The first AE recall???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably this mounting system is not stout enough to take the back-and-forth hammering of the shift rod linkage. For instance if you pull to a stop light in 5th gear and start downshifting to 1st while sitting still the shift rod and actuator might take a bit of a beating.
There's more. Apparently, there is some internal engineering research that Yamaha have just barely failed to keep within their walls. From a document called Yamaha Operational Worksheet, Internal Engineering #2006-23, a "sympathetic vibration occurs in the primary drive train as shifting speeds approach a resonant frequency at 5.5 shifts per second." Later in the document, "though not likely to occur under normal use, recent evidence has been uncovered that suggests at least one #%$*@! is shifting his AE 5.5 times per second." And, finally, "therefore, for the protection of all of the other customers, the appropriate step would be to issue a technical service bulletin (TSB) requiring updates to the actuator componentry at Yamaha distribution points."

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably this mounting system is not stout enough to take the back-and-forth hammering of the shift rod linkage. For instance if you pull to a stop light in 5th gear and start downshifting to 1st while sitting still the shift rod and actuator might take a bit of a beating.
There's more. Apparently, there is some internal engineering research that Yamaha have just barely failed to keep within their walls. From a document called Yamaha Operational Worksheet, Internal Engineering #2006-23, a "sympathetic vibration occurs in the primary drive train as shifting speeds approach a resonant frequency at 5.5 shifts per second." Later in the document, "though not likely to occur under normal use, recent evidence has been uncovered that suggests at least one #%$*@! is shifting his AE 5.5 times per second." And, finally, "therefore, for the protection of all of the other customers, the appropriate step would be to issue a technical service bulletin (TSB) requiring updates to the actuator componentry at Yamaha distribution points."
:laughingsmiley:

Hmm, I wunder who dat wus??? Someone with too much time on their hands, maybe. :evilgrin:

Yamaha should have included two downshift buttons. Pressing Button 'A' shifts one gear down. Pressing Button 'B' is the 'Express Down' -- goes down to 1st gear automatically no matter what gear you're in.

Using the 'Express Down' button would be ideal for when you're coming to a stop. The computer could sequence all the down shifts to ensure that the shifting servo, etc. get their needed R & R between shifts -- don't overwork the mechanism.

Yamaha should have included two downshift buttons. Pressing Button 'A' shifts one gear down. Pressing Button 'B' is the 'Express Down' -- goes down to 1st gear automatically no matter what gear you're in.
Using the 'Express Down' button would be ideal for when you're coming to a stop. The computer could sequence all the down shifts to ensure that the shifting servo, etc. get their needed R & R between shifts -- don't overwork the mechanism.
Royal Enfield had a mechanical version of that idea from at least the 50's. Toe the neutral finder and it shifted directly to first gear from any gear.

T120TT said:

Royal Enfield had a mechanical version of that idea from at least the 50's. Toe the neutral finder and it shifted directly to first gear from any gear.
Correction: toe the neutral finder and it went directly to neutral from any gear. Jeesh, I'm gettin' old.

Just got back from checking the mail. In today's junk was an envelope from Mama Yammie. What's this? A thank you goody for buying a new bike? An extended warranty offer? No to all the above. A new Owners Manual???? Seems they want me to know what to do if the electronic shift mechanism malfunctions. Oh, and a letter informing me that, while they thank me for buying the AE model and the FJR riders are a demanding bunch, they want me to bring the bike back. :angry2:
"We have determined that the electronic shift actuator mechanism on your motorcycle should be mounted more securely to deliver the kind of durability you and Yamaha expect over the long haul". HMMMMM!!!!! Does this sound like a recall to you? It does to me. B)

The repair will add 3 new brackets for sturdier mounting and should take about an hour, "although your dealer may need to keep your motorcycle longer depending upon his Service Department schedule or if he needs to order a brand new actuator assembly." :dribble:

I guess I should have expected as much. I know I bought a braand new technology and this type of thing happens when you do that. Am I really that upset. No, just did not want the A model owners with the 17MPG problem to feel lonely. :)
I have AE #249 and haven't received notification from Yamaha as yet. Anyone else still waiting on the recall notice?

AE #257

I called Yamaha yesterday P.M. They told me that

their records show the modification has been done

on my bike. I know it wasn't done by the dealer, so

that leaves the distribution center or the factory.

I'm number 209. When I came home on Saturday from a week in Nevada and Utah, I had my notice waiting for me. Apparently I was notified before Sunnyside because I was there Saturday morning, and they didn't mention anything about it. It used to be this way in the car business too. The dealer was often the last to know about recalls, special policy repairs etc. I'm not to concerned about the repair at this point. Two months, and 7,000 miles later, mine is still working great.

I got a look at the Yamaha Canada's version of the recall this morning at my local dealer. It is M06-073, dated August 25/06. The AE's included in this recall are SN# JYARP16E6A00002-000101. As of today, nothing in the mail from Yahama.

What was interesting when I read the "install" instructions, was that should the shifter, at 29 lbs torque in either direction, move, a clutch assembly was in order. This little gem was priced at $763.00Cdn; pricy little bugger to have to replace should it fail after warranty expiry.

#1 funny stuff!

AE #257I called Yamaha yesterday P.M. They told me that

I'd like to know what the repair kit looks like so I could examine it for myself to see if it has been done. Someone posted the recall notice and I thought it said all AE's up to #327 or thereabouts. Let's get to the bottom of this somehow.

I added most of the TBS info in the bin-o-fact (06 version)

link

look for the "Recall/Technical Service Bulletin" near the top -- also includes the ranges of S/N's affected.

I added most of the TBS info in the bin-o-fact (06 version)
link

look for the "Recall/Technical Service Bulletin" near the top -- also includes the ranges of S/N's affected.
Interesting. So far, it appears notification is sporadic even if VIN falls within affected bikes {according to bulletin}.

AE #257I called Yamaha yesterday P.M. They told me that

Can you post Yamaha's number? I'd like to speak with them too.

AE #257Customer Relations 1-800-962-7926

Have VIN available

Be prepared to hold a few minutes
I just got off the phone with customer relations. My AE #249 had the update done at the warehouse before being sent to the dealer. Also, my owner's manual is the latest version that comes with the update, part # LIT-11626-19-87, so I'm confident it was done. According to the posted bulletin, my bike falls in the range needing to be addressed {up to 000327}. Apparently, that doesn't mean all the bikes falling within that range need the update as many, even most, have probably been modified before the owners recieved them. Clear as mud?

My dealer say he won't order the parts, until I bring my bike in for a test. I asked wasn't the test to be performed after the brackets were install? And then if they failed, the actuator was suppose to be replaced? He said he'd call me back... no respone yet :angry2:

Perhaps I have the very first AE with a actuator that must be changed due to failing the 29 ft. lb. test required of in in the tech sheet. So the actuator must be changed before doing the drilling and bracket installs. My YOC mechanic a real 5 star Yamaha certified mechanic said the job would take much more than one hour per the tech bulletin.

Guess I am just lucky. HUH?? Glad they caught the problem before I head back to FL and TN. I had no indication that the shifting unit had a malfunction. It has been running great for the 6K miles I have put on it since 8 June 06 delivery.

Perhaps we have a problem HOUSTON!! seems an extended warranty that I just bought might come in handy.

AE #257

Customer Relations 1-800-962-7926

Have VIN available

Be prepared to hold a few minutes
I just got off the phone with customer relations. My AE #249 had the update done at the warehouse before being sent to the dealer. Also, my owner's manual is the latest version that comes with the update, part # LIT-11626-19-87, so I'm confident it was done. According to the posted bulletin, my bike falls in the range needing to be addressed {up to 000327}. Apparently, that doesn't mean all the bikes falling within that range need the update as many, even most, have probably been modified before the owners recieved them. Clear as mud?
I got a call from my dealer this AM saying my recall update kit was in. They had ordered it prior to my call to Yamaha customer relations {read my previous post}. Just to be sure, I went to the dealer to examine the update bracket kit and it included everything that has been described here {bracket, drill bits, etc.}. I had a good look at my shifter servo mechanism and can say with certainty that the updated reinforceing kit has been installed. Therefore, I won't need the update kit. That is, unless I'm looking at the wrong part. The mechanisim I'm talikng about is located in back of the left silver side panel and is mounted with two allen head bolts. The rear bolt goes through a double tang bracket on the frame. The mechanism must be remover to gain access to the top

shock bolt if you are removing the shock. Can someone verify that I'm talking about the correct part in question?

Last edited by a moderator: