The Evil that is 13....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got 11,500 out of the OEM Z6s that came on my 09 and still had a bit left on the rear when I switched to the Z8s. On the 09 Sport mode and Touring mode is controlled by the right hand.
rolleyes.gif

On the 09 Sport mode and Touring mode is controlled by the right hand.
rolleyes.gif
Trust me, once you have owned and ridden both Gen III and pre-GenIII FJR's, you'll know that there is no "Touring" mode on pre-Gen III bikes, regardless of your throttle hand discipline.
wink.png

The Bridgestone BT023 continues to impress, but it is clearly worn at 9200 miles. I have never, EVER had any rear FJR1300 tire last 9200 miles.. that there is still a noteworthy amount of tread left on the rear....

9000RearBT023.jpg

The front is also severely worn at 9200 miles, but still serviceable...

9000frontBT023.jpg

All the above happy horseshit having been said.... these tires may rock in the hot and dry, but they suck moist ass when it is wet, or even running over painted lines. I have been somewhat amazed at their properties (for factory tires), still and all... I am glad to mount up fresh Avon Storms after this next weekend's run to Nevada...

On the 09 Sport mode and Touring mode is controlled by the right hand.
rolleyes.gif
Trust me, once you have owned and ridden both Gen III and pre-GenIII FJR's, you'll know that there is no "Touring" mode on pre-Gen III bikes, regardless of your throttle hand discipline.
wink.png

The Bridgestone BT023 continues to impress, but it is clearly worn at 9200 miles. I have never, EVER had any rear FJR1300 tire last 9200 miles.. that there is still a noteworthy amount of tread left on the rear....

9000RearBT023.jpg

The front is also severely worn at 9200 miles, but still serviceable...

9000frontBT023.jpg

All the above happy horseshit having been said.... these tires may rock in the hot and dry, but they suck moist ass when it is wet, or even running over painted lines. I have been somewhat amazed at their properties (for factory tires), still and all... I am glad to mount up fresh Avon Storms after this next weekend's run to Nevada...
Wow! 9300 miles? I have been riding the Tenere and saving the FJR tires for Septembers CFO / EOM trip. I guess I can take the FJR out a little more with out worry of coming up short on the September trip.

Wow! 9300 miles? I have been riding the Tenere and saving the FJR tires for Septembers CFO / EOM trip. I guess I can take the FJR out a little more with out worry of coming up short on the September trip.
Do note that all but maybe 800 miles of these 9200-mile tires have been in "Touring" mode... I have no doubt leaving it in Sport mode would have resulted in the more classic 6K rear tire tread life.

I think I've ridden my bike in Sport mode maybe 150 feet since I got it. I'm enjoying the smoothness of Touring mode to much after the light switch throttle on my Gen1.

That being said, I always notice when I twist the grip to pass with the cruise control engaged theirs a definite 1-2 second lag before the command to accelerate gets rung down to the engine room.

I think I've ridden my bike in Sport mode maybe 150 feet since I got it. I'm enjoying the smoothness of Touring mode to much after the light switch throttle on my Gen1.
That being said, I always notice when I twist the grip to pass with the cruise control engaged theirs a definite 1-2 second lag before the command to accelerate gets rung down to the engine room.
C,mon Steve...I bet it isn't a full second. I like the S mode in the twisties when transitoining from braking back to throttle.

C,mon Steve...I bet it isn't a full second. I like the S mode in the twisties when transitoining from braking back to throttle.
Okay okay, lets call it a half second. But it is noticeable. Good trade though, the cruise is damn near perfect. Going up and down hills (those we have!) around here nets 1 KILOMETER an hour fluctuation. So, accurate to within a half mile/hour! Thats better than my car.

Twisties? Closest I get to twisties around here are on/off ramps. So Jim and I (remember Jim with the red VFR 1200 at the Ramble?) are headed down to WV/VA and maybe TN in a few weeks. Were not basing it out of anywhere, just ride and find a room for the night somewhere. Find out how the 13 handles compared to my Cogent/Ohlins modified Gen 1. The funny bit is Jim is getting married the weekend before. I'm guessing the life insurance policies are already updated :D

Okay okay, lets call it a half second. But it is noticeable. Good trade though, the cruise is damn near perfect. Going up and down hills (those we have!) around here nets 1 KILOMETER an hour fluctuation. So, accurate to within a half mile/hour! Thats better than my car.

Twisties? Closest I get to twisties around here are on/off ramps. So Jim and I (remember Jim with the red VFR 1200 at the Ramble?) are headed down to WV/VA and maybe TN in a few weeks. Were not basing it out of anywhere, just ride and find a room for the night somewhere. Find out how the 13 handles compared to my Cogent/Ohlins modified Gen 1. The funny bit is Jim is getting married the weekend before. I'm guessing the life insurance policies are already updated
biggrin.png
I think you'll find the '13 suspention is ok for the first 15-20K miles, it is for me anyway. After that I'm sure it will need the (rebuildable) after market suspenders, just like my previous FJR's. Have fun in WV/V and TN and tell Jim to take it easy so you can keep up with him...
rolleyes.gif

I tend to use the T mode in city stop and go traffic or highway driving. S mode for twisties.

I tend to use the T mode in city stop and go traffic or highway driving. S mode for twisties.

Exactly. I have gone to adopting this technique as a means to get the best of both worlds... awesome tread-life, yet still have the max performance when needed.
punk.gif

After 10,323 miles, I believe I am done with these factory BT-023s.... though I am just into indicator bands on the rear...

... this front is a bit, um, worn....
weirdsmiley.gif

bt023moneysworth.jpg

What an asshat! Who would run a tire to an unsafe level like that!

I am very disappointed with you my son......

My rear BT23 is done at just over 4,000 miles.......I have that "line" going down the center of the tire.......any other So Cal riders getting high mileage out of their tires or do I have a very heavy wrist??

I keep the rear PSI at 40 also....still can't get more miles out of a rear.

Last edited by a moderator:
After 10,323 miles, I believe I am done with these factory BT-023s.... though I am just into indicator bands on the rear...
... this front is a bit, um, worn....
weirdsmiley.gif

bt023moneysworth.jpg

I bet the handling was a bit off at the end, eh?

What an asshat! Who would run a tire to an unsafe level like that!
I am very disappointed with you my son......
Someone left the door open... Who the heck is this guy?

tonguesmiley.gif

I bet the handling was a bit off at the end, eh?

Ack, it was beyond horrible. It took considerable effort to initiate any leaning, and I couldn't maintain a very decent line through curves. The last 75 miles were the worse... I took the above picture at Pendleton, Oregon, when I still had 75 miles to get back home in the Columbia Basin. T'wasn't a whole lot of leaning going on during those last 75 miles...
weirdsmiley.gif

Strange wear pattern... seems that my right turns appear to be harder on the tire than my left turns...
shrug.gif