The Evil that is 13....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ Warchild: After 10K miles, do you have any comments on the stock suspension of the '13 FJR?

I'm seriously thinking of letting my '05 go and buying a '13. But I've done the Wilbers shock and fork spring upgrade and I hate to take an expensive step backward in the handling department.

By the way, I think that front is bit.

Thanks.

@ Warchild: After 10K miles, do you have any comments on the stock suspension of the '13 FJR?
I might have comments, mostly negative, but I believe this comes more from how the 'Stones were so awful the last 4000-ish miles, then the stock suspension. I will be mounting up fresh Avon Storms tonight, and have a little 600-mile jaunt on Wednesday to see my daughters, so I'll hold comment until then.

I'm seriously thinking of letting my '05 go and buying a '13. But I've done the Wilbers shock and fork spring upgrade and I hate to take an expensive step backward in the handling department.
I am not 100% certain that my Wilbers shock from my Gen I won't fit this Gen III.... but I am going to pull it off the old Gen I and find out! If it fits, great. If it doesn't, some lucky Gen I guy will get a killer deal on a freshly re-built Wilbers...

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not 100% certain that my Wilbers shock from my Gen I won't fit this Gen III.... but I am going to pull it off the old Gen I and find out! If it fits, great. If it doesn't, some lucky Gen I guy will get a killer deal on a freshly re-built Wilbers...
Dibs! :lol:

bt023moneysworth.jpg
I bet the handling was a bit off at the end, eh?

Ack, it was beyond horrible. It took considerable effort to initiate any leaning, and I couldn't maintain a very decent line through curves. The last 75 miles were the worse... I took the above picture at Pendleton, Oregon, when I still had 75 miles to get back home in the Columbia Basin. T'wasn't a whole lot of leaning going on during those last 75 miles...
weirdsmiley.gif

Strange wear pattern... seems that my right turns appear to be harder on the tire than my left turns...
shrug.gif
on the bright side, it was still holding air
rolleyes.gif

Dibs!
laugh.png

Sorry to burst that bubble,. but there is really no reason any FJR shock (1st or second gen) wouldn't fit a 3rd gen. May require a respring, but the shock should fit and work fine.

Sorry to burst that bubble,. but there is really no reason any FJR shock (1st or second gen) wouldn't fit a 3rd gen. May require a respring, but the shock should fit and work fine.
Yep, that's what I am thinking as well... this Wilbers of mine was sprung almighty heavy, as I was planning on two-up extensive touring at the time. Hate to have to do the re-spring game, but, we'll see...

I must be a wimp rider. I got 9,000 out of the 023s on my 2013 and they had at least a couple of thousand left, but I took them off early to put on new PR2s in preparation for my combo USA Four Corners Tour and the Three Flags Classic. There is a heckuva difference between Sport and Touring and I almost always use Touring.

Now we're talking the business here....

freshavons.jpg

I tell's ya what, these Storm Ultra II's are a welcomed sight after that Bridgestone fiasco...
weirdsmiley.gif

I've heard such good things about the Storms. Need to try them maybe after I finish off these Angel GT's sitting in my garage waiting on my PR2's to wear out. 12,160 miles and counting.

Dibs!
laugh.png

I'm very seriously thinking about the money I've got invested in my Cogent/Ohlins suspension setup on my 04. I'm pretty sure the back will fit. Just not sure about the forks. Gonna have to give them a good eyeballin'.

I'm really happy with the stock suspension, at least in touring mode. But I know it's going to go-away soon enough.

After 10,323 miles, I believe I am done with these factory BT-023s.... though I am just into indicator bands on the rear...
... this front is a bit, um, worn.... :weirdsmiley

[img=[URL="https://www.fjrtech.net/2013fjr/bt023moneysworth.jpg%5D"]https://www.fjrtech.net/2013fjr/bt023moneysworth.jpg][/URL]
Lotsa freeway ramps and cloverleafs at speed, Dale?

As WC notes, the 023s suck in the rain. Having said that, if you live (or only ride) in drier weather than I do in teh Pacific Northwet, I have a set of 023s I took off at 500 miles. Someone make me an offer...

As for 'S' vs 'T', keep it above 4K RPM, same-same no worries. :D Below that, there is no reason the meatware velocity controller can't be programmed for the same level of smooth control as the ECU delivers.

As WC notes, the 023s suck in the rain. Having said that, if you live (or only ride) in drier weather than I do in teh Pacific Northwet, I have a set of 023s I took off at 500 miles. Someone make me an offer....
I'll bite, GTs or just plain 'ol 023s? If the former than I'm interested.

--G

Dean i would make you an offer for them but i am SO liking the 190/55 option that i am staying with it....

R

OK, ok, . . . enough already. I've read all 32 pages and I'm convinced. I need to buy a new FJR and let my previous three ST1300s become fond memories as I venture out into this new riding adventure.

My only, repeat, ONLY, reservation before writing the check is: what do I need to add to the 2013 for it to fit a 6'2" rider. Sitting on the bike at the dealership, my knees are only a hairs breath away from resting on plastic and with he seat set to it's max height, the forward lean will be killing my 65 year old back in short order. I know the seat has to go and enjoyed seeing the before and after pics of Warchild's Mayer replacement.

So, suggestions/guidance on what a taller FJR neophyte needs to get for leg room and to sit upright? All help appreciated.

If this is not the best place to post this question, chastise and refer this ignorant one to a better spot. Please.

Shuey

PS: . . . for couse, once I can actually fit on this bike, I'll need to start the serious farkling: 2 sets aux lights, 2 GPSs, heated gear outlet, aux tank, top box . . . :)

OK, ok, . . . enough already.So, suggestions/guidance on what a taller FJR neophyte needs to get for leg room and to sit upright? All help appreciated.
Might be good to start your own thread...probably get a few more bites that way...but,
Consider an aftermarket seat, probably a RDL as it sounds like you need the add'l leg room. A Heli triple clamp will move the bars back and help with the forward lean and finally...a taller windshield since you're sitting taller in the saddle.

Good luck with the search, you won't be disappointed!

--G

After 10,323 miles, I believe I am done with these factory BT-023s.... though I am just into indicator bands on the rear...
... this front is a bit, um, worn....
weirdsmiley.gif

bt023moneysworth.jpg
I think there must be a ratio calculation somewhere for the width of chicken strips vs. total mileage ... (pretty wide! LOL). I am on my 3rd set of BT-023-GT's and can only get 3 to 4k out of the rear and 5 to 6k out of the front. But I have to admit I am very hard on the throttle and the in the turns (my chicken strips are only about 1/4" wide).

I will be needing a new set soon. I really do like the BT-023-GT as they hold much better than tires I have run in the past. Michelin PR3's? Avon Storm 2 Ultras? Dunlops? Pirelli's? ... it seems like tire technology has changed for the better in the recent year or two.

Now if it would just stop raining out here in the south east I could ride more (need a whole other thread for that).