Symax helmet owners read !

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ride a Symax locally and full face on trips. IIRC the one negative to the Symax is that the chinbar locking pins are PLASTIC where Nolan uses steel.
I've been wearing a Symax 3 yrs now; the pins are steel, FWIW. After reading the original thread, I put mine on, secured the chinstrap, opened the chinbar and tried to force it off my head/rotate it off, etc.....couldn't do it. Of course, that hardly duplicates forces encountered in a collision. And therein lies the mystery: forces seen in motor vehicle collisions and the results from same seem to sometimes defy the laws of physics. A few yrs. back a police officer I knew was riding with another friend, both on sportbikes; the off-duty cop went into a turn too hot, hopped a curb & hit a metal speed limit sign; somehow the sign got under his full face, scalped him; helmet came off in the process, (was damaged but intact) chinstrap still intact, fastened. :bigeyes:

As far as Snell goes, I called them before buying the Symax and asked why they hadn't been tested; guy tells me 'because they hadn't gotten around to it' and that they 'didn't see any inherent problems with the design...' <_<

All any of us can do is lessen our risk by wearing protective gear, making wise choices when riding and being prepared for the unexpected....

As far as Snell goes, I called them before buying the Symax and asked why they hadn't been tested; guy tells me 'because they hadn't gotten around to it' and that they 'didn't see any inherent problems with the design...' <_<
From the SNELL site,

Why won't Snell certify some types of helmets like flip up front designs?    Snell does not dismiss out of hand any helmet design that strays from the conventional.  Snell does not point out any design specifications other than general requirements in our standards.  We are however, always concerned with innovations and new designs that may effect the helmet's ability to protect the wearer, or in some cases the helmets potential to cause injury.  At present the Foundation has not had the opportunity to test any of the flip up front type helmets for certification.  We do not find any fault with these designs as long as they are used according to the manufacturers instructions and meet all of the requirements of the standard.  We will also certify any size of helmet as long as it meets the same requirements as any other Snell certified helmet.

I have read that the knock on some of these flip-up helmets (and I do believe that included the Sy-Max) is that some of the mechanisms were made of plastic. Some manufacturers use alloys. It's a balance between weight and strength, I guess.

Motorcyclist mag did a few reviews on helmets a couple of months ago that

might be of help.

I hope you get better soon buddy....

I am always afraid and planning an escape route on a quick stop...

I usually just start off to the right of the car in front of me, so they can hit

them instead of me.. and hope I don't collect up in the aftermath...

saved my butt 2 times already, the car in front of me got hit... phewww

Im so sorry to hear about the helmet not staying closed, I'll bet there is

something that sy-max should be answering to on that one...

DOT & NTSB should be informed about this as well...

Get well soon !!!!

Warp

The jackass who hit him also had suspended/or revoked license and no insurance I believe, saw it on the news the other day here. There was a TV crew there and they caught it right after it happend, the car impaling the bike down the median and Bill crawling for his life out of the traffic onto the grass. I wondered what happend to his helmet. I have a Symax and will be replacing it soon on general principles.....

John

I wonder, was his helmet open? My Schuberth operating instructions, and HJC flip front (if I rememmber right) both say NEVER ride with front open.
Um...read what Highlander said "It had been fully closed and buckled up" Full face helmets are better IMOH because there is no real weak link in overall structural damage on impact. Of course they are only rated at about 25kph anyway so anything over that and it protects you is a bonus.
Shucks, I'm sorry i missed that.

having both flip up and full face helmets, I am in line with Fieldsher. I ride shorter rides with flip and longer, but also more aggressive rides with the full. This doesn't really make a lot of sense because the short, traffic laden rides I take to work are the most dangerous. Oh well...

As far as being rear ended goes, lane sharing place is the place to be. In this case, at 45mph, it is theoretically, or via the grape-vine illegal to lane share even in California. However, being lined up to lane share could have taken him out of the car's path.

I would line up for it whether I was in a state where it is legal, or not. I don't figure too many cops would mind if you lane shared to avoid a rear ender. If they do, I'd take the ticket.

I had an el cheapo Zeus flip front survive a 55 MPH get off. How ever I did spend the entire skid on the pavement. I replaced it with a Nolan flip front.

208739Dsc00012.jpg