Texas FJR Riders Fun Routes???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR-RemingtonRider

Their Sunset / My Sunrise
Reaction score
As always while looking through the threads, I often become jealous of some of the "out of state of Texas" riders, because they seem to put together rides and show some pics of their twisties and valleys and mountain regions. Tonight, I just got plum agitated, why don't anyone from the 4th largest city in the U.S. post up some group rides, gosh darn-it, we can do it. What is the problem....

Aaahhh!!! There in lies, the answer.

Texas the one of the largest state in the union and Houston, being the 4th largest city; well it's a good statistic, however when it comes to MC riding Super Sport Touring Riding, we probably have some of the least twisty roads I know. Not speaking of the Hill Country, just around Houston. You have to travel North of course, to the rural counties to do some riding, and there aren't that many twisty roads around. Everything is flat and I suppose since we pride our state on everything being big, then they just plowed right through, not making any twisty snake roads. And growing up around them counties, you get too spirited around them turn, and you'll run up the rear of Farmer Johnny and his Giant Tractor, cruising down the road, pulling a hay bailer... :eek: :eek:

I will be on a mission this March and April, to try and plot some routes to share on the forum.

If there are some guys who have plotted some good routes, please share because I wanna travel some different roads other than freeways this season....however, we probably have more State Trooper's than any State around, so spirited may not last too long. Any thing that twists, don't twist for long; everything just straight and flat...Heck, if I was making a wagon trail...way back when, It would have been a straight line too.

That being said, cruiser riders love the Texas roads.

Guess we'll just have to be happy that were the greatest State in the Union without great 'Super Sport Touring Roads'.

Been riding around here for a number of years, both on the West side and now up North. The only sections of road with any curves are

1) "Road racer road" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: which is a series three or four consecutive curves out by San Felipe, I think it's FM 1458. Lots of LEO coverage

2) What Sparky and I call "The Tail of the Kitty" which is FM 3090 near Anderson. The "loop" would be FM 149 from Montgomery up to Anderson, then FM 244 from Anderson to FM 3090, turn left (west). Then either back to Anderson or follow 3090 on thru to Navasota for lunch at the Fuel Stop Diner. Alternatively, you can continue on north to the Liberty Roadhouse on 244 just north or SR-30 and watch all the Hardley riders drink breakfast beers.

And that's about it......

Cant figure out what your complaining about...you're only 4 hours away from some of the best roads in the country! Talking about hill country, twisted sisters, 335/336/337. I have to ride 8 hours to get there, so I only go about 4 times a year, but damn, if'n I was a houstonian, I'd be there every other weekend!

Cant figure out what your complaining about...you're only 4 hours away from some of the best roads in the country! Talking about hill country, twisted sisters, 335/336/337. I have to ride 8 hours to get there, so I only go about 4 times a year, but damn, if'n I was a houstonian, I'd be there every other weekend!
+1

Last thing I heard about riding in Texas is there was two great times: 1) when entering Texas and 2) when leaving! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Last thing I heard about San Francisco was that it was known for two things: 1) the lack of steers and 2) the abundance of, well, you know... :biggrinsmiley:

I will be on a mission this March and April, to try and plot some routes to share on the forum. If there are some guys who have plotted some good routes, please share because I wanna travel some different roads other than freeways this season....

Any thing that twists,

Guess we'll just have to be happy that were the greatest State in the Union
All around the 'Big Thicket' area...? :huh: :)

+1

Went last year for the first time, doing a repeat performance in mid-April. Just slow down for cattle guards on 336.

Also look into https://www.openroadjourney.com/roads/Texas.asp

Last edited by a moderator:

+1

Went last year for the first time, doing a repeat performance in mid-April. Just slow down for cattle guards on 336.

If you're there on the weekend of the 17th, keep an eye out for a '08 Feejer...I'll be there from Thurs thru Sunday for our annual Oilmans Invitational Hill Country Ride in Bandera (Mansfield Park).

+1

If you're there on the weekend of the 17th, keep an eye out for a '08 Feejer...I'll be there from Thurs thru Sunday for our annual Oilmans Invitational Hill Country Ride in Bandera (Mansfield Park).

Awesome! Our ride day is Saturday so I will be looking.

+1

Awesome! Our ride day is Saturday so I will be looking.
So true, about The Hill Country....ur, well mentioned that exception in the initial post. Wanted to do the ORJ hill country ride last year, but conflicting schedules.

Looking now for something that can be done in a day and come home without passing out......Know that area well around Grimes County BwanaDik, You get the picture.

Hill Country definitely on the horizon this year, at least twice.

Gonna head down from Utah in a week and a half to Austin. The 3's are on the agenda, and the Lone Star Museum. :clapping:

Only there for 3 days so any must sees are welcome. Don't have a hotel yet, thinking downtown Austin.

Gonna head down from Utah in a week and a half to Austin. The 3's are on the agenda, and the Lone Star Museum. :clapping:
Only there for 3 days so any must sees are welcome. Don't have a hotel yet, thinking downtown Austin.
There's a little loop south of I-10 a few miles west of town that was fun. It's only ~12 miles, so good idea to ride it in both directions for a little variety. I'll have to look for specifics, but I remember there is a historical marker along the route for one of the Texas revolution battles it that sparks anyone's memory.

highway 87 north of 255,fm1414,fm2626,all around toledo bend and sam rayburn lakes,lots of little twisty fm roads in that area.check out two wheeled texans.im from the beaumont area and will be ready to do some rides as soon as i get a day off.

After doing the Talimena and other parts of AR first, I was pleasantly surprised how good the 3 Sisters were in the hill country. I actually enjoyed it more but it was with my wife and 2 friends vs solo in AR. Sometimes the people you share it with make a good trip better.

After doing the Talimena and other parts of AR first, I was pleasantly surprised how good the 3 Sisters were in the hill country. I actually enjoyed it more but it was with my wife and 2 friends vs solo in AR. Sometimes the people you share it with make a good trip better.
You enjoyed Texas more than Arkansas?

Thems must be some good roads then! :clapping:

Did you get up into AR rt 16, 123, 341, 14. 9 and 27?

Last edited by a moderator:
My advise.... check your GPS get some maps.... look for the curves and stay off the interstates.

I don't like to publish my secret fun roads. Example: I love Ride Texas Magazine but every time they come out with a list of good roads, on weekends those roads become a parade ground for the seemingly endless rolling roadblock of loud-piped "life-savers" on thier v-twin boat anchors.