Tail Bag option for solo riding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking that bag in place of rear seat would be great with a Rick Mayer solo rider seat!

Right now I have the smaller Cortech sport tail bag that sits back there all the time. Might as well remove the rear seat and add that bag, have more room and same look.

Steve

I've used a tailbag for quite a while now. Carrying my laptop, files, extra gloves...

I bungied it under the passenger seat;

DSCN2038.jpg

DSCN2040.jpg

I got in on the SHAD topcase deal... Can't believe I've gone on this long without it!

I always hated the look but the functionality is amazing!

Holds 2 helmets,

DSCN2105.jpg

Doesn't look too obnoxious...

Img0006.jpg

I like it!

Img0007.jpg

Plus it pops right off and I can put the tailbag back on. :thumbsup:

Sorry about the indoor shots, 60 degrees yesterday (I was riding) 27f today rain,sleet, snow later....

I added this Farkle to my FJR just about an hour ago, for the most part following Bunkers instructions. Some things I changed were that I did not use the accorn nuts Bunker did. I will be putting my laptop in the rig, so I was a little worried about the points of the accorn cracking the casing of my computer. Also, the local hardware store didn't have the accorns anyway. I used standard nuts with the nylon inserets. This provided more than enough resistance to torque everything down. I had some extra black floor mats from a car I used to have, so I cut one of them to fit inside the bag, over the exposed nuts and bolts. This just adds one more layer of padding for the computer.

One large problem this farkle presents for me is that it is EXTREMELY difficult to get the Corbin front seat I have on the bike off and even more so on, without removing the rig. SinceI have my Slime air pump under the front seat, this means that if I need to get under the front seat, it will add another 10 minutes on to the process.

I'm looking forward to seeing how well this works for my daily commuting. I tend to need a lot of stuuf when I have to visit job sites for my work, so additional storage space will be nice.

FWIW, I have a left-over mud flap that is the PERFECT width if anyone wants it. I will send it to you for the cost of shipping. If it wasn't the perfect width, I wouldn't offer, but I only had the cut the length. :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys. If we added some non scratch no slip material to the underside of the pockets, would this be of benefit? Any suggestion for this or any of our products would be appreciated.

Just tried fitting my CL150 on the bike (06) and it does fit. Takes a little work and pushing in the right places but it will sit down in the guard rail that wraps around the back seat even with the extra pockets on the outside of this model (not the same one Bunker has). Now having said that, I don't plan on removing the seat and mounting the bag permanently. For me, I think I will like the convenience of being able to remove it and all the tethers that came with it should work great (as in, no paint will be scratched). If anyone wants to see this on the bike with the seat on, lemme know and I'll post some pics.
The space this bag is gonna free up from the saddlebags is going to be pretty significant. If packed properly and efficiently, this just might save me from having to spend hundreds on a trunk. I'll know for sure after the SFO Spring Fling. And that frees up those hundreds for a new GPS!!! yeah daddy! B)
Would appreciate Pics please, I just got my CL delivered today.

Just tried fitting my CL150 on the bike (06) and it does fit. Takes a little work and pushing in the right places but it will sit down in the guard rail that wraps around the back seat even with the extra pockets on the outside of this model (not the same one Bunker has). Now having said that, I don't plan on removing the seat and mounting the bag permanently. For me, I think I will like the convenience of being able to remove it and all the tethers that came with it should work great (as in, no paint will be scratched). If anyone wants to see this on the bike with the seat on, lemme know and I'll post some pics.
The space this bag is gonna free up from the saddlebags is going to be pretty significant. If packed properly and efficiently, this just might save me from having to spend hundreds on a trunk. I'll know for sure after the SFO Spring Fling. And that frees up those hundreds for a new GPS!!! yeah daddy! B)
Would appreciate Pics please, I just got my CL delivered today.
My pics are on page 3 of this thread. I will finally be using it Friday for the first time when I head out for SFO. I'm really looking forward to using it but I haven't done the rear seat mod that this thread was really about. I'll be keeping an eye on the paint job and if those bungy's rubbing will cause any damage to the paint.

I found yet another great thing about this farkle. The CL is just large enough for me to fit my Aerostich suit in. I can CRAM it into on of the side bags, but I am always worried about damaging one of the hinges. Worst case here is that I blow out the zipper, which is a much less expensive problem to deal with.

CL was too big to just fit over the passenger saddle, so I opted for the Cortech:

(Link to prior post with pictures) Clicky

Search for "Cortech Tail bag setup" in the bin.

Has anyone tried mounting a CL-150 in the same manner as shown in the original pics Bunker posted? I can get a CL-150 for really cheap, and was thinking about trying to gain a little more room with the side pockets, but I am worried about it rubbing the paint off in area.

There must be more room on the '06 because I just measured the rear on my '03 and I don't see how this bag will fit. I wish it would, it looks like the perfect set up. B)

That's because it won't fit on pre-'06 models...

Just got mine yesterday and test fit it this AM. No worky. I see two problems, one mine and one the design of the aft section of the bike.

1) The BMS front seat I have is lifted up and back and thus, makes a serious intrusion into the tail bags 'space' - prolly about 3" worth. This forces it even further back into the 2nd problem...

2) There is simply not enough width for the back to tuck in between the body work. If left atop said bodywork, the constant vibes from riding would wear through the paint, tout de suite.

Now, I cannot ascertain from my set-up how badly my seat is affecting the overall fit, so you pre-'06 owners take your own shot at this, but I no tink she's agonna fly.

For sale: Nelson-Rigg CL100 Tail Bag. Brand new, still in wrappings. Shipped via ground to anywhere in the lower 48. First 57 samolians takes it.
WILL YOU ACCEPT A PAYMENT THRU PAYPAL? IF SO, IT'S MINE. PHIL

Ummm..Phil, did you look at the dates from the quote? I KNOW for an absolute fact that the bag Two Wheel Nut was selling is no longer available, because it has resided on the back of my bike for several months. Sorry to take the wind out of your sails, but the good news is that I think this is a great farkle. I haven't taken the bag off of the back of the bike for months.

Ummm..Phil, did you look at the dates from the quote? I KNOW for an absolute fact that the bag Two Wheel Nut was selling is no longer available, because it has resided on the back of my bike for several months. Sorry to take the wind out of your sails, but the good news is that I think this is a great farkle. I haven't taken the bag off of the back of the bike for months.
Yeah, after I sent it, I looked again and thought "Dumbass, that was a year ago." I hoped nobody else would pay attention to my pointless raving. Now I'm looking on E-Bay for one. I have a similar unit which is much smaller, attached to top of pillion, but since my Bride will not Ride, I may as well dispense with the buddy seat for a bigger one. Want to travel to Big Bend Nat'l. Park before Christmas, but didn't want to spend the big bucks for a hard tail bag. This is a great idea, and certainly beats the practicality of the Corbin Smuggler.

Thanks. pb

Phil you might give the luggage locker a try. I had it on my 03 and it worked great and went onb and off in seconds.

BTW are you in my area we need to ride sometime.

Glenn

PS I won't tell anyone you were trying to buy something from a year ago. LOL

Phil you might give the luggage locker a try. I had it on my 03 and it worked great and went onb and off in seconds.

BTW are you in my area we need to ride sometime.

Glenn -

I live on the banks of lovely Lake Eufaula, 8 miles east of the town of Eufaula. Holler if you are in the vicinity. It's only about 150 miles from OKC. We can ride the Talimena Trail, or western Arkansas. pb

Yer right, Calabash. It still looks great on your scooter.
The only part of mine that is starting to show a little wear is the fabric holding the zippers to the bag itself. I STUFF my one piece Aerostich into the bag a lot of the time, so I am a little worried about blowing a zipper out one of these days. Hence my interest in seeing if a CL-150 will work without screwing up the paint.

Has anyone tried mounting a CL-150 in the same manner as shown in the original pics Bunker posted? I can get a CL-150 for really cheap, and was thinking about trying to gain a little more room with the side pockets, but I am worried about it rubbing the paint off in area.
Trigger,

I have the 150 but use it on the passenger seat. Today I removed the rear seat and stuck the 150 in the "Bucker position". It's tight and you would need to protect the paint in spots but the side pockets clear. The biggest drawback to me would be the difficulty in expanding the bag. It can be done before you make the final mount (as per fjrchick) but as she stated, it wobbles around unless there is something inside to support it. I still like it mounted on the seat though I agree it looks much better lower.

Capt. Bob