Tankbags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard from Bagster they are coming out with a new bag in January. It's supposed to be bigger than the "city" but smaller than the "medea." The latter seemed to rub both my bars and legs (a bit too big).

Get the SW Motech gas cap latch mechanism. It's smaller, less intrusive when not in use, and it's made of metal.

The Mo-tech system looks very interesting... thinking about trying this one. Anyone else have experience with it? preferred bag?

I have the SW Motech "engage sport" bag. Mechanism works well. Bag is fairly large. Requires careful location of mount in order to clear the handle bars and not crowd the rider. I don't think it would work with bar risers that move the bars back. Generally happy with it. It did sag somewhat with some use and it does lightly touch the tank in the rear but I put on a Mag Knight tank bag protector under the tank so it is not an issue. Gas ups are real easy. Just unclip and go.
Please post a picture of this setup. I am thinking of going with the Engage-XL bag which is a bit larger (but a different profile) than the Engage-Sport bag but I can't find a pic of what it would look like mounted on an FJR.

Get the SW Motech gas cap latch mechanism. It's smaller, less intrusive when not in use, and it's made of metal.

The Mo-tech system looks very interesting... thinking about trying this one. Anyone else have experience with it? preferred bag?

I have the SW Motech "engage sport" bag. Mechanism works well. Bag is fairly large. Requires careful location of mount in order to clear the handle bars and not crowd the rider. I don't think it would work with bar risers that move the bars back. Generally happy with it. It did sag somewhat with some use and it does lightly touch the tank in the rear but I put on a Mag Knight tank bag protector under the tank so it is not an issue. Gas ups are real easy. Just unclip and go.
Please post a picture of this setup. I am thinking of going with the Engage-XL bag which is a bit larger (but a different profile) than the Engage-Sport bag but I can't find a pic of what it would look like mounted on an FJR.
Go for the XL. I have sport (only one available at time) and was disappointed in the interior size. The mounting ring takes up space as it indents into base.Baseball hat, windshield cleaner, spare glasses and a tire gauge fill it up pretty quick. That being said I was very happy with ease of mounting and removal, the zippers, map case (best I ever used) and overall quality of the bag. Mine did droop in the back but has not damaged the paint. Sorry no pic's to post today maybe tomorrow.

There's a strap mounted bag on by 2000' Buell S3. It says "Eclipse" on the side pockets. But that's not the manufacture name. I've had it about 6 years and it has served well. I will say that the material construction is mediocre. Here's the rating:

1-ease of getting to fuel cap.....I think it's very easy considering it's a strap mount

2-marring fuel tank........ No marring after 6 years. I do periodically go over the bike with 3M's professional machine polish

3-visability of gauges......great

4-storage capacity.......it's a big bag

5-mounting.......secure & easy

On the FJR I use a Dowco #5011900 Deluxe Sport Bag ($59.95). This is a magnetic bag and the bag material and assembly quality is outstanding. In fact, after looking for a nice bag for the FJR I was very surprised to find such a nice bag for $60!

1-ease of getting to fuel cap......easier than a strap mount, but should be compared to other mag mounts

2-marring fuel tank......after 6 months none noticeable

3-visability of gauges.....no problem

4-storage capacity......smaller than many but holds what I need for my daily work commute (dress shoes, lunch, wallet, cell phone, spare gloves, etc)

5-mounting.........what's to say, it's magnetic

I've been using a Nelson Riggs expandable clip type tank bag with a clip on/off top map pocket for the last 5 years with no problems....easy access for fueling with a nice soft but durable underpad that hasn't scuffed the tank yet....

Go for the XL. I have sport (only one available at time) and was disappointed in the interior size. The mounting ring takes up space as it indents into base.Baseball hat, windshield cleaner, spare glasses and a tire gauge fill it up pretty quick. That being said I was very happy with ease of mounting and removal, the zippers, map case (best I ever used) and overall quality of the bag. Mine did droop in the back but has not damaged the paint. Sorry no pic's to post today maybe tomorrow.
I'll wait for the pic. Today I called TwistedThrottle and they suggested the Trial-QL bag which is a bit larger and would be fine on the FJR but would probably obscure my look at the dashpanel on my 600.

I'll wait for the pic. Today I called TwistedThrottle and they suggested the Trial-QL bag which is a bit larger and would be fine on the FJR but would probably obscure my look at the dashpanel on my 600.

I have the Engage Not the XL just regular Engage here are some pics

IMGP0454.jpg

IMGP0452.jpg

IMGP0451.jpg

IMGP0450.jpg

I am pretty happy with this setup it is very quick to remove and reinstall. The map pocket is perfect size and I like the smaller bag . It hold what I need.