The first AE recall???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AE #257

Customer Relations 1-800-962-7926

Have VIN available

Be prepared to hold a few minutes
I just got off the phone with customer relations. My AE #249 had the update done at the warehouse before being sent to the dealer. Also, my owner's manual is the latest version that comes with the update, part # LIT-11626-19-87, so I'm confident it was done. According to the posted bulletin, my bike falls in the range needing to be addressed {up to 000327}. Apparently, that doesn't mean all the bikes falling within that range need the update as many, even most, have probably been modified before the owners recieved them. Clear as mud?
I got a call from my dealer this AM saying my recall update kit was in. They had ordered it prior to my call to Yamaha customer relations {read my previous post}. Just to be sure, I went to the dealer to examine the update bracket kit and it included everything that has been described here {bracket, drill bits, etc.}. I had a good look at my shifter servo mechanism and can say with certainty that the updated reinforceing kit has NOT been installed on my bike {#249} despite Yamaha's assurance that it HAD been installed prior to delivery to the dealer. That is, unless I'm looking at the wrong part. The mechanisim I'm talikng about is located in back of the left silver side panel and is mounted with two allen head bolts. The rear bolt goes through a double tang bracket on the frame. The mechanism must be remover to gain access to the top

shock bolt if you are removing the shock. Can someone verify that I'm talking about the correct part in question? If so, we have a credibility problem somewhere along the line.
the unit you described is the shift actutor. that is the part on my AE #000060 that has to be changed and then the bracket applied. hope this helps.

AE #257

Customer Relations 1-800-962-7926

Have VIN available

Be prepared to hold a few minutes
I just got off the phone with customer relations. My AE #249 had the update done at the warehouse before being sent to the dealer. Also, my owner's manual is the latest version that comes with the update, part # LIT-11626-19-87, so I'm confident it was done. According to the posted bulletin, my bike falls in the range needing to be addressed {up to 000327}. Apparently, that doesn't mean all the bikes falling within that range need the update as many, even most, have probably been modified before the owners recieved them. Clear as mud?
I got a call from my dealer this AM saying my recall update kit was in. They had ordered it prior to my call to Yamaha customer relations {read my previous post}. Just to be sure, I went to the dealer to examine the update bracket kit and it included everything that has been described here {bracket, drill bits, etc.}. I had a good look at my shifter servo mechanism and can say with certainty that the updated reinforceing kit has NOT been installed on my bike {#249} despite Yamaha's assurance that it HAD been installed prior to delivery to the dealer. That is, unless I'm looking at the wrong part. The mechanisim I'm talikng about is located in back of the left silver side panel and is mounted with two allen head bolts. The rear bolt goes through a double tang bracket on the frame. The mechanism must be remover to gain access to the top

shock bolt if you are removing the shock. Can someone verify that I'm talking about the correct part in question? If so, we have a credibility problem somewhere along the line.
the unit you described is the shift actutor. that is the part on my AE #000060 that has to be changed and then the bracket applied. hope this helps.
I was mistaken. The update kit HAS been installed on my #249 just as Yamaha said. My bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a look at the Yamaha Canada's version of the recall this morning at my local dealer. It is M06-073, dated August 25/06. The AE's included in this recall are SN# JYARP16E6A00002-000101. As of today, nothing in the mail from Yahama.
What was interesting when I read the "install" instructions, was that should the shifter, at 29 lbs torque in either direction, move, a clutch assembly was in order. This little gem was priced at $763.00Cdn; pricy little bugger to have to replace should it fail after warranty expiry.
Well, Yamaha Canada delivered a new Owner's Manual to me on Friday, along with the stock "make your bike better" letter, so the recall on the AE's is alive and well in Canada

Turbodave_98,

Is Yamaha of Cucamonga keeping your bike to do the necessary work, changing the actuator, or did they let you keep it until the parts come in?

I'm still waiting for CRAP-arral, "Chaparral Motorsports" to get the kit. I wasn't too confident while addressing the recall, as they had not heard of it and demanded a visual inspection of the bike prior to ordering the kit. Upon arriaval, they didn't even remove the panel to look at the shifter and I got pissed off at the guy writting up the order. All he needed was the VIN and mileage, which I could have provided over the phone. Because I threw a tantrum, they "promised" to do it while I wait......sure!

Let the games begin indeed, round #2, waiting to see what happens next? Meanwhile, this kind of stuff makes me somewhat nervous, good thing a bought the Y.E.S.

Turbodave_98,
Is Yamaha of Cucamonga keeping your bike to do the necessary work, changing the actuator, or did they let you keep it until the parts come in?

I'm still waiting for CRAP-arral, "Chaparral Motorsports" to get the kit. I wasn't too confident while addressing the recall, as they had not heard of it and demanded a visual inspection of the bike prior to ordering the kit. Upon arriaval, they didn't even remove the panel to look at the shifter and I got pissed off at the guy writting up the order. All he needed was the VIN and mileage, which I could have provided over the phone. Because I threw a tantrum, they "promised" to do it while I wait......sure!

Let the games begin indeed, round #2, waiting to see what happens next? Meanwhile, this kind of stuff makes me somewhat nervous, good thing a bought the Y.E.S.
Yep, Yamaha of Cucamonga inspected the bike, ordered the part and released it and I have ridden it the past 2 days with no problem. Should get the repair parts in several days and then call me in to leave it. Contact them at 909- 987-2411. Ask for Jay or Scott co -owners.

Turbodave_98,

My dealer ordered the kit simply from info I gave him over the phone. I told him about the recall and gave him my VIN number. He verified the recall notice while I waited on the phone. He then ordered the update kit immediately and said he'd call when it came in, which he did today. I went over and had a look and sho 'nuff, the update that Yamaha said had been installed had NOT been installed. I have the latest owner's manual that came with the bike, which Yamaha customer relations said was an indication work had been done. They even said they could pinpoint where and who did the work as well as the guy in charge of the recall program. I will be talking to them again on Tuesday.

:bike: Well, since I started this thing I never thought there would be so many replies and so many views.

The latest on my AE from TejasMotorsports is that they have received the parts and would like for me to bring the bike in. I made an appointment for next Sat. AM. They did warn me that I should be prepared to leave the bike if the new actuator was needed. The service guy started to tell me why I might need to leave it and wondered how I knew that the parts should be replaced, then the torque checked on the spline and if it does not meet the 29ft/lb limit then a new actuator would be needed. They were somewhat surpprised that I knew the procedure, THX Rickster, to complete the upgrade. Told him he should check this forum for the best news regarding the FJRs. He got a laugh out of that.

I'm gong to try to get some pics of the parts and before/after so folks who have not had the upgrade can see what's involved.

Now I just need to get a trailer to haul from Sugar Land to Highlands. Don't want to get stuck there in case the have to keep it. :)

:bike: Well, since I started this thing I never thought there would be so many replies and so many views.
The latest on my AE from TejasMotorsports is that they have received the parts and would like for me to bring the bike in. I made an appointment for next Sat. AM. They did warn me that I should be prepared to leave the bike if the new actuator was needed. The service guy started to tell me why I might need to leave it and wondered how I knew that the parts should be replaced, then the torque checked on the spline and if it does not meet the 29ft/lb limit then a new actuator would be needed. They were somewhat surpprised that I knew the procedure, THX Rickster, to complete the upgrade. Told him he should check this forum for the best news regarding the FJRs. He got a laugh out of that.

I'm gong to try to get some pics of the parts and before/after so folks who have not had the upgrade can see what's involved.

Now I just need to get a trailer to haul from Sugar Land to Highlands. Don't want to get stuck there in case the have to keep it. :)
From the wording of the recall notice {as posted here}, it sounds as though the torque check should be done before changing the brackets. My bike functions flawlessly so far, so if I need a new actuator as per the torque check, I'd just as soon ride it until a new one came in rather than leave the bike with the dealer for a week. I plan to take it to them Tuesday with the plastic removed so they can check the actuator right away. I'd really like for them just to hand me the update kit and let me do it myself, but they aren't going for that. I can understand.

It appears that the reason for the torque check first -- is so that if it fails -- the brackets are added when the actuator is replaced.

It appears that the reason for the torque check first -- is so that if it fails -- the brackets are added when the actuator is replaced.
Aren't the brackets supposed to be added regardless of whether or not the actuator is bad?
Yes -- but if the fail the torque test -- in one install they get the actuator and the brackets. probably a service $$ saving's deal. If they put on the brackets, then you fail -- they'll have to remove/replace the brackets to install a new actuator.

Aren't the brackets supposed to be added regardless of whether or not the actuator is bad?
Yes -- but if the fail the torque test -- in one install they get the actuator and the brackets. probably a service $$ saving's deal. If they put on the brackets, then you fail -- they'll have to remove/replace the brackets to install a new actuator.
Ah yes. Makes sense.

From the wording of the recall notice {as posted here}, it sounds as though the torque check should be done before changing the brackets. My bike functions flawlessly so far, so if I need a new actuator as per the torque check, I'd just as soon ride it until a new one came in rather than leave the bike with the dealer for a week. I plan to take it to them Tuesday with the plastic removed so they can check the actuator right away. I'd really like for them just to hand me the update kit and let me do it myself, but they aren't going for that. I can understand.
Took my bike to the dealer this AM only to discover that the update had, in fact, already been done. Yamaha customer relations was correct and I was wrong when I stated in previous posts that it hadn't been done to my AE. I didn't know exactly what to look for and didn't have the update kit in hand for reference. So, all those who haven't recieved a recall letter can safely assume their AE has had the update. If you want to be doubley sure, check with Yammie customer relations. They can verify.

Be nice if WE knew what to look for.... just in case someone else screwed up along the way. Also just for our own peice of mind. Anxiously awaiting for pics and description...

Took my bike to the dealer this AM only to discover that the update had, in fact, already been done. Yamaha customer relations was correct and I was wrong when I stated in previous posts that it hadn't been done to my AE. I didn't know exactly what to look for and didn't have the update kit in hand for reference. So, all those who haven't recieved a recall letter can safely assume their AE has had the update. If you want to be doubley sure, check with Yammie customer relations. They can verify.

Be nice if WE knew what to look for.... just in case someone else screwed up along the way. Also just for our own peice of mind. Anxiously awaiting for pics and description...

I have still not received anything in the mail from Yamaha on my #247. I called customer service this morning and they indicated that my # needs the modification.

I too would greatly appreciate any pics of the mods to see if I have it or not.

Thanks

AJ

I have still not received anything in the mail from Yamaha on my #247. I called customer service this morning and they indicated that my # needs the modification.

Thanks

AJ
Did you ask them why you haven't been sent the recall notice? Does the part number on the front cover of your owner's manual end in 87? If so, you've had it done. If not, take it to your dealer.

Thanks

AJ
Did you ask them why you haven't been sent the recall notice? Does the part number on the front cover of your owner's manual end in 87? If so, you've had it done. If not, take it to your dealer.
It is -84. Thanks and I am contacting my dealer.

I don't know why I haven't received anything in the mail...forgot to ask.

AJ

I took the time to carefully read Yamaha Canada's service bulletin on the "Bracket" when I was at my local dealer today. It does not look complicated, and the time allowance is .8 of an hour. From what I read, it would appear that once the tupperware is off, the first step is a torque test in both directions at 29 lbs, using a dial torque wrench. If this test fails in either or both directions, the dealer is supposed to seek permission from the Yamaha Service Rep to order a new unit. It is my understanding that if a new unit is indeed required, both it and the bracket would be installed at the same time.

I am scheduled to have this work done this Friday at 10:30 hours by the dealer from whom I purchased my bike, and I will report the outcome once I return home.

I took the time to carefully read Yamaha Canada's service bulletin on the "Bracket" when I was at my local dealer today. It does not look complicated, and the time allowance is .8 of an hour. From what I read, it would appear that once the tupperware is off, the first step is a torque test in both directions at 29 lbs, using a dial torque wrench. If this test fails in either or both directions, the dealer is supposed to seek permission from the Yamaha Service Rep to order a new unit. It is my understanding that if a new unit is indeed required, both it and the bracket would be installed at the same time.
I am scheduled to have this work done this Friday at 10:30 hours by the dealer from whom I purchased my bike, and I will report the outcome once I return home.

Sept8/2006 - The install

First off, the poor old dealer gets a rip from Mammie Yammie, as the .8 of an hour labor allowance is WAY to little for this job. My estimate, after carefully reading the service bulletin was 1.5 hrs, and the VERY experienced mechanic who worked on my bike took 1.4 hrs, start to finish.

I stood and watched the mechanic, using the proscribed dial torque wrench and the adapter included in the kit put the 29 lbs clock/counterclockwise twist on the shifter; mine did not slip, which again is what Yamaha states; most will be fine. I put the bike through its paces on the 100km return ride home, and I noticed virtually no difference whatsoever in the shifting, still a little rough going up, smooth as glass coming down. My bike currently has 4000kms on it, and like the "tick", only time will tell if this expensive component will fail prematurely as the kms pile on. Oh well, the price one pays for bleeding edge technology.