the two H4's you normally run.
The downside would be that the light cutoff for the regular bulbs are designed for the left and right. You would sacrifice visibility on either the left or the right side of the road. A set of conventional fog\driving lights on a set of the FJRGoodies brackets might make up for this and still have a current draw within spitting distance of what was there for the original two H4's.
The only thing that I can't tell from here, is would it actually fit? It looks like it would, but its hard to tell without having one in front of me when I am standing next to the bike.

Anyways, Just thinking out loud...

- Colin

Question 1: Is there any other "external" electrical boxes that would need to be mounted. And if so how big? I think the answer is yes to this, I poked through the BajaD website and found some docs. I think you still need an external ballast. The ignitor is integrated with the bulb. So do you require special high tension lines between this box (ballast) and the bulb assembly. What I am getting at, is how close does this box need to be to the lights? Never had a HID system so I am not sure of the mechanics\electrics.
Nothing else is required on the outside of the lights. The only thing that comes out of the light housing shown is a positive and negative wire.

I would love to get my hands on an extra 2006 headlight assembly and rip it apart and fit those into it. I think that would be incredible!

Golly, I guess you got me there. How about those, but properly aimed? :)
They'd still throw all kinds of glare without the bulb end cap.
There's actually more to it than that. You have to remember that the reflectors are designed to throw light in a specific pattern. Just thowing a little shield on part of the bulb may not give you the effect of creating a better low beam.

With the huge case size on these, why not remove the mirrors altogether, mount the HID's on the existing mirror mounts, and simply glue a mirror to the back of the case? A decent sized convex would make up for adjustability issues, or fab some adjustability into a case mirror mount. Just brainstormin' here........could even drill and mount a short stalk type mirror on the case to regain some lost width. Would provide a strong 2 bolt bracket mount for the lamp, move it back from any w/s interference, provide nice wide beam spread, would protect the lens somewhat through fairing air dispersion. Might not even look too bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
And we could drill and tap the right hand mirror blank. Install some generic mirrors and voila', the Japanese Norge! :yahoo:

This WOULD work except for those who have a ram mont ball in that location. I think that "old school" missors would clear my radar detector mount on the right and my XM radio on the left. As silly as it first sounded.....its workable.

I got it . . . I got it . . . how about a single one on the front of the helmet like a miner's lamp. If you have a mechanical problem at night you just leave your helmet on and you have a work light.

Just don't look at opposing traffic or they will be blinded, cross the center line, and squish you like a bug. :rolleyes:

With the huge case size on these, why not remove the mirrors altogether, mount the HID's on the existing mirror mounts, and simply glue a mirror to the back of the case? A decent sized convex would make up for adjustability issues, or fab some adjustability into a case mirror mount. Just brainstormin' here........could even drill and mount a short stalk type mirror on the case to regain some lost width. Would provide a strong 2 bolt bracket mount for the lamp, move it back from any w/s interference, provide nice wide beam spread, would protect the lens somewhat through fairing air dispersion. Might not even look too bad.
Radman, that's actually a very good idea .. I like the way you think !

You guys are trippin....is runway 24 niner clear for landing? And forrest rats, grab your children. PM. <>< :pilot: :laughingsmiley:

And we could drill and tap the right hand mirror blank. Install some generic mirrors and voila', the Japanese Norge! :yahoo:
This WOULD work except for those who have a ram mont ball in that location. I think that "old school" missors would clear my radar detector mount on the right and my XM radio on the left. As silly as it first sounded.....its workable.
Ramball? I'm talking about the original side mounted mirrors, not the unused lever mirror mounts.

Ramball? I'm talking about the original side mounted mirrors, not the unused lever mirror mounts.
And he's talking about putting some old school mirrors on the handlebars instead of gluing them to the back of the Soltek units. Only problem is, if you drop the bike, there goes $400.00 worth of bling!

And he's talking about putting some old school mirrors on the handlebars instead of gluing them to the back of the Soltek units. Only problem is, if you drop the bike, there goes $400.00 worth of bling!
Ah, of course. As to the damage potential, I've yet to see a FJR laid down where any aux light survived the crunch, so I don't know that any mount is safer.

Were any covers included or available? Skyway could get some red ones made up, yeah?
Bob, just for you I'm having a set of cover sewn for the Solteks. MM2 is thinking one blue and one red, that should get the cagers out of the fast lane!! :D

No comment on what the PO-lice might think about it? :huh: