The Big FJR Tire Poll

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My primary criteria for choosing a favorite is

• Availability (whatever my local shop has)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted for Pirelli Angels because they are actually my favorite tires, but I use just as many PR2s as Angels because the PR2s last a lot longer and I like to take long rides that I would not be able to complete on a set of Angels.

FWIW, I'm on my 3rd PR2 front. I was one of the "Me Too" guys back in '05 or so when the Avon Storm hit the streets. But when the PR2 came out and everyone was raving about them, not being a brand-conscious rider, I thought I give 'em a try.

13k miles on my first front PR2...14k on my second. My 3rd is only about 2 months old, but even the mold-marks on the carcass haven't even worn off yet.

Didn't get quite the service out of the Avons, and did have some "wobble" issues when they were good and worn, but the two sets I ran DID last 10.5k for one, 12.3k for the other.

If there were no PR2s, I'd probably be back on Storms.

I'm no peg-grinder, and my chicken strips run completely across the tread, so mileage to me is more important than "living on the edge" of traction.

Fred, you don't really need a poll to know that most are running PR2s. While at CFR this year Ionbeam pointed out there he and I had the only two FJRs not wearing PR2s when we first met up with the crowd north of the border.

Sure, I know that.

All you keep hearing is people saying how bad they suck at this or that, how they scallop and make noise, how they're too hard in the middle, or too soft on the sides.

And yet, the poll (and looking around at bikes in a parking lot) says they are the favorite of the vast majority ~ 65% of FJR owners.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put down PR2s in the poll above...however...

...this poll is hard for me to answer...I put down PR2s because that is what I will typically use on longer trips...because that is what I will typically do on my FJR. I rode on PR2s for my long trip out to Kali. If I have a trip over 5k miles...I will use a PR2.

However, if I ever get a chance in the future to just rip around on the twisties without taking a long trip...I would put a RS rear on and a ____ front tire (read stickier-brand, unknown at this point). I love that the RS is so much stickier than the PR2...(I hate that the RS is such a b!tch to put on).

Maybe someday soon I will move to a place where you don't have to take a long weekend just to get a decent amount of twisties in a day's ride.

Oh yeah, I am. But not soon enough.

Therefore, my answer to the poll above is really for now...PR2s....BUT....

I took off a set of perfectly good PR2 with 6K miles before a road trip that totaled 7458 miles. After seeing the wear on the new ones, I think I could have left the old ones on and made it, but I just didn't want to deal with the potential tire change just short of arriving home. So the take-offs are waiting for the "new" tires to wear out.

Thanks for the poll Fred.

I have had PR2's front and rear with a B spec rear for a year and 7500 miles. Since the dealer hosed the powder coat on the rear rim, another bad experience to go only this far, the front tire is wearing weird and has made considerable road noise since day one.The wear pattern is due to the running and is mostly a annoyance noise . I received today a new PR3 and when I get my tire tools,due to the yammie dealer mentioned sorta above, I will replace the ugly-noisy-annoying tire. The rear tire didn't flatten out like the two sets of Storms I have had prior to these.I just chalked the Michelin as a bad built tire so otherwise the poll looks like they are the winner overall,I hope the PR3 works out for me and hope the series is compatible .

This is a really interesting subject to me, being new to the FJR. I started a 900 mile-plus trip from home to Portland Oregon on my OEM BT021s with about 4K on them with little wear showing. After the first 300 miles, my rear tire was destroyed with a piece of metal, so I had a Pirelli Angel installed. I'd read on this forum that some were getting 8-10K on them, so I went with that in mind. By the time I reached Portland (another 500 miles) the front BT021 was severely cupped, so I had another Angel installed. Gotta say, the improvement in handling was amazing, even in my limited experience. I'm now hearing that the Angels are pretty short-lived, too. Sheesh, at this rate I"ll be replacing tires every month.

Interesting subject timing-wise. I've got nearly 10K on my Angel STs. They've been great, but too much straight-line freeway commuting. Handling has fallen way off the last 1K because they're squared-up. I've used many combos with 2 FJRs & 85K or so total mileage. Angel STs have been my favorite - good stick, good wear. But I have not tried Z8's, RoadSmarts or the new PR3. PR2s seem popular here but I had them on a Blackbird & they felt greasy to the point of "no thanks." My goal is the best stick/feel I can get & still do ~10K which is about once a year tire change. Is there a sport-touring tire currently out there that is the acknowledged "stickiest?"

Probably order up a set of Angel STs again.

Edit: OK, so I lied - a little more research & read some good things on Z8s and decided to try a pair.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put down PR2s in the poll above...however...

...this poll is hard for me to answer...I put down PR2s because that is what I will typically use on longer trips...because that is what I will typically do on my FJR. I rode on PR2s for my long trip out to Kali. If I have a trip over 5k miles...I will use a PR2.

However, if I ever get a chance in the future to just rip around on the twisties without taking a long trip...I would put a RS rear on and a ____ front tire (read stickier-brand, unknown at this point). I love that the RS is so much stickier than the PR2...(I hate that the RS is such a b!tch to put on).

Maybe someday soon I will move to a place where you don't have to take a long weekend just to get a decent amount of twisties in a day's ride.

Oh yeah, I am. But not soon enough.

Therefore, my answer to the poll above is really for now...PR2s....BUT....
I had RS's on last and only got 5k mi out of them. Good grip but only 5k, and the front sidewalls went first this time. I was really expecting more from them based on others experience.

Had BT23's before that and only got 5k out of them. Avon Storms before that were only good for 6-7k.

That being said, while i would like better mileage out of tires I can't say I work at it, and the roads I like the most in the mountains around here tear tires up. It's like riding on a cheese grater sometimes.

I have also been riding 2 up and a full load for at least 40% of the time. That is probably the main reason for low mileage. I expect most of you that are getting the good mileage out of these tires are riding solo with a lighter load and on good pavement.

I just put PR3's on her, road around in the pouring rain in the mountains last weekend and was very impressed. I hope to get better than 7k out of these. :clapping:

I voted for the PR2's which so far IME seem to be the best. To be honest I'm still experimenting. My PR2 rear with 9400 miles on it still had good tread but I changed it before SW-FOG as I expected to put ~6K miles (actual 5400) and didn't want to chance having to change it out on the road. My front is still pretty good but getting cupped after almost 15K miles; I'll change it this week before my Void rally outing.

Before SW-FOG I mounted an original PR rear and it has held up great with lots of tread left. You read here different riders mileage figures, and that's a good guideline, butt you need to try something out for yourself as everyone is different. My primary focus is LD longevity so I tend to get more miles out of them than those that push harder and/or live in "curvier" areas of the country.

The original PR's are priced right at many places as are the Conti Motions which I'm going to try as well. Then I'll know how they wear on my bike with me riding it....

I need a spare set of wheels!

Your comparisons, polls, and chatter about this subject are all futile. I find your lack of faith... disturbing. It's only a matter of time until you see the light of the dark side. However, I'm getting pretty good mileage out of my front PR2...

Gary

darksider #44
... the Cultists of the FJR Car Tire. Eric, Bustanut joker, FJRob1300, Big-D, RadioHowie, Gary, Ray, FJRONAMISSION Brian and so many others: Cat Blood Drinking, Wife Swapping and Satanic Devil Worshiping Bastards, every single one of them.
Hey Beer,

The alliance... will die. You and all your friends cannot long resist the power of the darkside. I can feel your anger. Take your weapon and strike me down with all of your hatred and your journey towards the dark side will be complete!

Gary

darksider #44

Your comparisons, polls, and chatter about this subject are all futile. I find your lack of faith... disturbing. It's only a matter of time until you see the light of the dark side. However, I'm getting pretty good mileage out of my front PR2...

Gary

darksider #44
... the Cultists of the FJR Car Tire. Eric, Bustanut joker, FJRob1300, Big-D, RadioHowie, Gary, Ray, FJRONAMISSION Brian and so many others: Cat Blood Drinking, Wife Swapping and Satanic Devil Worshiping Bastards, every single one of them.
Hey Beer,

The alliance... will die. You and all your friends cannot long resist the power of the darkside. I can feel your anger. Take your weapon and strike me down with all of your hatred and your journey towards the dark side will be complete!

Gary

darksider #44
reality_hits_you_hard_bro_t_shirt-p235864324571919078z7k99_380.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts